Who is getting Black for their MSP?

Proto-JB

After browsing this forum for a while now, I noticed that most folks here are going Spicy Orange for their MSP. While I don't think its a bad color (I think Mazda got the idea from the Supra in F&F), I wanna go total sleeper when I get my MSP. I'm taking off the MAZDASPEED badge first thing. The only thing that will set mine apart from the rest is when I get nice front mount IC put in.

So who else out there is going black??

And another thing, if their Orange is gonna be called "Spicy Orange", then I want my black to be called "Pepper Spray":cool:

JasonH said:
Intercooler. The MS Protege comes with a front-mounted one, but I guess Proto-JB doesn't consider it "nice".:)

The FMIC from the Euro diesel Protege is ok, but I want something a little more like this one:

hks%20intercoolers.JPG

Black for me. By the way, I don't think I've seen any up close pictures of the front air dam. Will you be able to see the intercooler?

dude dont waste your money on an aftermarket FMIC. from the looks and placement of the stock one im sure that itll be good for up to 10-11 psi and i really doubt that you would want to go above 10 with the lil t25

iam getting a black but i still really like the orange i think it looks so sick on the speed, it just makes it stand out and you can really tell what car it is. I dunno if that makes sense but thats what i think

That intercooler is going to be a big thing that is on my list to replace. It is small. It matters almost as much as how big it is, to where it is mounted. It is better to have the stock i/c mounted in front, it is even better to have a big one out front. The reason why they didn't mount it out front was because of crash testing.

If you look at the Spirit R/T it is almost the same I/C. My friend is working on moving it to the front to help cooling. He also said he would also like to get a bigger one. The eclispes have small I/C's and they are in the fender. Bad on both accounts. We have a small one but it is mounted in a descent spot.

I have a bigger Front Mount all ready to go in...but...it will void the warranty..... also have bigger injectors and a BOV ready to go in....I am beggin for more power...but that damn warranty is holding me back!

-Jeremy-

im still telling you man... you do not need a bigger IC with that little t25 turbo. not only will the turbo be running out of breath quickly at higher boost levels but youll definately see significant pressure loss, itll take longer for the air to get to the engine as well. the small turbo can only flow a little volume of air and if you put larger, longer piping in with a large IC then you will be significantly hindering the overall performace. trust me i know what im talking about

but now if you upgrade the turbo to a larger unit which will flow 10-15 psi all day then a large (18x10x3) FMIC will in fact provide a power increase

dont forgot that with only 6 psi the incoming charge doesnt heat up that much so what do u need with a huge IC which wont cool it down much farther but yet pose all the other probs?

It matters almost as much as how big it is, to where it is mounted. It is better to have the stock i/c mounted in front, it is even better to have a big one out front.
For a low boost setup such as the one on the MS Protege, a big FMIC is not needed. You will get NO hp increase from a big front mount. You might even get a decrease in hp if you get a big front mount. You ask why? With a big intercooler, there will be a pressure drop across the intercooler. The turbo might be putting out 6.5psi, after the IC, you will be getting 5.5psi with a big intercooler. The only time you need a big intercooler is when you are pushing some major boost, such as 12 to 20psi, then the pressure dorp is accepted because you need the big intercooler to cool down that highly pressurized air. I'm not saying I wouldn't get the FMIC also, but just realize it will just be for looks. If you get a bigger IC, you should also get a boost controler so you can increase the boost to compensate fo the pressure loss. If you want to see more hp from the MS Protege, your best bet is to go for the exhaust system first. Then get some kind of timing controler or knock controler and increase the boost. Then with the increase in boost, then get the FMIC. If you get the FMIC first, you will spend lots of money and get a loss in HP.

Who said anything about keeping it at stock boost levels...heehee.....
Just be careful. If you are going to go over 8psi, make SURE you get some kind of aftermarket timing controller or knock controler. And ALWAYS use premium gas. I can't wait to see what kind of power people can get out of the MS Protege.

Proto-JB... i apologize. it's not your signature that looks way similar to mine....it's prophet's new signature that looks exactly like mine!

Why you!!.....:p
(flame)

sorry for getting off topic..

Prophet said:

I have a bigger Front Mount all ready to go in...but...it will void the warranty..... also have bigger injectors and a BOV ready to go in....I am beggin for more power...but that damn warranty is holding me back!

-Jeremy-

Prophet, which company/brand makes the BOV that you have ready to go on? Where can i get one of those?..
how much did you get it for?.

Thanks!

hey prophet dude becareful... dont forget that the engines internals are all stock and that the turbo is indeed the smallest u can get. its not as easy as turning up the boost and gunnin it, if you do that then you seriously risk a blown motor and a shot turbo

in my opinion it is far too early to begin guaging the MSP's tuning potential until we actually see all the things its comprised of. fuel delivery, ecu management and actual build all come into play as well as several other key factors that will limit performance

i could bet that u could prolly just get a profec-b, turn the boost up to 12 and get over 200hp but i doubt that you will be driving like that for long before u mess something up... dont start off with an IC or some fancy crap but make sure that you know the car mechanically and start with all the reliability mods.

as soon as i get mine i will install a defi boost and water temp guage, followed by a greddy turbo timer and also upgrade the radiator with a fluidyne. dont forget that the turbo is both oil and coolant feed... if you plan on turning it up then you better make sure that you keep it cool

oh and limited edition... i currently have a HKS SSBOV on my car and it is by far the best sounding, performing and looking BOV out there. many will agree with me. you can pick one up for about $190 US and rig something up to place it in the same location as the stock one on the MSP

Last edited:
I really didn't mean to start up a debate, with Sport Compact Car talking about how the IC is one of the areas that could be improved, it was on my short list of mods that I want to do to the MSP.

I'll probably go for a turbo back or cat back exhaust first and see what that does for me. Maybe even a BOV so everyone will know I have a turbo inside :)

Will a BOV slow up the spool time for the turbo. :confused: ?

i just didnt want someone getting misdirected thinking that they need to spend alot of money on a big IC and then be disappointed that they actually lost power and response.

as far as the blowoff valve goes... all an aftermarket one will do is look and sound cool, the stock one is more than sufficient for this car and probably wont need actual upgrading up until about 15+ psi. all a blowoff valve does is release the compressed air out of the IC piping when the throttle body closes therefore keeping the turbo fully spooled inbetween shifts (the compressed air doesnt bounce back off the TB and impact the propeller on the turbo, despooling it). than again the stock one does the same thing. the only time you really NEED to upgrade to an aftermarket BOV is when your pushing some serious boost because the aftermarket ones are capable of releasing alot more boost than a stock one can.

if you want the cool sound but dont want to spend $300+ CDN then i suggest u just disconnect the pipe coming out of the stock BOV and plug the otherside where the charge recirculates into the intake. it might not sound as kewl as the HKS one but itll still give you the "swoosh" sound

Back