2.3L from s model into i

:
2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan
I'm thinking about getting a 2.3L engine at the end of my warranty to replace the 2.0L in my i sedan. 2.3L's should be plentiful because they are also used in the Mazda6.

What I'm wondering is if my 5speed will mate up with the 2.3L exactly the same or not. I'm guessing that all I'd need to do is get the 2.3L ECU with the engine, and probably some exaust plumbing.

I know you're all thinking I should have just bought the s model but I don't like the way the s looks as much as the i, and the s is not available in Nordic Green.

The 3s and 3i both use the same MTX transmission. The G35M-R, which is a variant of the 3rd gen protege's, and 626's.

As for engine swapping...I have no idea over the complexity of the operation. Obviously it should work, but the key factor is going to be the PCM. That'll be your snag if you get any.

Then of course there isn't really a big power difference between the i and s anyway...would probably be cheaper and more power effective to just have a custom turbo fabricated for your car as your easily talking 3-5k with labor to do the engine swap.

Why spend 3,000 USD for 12 hp (160 vs 148), when you can get 50-70 for the same price and without all the hassles? Plus you'd have an awesome sleeper! And a great autocrossing car due to the 3i's weight.

you would have to drive both the 3s and 6i to understand the full reason behind weight difrences in autox...2.3 auto 6 might be as slow as your 2.0 manual 3:( there are people out there with bigger problems...I didn't know there was a 2.0 optio for the mazda suv...that should have gotten the 2.3 option and for limited edition a rotory(rockon)

Last edited:
Yeah I have to agree...it's not worth the modest power increase. Spend the money on a properly-tuned turbo kit for the 2.0.

crossbow said:
The 3s and 3i both use the same MTX transmission. The G35M-R, which is a variant of the 3rd gen protege's, and 626's.

As for engine swapping...I have no idea over the complexity of the operation. Obviously it should work, but the key factor is going to be the PCM. That'll be your snag if you get any.

Then of course there isn't really a big power difference between the i and s anyway...would probably be cheaper and more power effective to just have a custom turbo fabricated for your car as your easily talking 3-5k with labor to do the engine swap.

Why spend 3,000 USD for 12 hp (160 vs 148), when you can get 50-70 for the same price and without all the hassles? Plus you'd have an awesome sleeper! And a great autocrossing car due to the 3i's weight.
I agree with crossbow, you should really just turbo. At that price, I bet you can even get new exhaust intake and some new nice looking mags maybe.

The 2.0L will be right there next to us if not ahead once mods come out for it. Both of the engines are very capable of producing great numbers. Once mods start coming serious tuners will most likely get a striped down 2.0L over the 2.3L
And also I think MarcyMotorSports will be makeing a stroker kit for the 2.0L too.

One more thing. I think the gear ratio of the tranny for the 2.0 is better for if you choose to mod your engine.

smaller engine also means slightly cheaper to insure(flash)

Along the same lines....

I just bought my mazda, I wanted to buy a 2.0L MT but there were no 2.0L available. So I had to settle for the 2.0L AT one. I've found that the AT 2.0L has a noticable deficit of power when passing.

I'm a first time car owner and have no desire to "asian" up my car(Although I am asian..:) What modifications I could do until the turbo kit becomes available to get more power? What woulld be the most cost effective way of getting that extra couple hp to tie me over utnil I can get a turbo addition?

Thanks everyone.

don't know...depends how much money you want to spend. If you get N/A mods they will need to be pulled for FI Mods. CAI isn't aplicable for FI. Header and 2.25 ehxaust kit wouldn't be applicable for FI depending on what trim you tack on there. best bet is to get rims and according to alot of V8 owners your car was an asian delecacy when they dropped the 4 banger in it. Just don't make it "stereotype" asianized and you should have fun with your car.

Back