Headers... any word on them?

Fobby_Monkey said:

Hmmm do they have a website. I did a google on Draxa and couldnt find any info. Any one got any other options for Headers. Those plastic looking things kinda bug (notcool)

Draxas is currently doing R&D on the headers for the 3 they will be out in september. They are one of my sponsors they are also coming out with an exhaust. The headers for the 3 will not be street legal in any application because they are directly connected to the primary cat. Which replacing the header would make the car non street legal. Also the plastic on the headers help with keeping the engine and engine bay cool which is a plus for performance.

yes they are ceramic coating them so you can ditch the stock heat shielding.

KING13 said:
Draxas is currently doing R&D on the headers for the 3 they will be out in september. They are one of my sponsors they are also coming out with an exhaust. The headers for the 3 will not be street legal in any application because they are directly connected to the primary cat. Which replacing the header would make the car non street legal. Also the plastic on the headers help with keeping the engine and engine bay cool which is a plus for performance.

Hmm That is some good information I'm really new to the tunning world and I never knew that replacing the headers would make the car non-street legal. Is this just for the Draxas application or will any replacement header make the car non street legal. Also is the stock header made of plastic or is it made of some sort of metal and just plastic coated. I always kinda thought that the plastic would conduct heat. Nonetheless this is good information. (rockon)

Kimo5d3s said:
Also is the stock header made of plastic or is it made of some sort of metal and just plastic coated. I always kinda thought that the plastic would conduct heat. Nonetheless this is good information. (rockon)

If you're talking about the manifold on the front of the engine, that's the intake, not the exhaust.

The factory exhaust manifold is metal and it incorporates the forward catalyst. Replacing it would be illegal because you would be removing emission control components (unless you add another cat downstream to replace it).

Illegal?

I would think it would be of benefit to Draxas to make the header so that the original cat or a replacement one could be "bolted" or welded on. This would make the header street legal and more people would be willing to buy it.

yeah cause if you have 2 cats and catback delets one and header delets another...that wouldn't be good. Most people will do both catback and header so it would be ideal to keep a cat and O2 sensors unless you want the car to loose power when the cel for bad cat efficency comes on. I'm assuming they already know this but just in case you might wanna shoot an email their way just to cover all bases. they are metal with a ceramic coating to reduce underhood heat temps. If they did the same thing they are doing for us they changed the fingers to spin the air into the collector. They also would be same DBL as stock so you don't sound like a civic hatch.

Da 6 said:
yeah cause if you have 2 cats and catback delets one and header delets another...that wouldn't be good. Most people will do both catback and header so it would be ideal to keep a cat and O2 sensors unless you want the car to loose power when the cel for bad cat efficency comes on. I'm assuming they already know this but just in case you might wanna shoot an email their way just to cover all bases. they are metal with a ceramic coating to reduce underhood heat temps. If they did the same thing they are doing for us they changed the fingers to spin the air into the collector. They also would be same DBL as stock so you don't sound like a civic hatch.

I some palces it would still not pass. Any you will not lose any power or throw a CEL if you remove the cats the right way.
Man your post are hard as hell to understand! (help)

I held a C average in english....my posts are perfect compared to my hand writing. Perfect for a doctor. yes the O2 sims would make the car think it's there and you cauld always holow out a cat and slide it over the pipes for visual inspection(laugh) I had a friend who borrows my obd II reader cause whoever did his setup did'nt do the sim right and his car goes in and out of "Limp Mode"

OK, I guess I'll tell everyone...

Hey guys, just a heads up, go swing over to Auto-EXE's website and drop them an email about the header they will be releasing this October... you won't be sorry you did (hint: VERY chrome and twisty). It should retail for $1200 shipped to the US (ouch!) but is expected to yield 11hp at 6300rpm and 9.5 ft/lbs at 5000rpm. But that's just the beginning, if used in conjunction with their existing exhaust and intake systems, the total package is estimated to produce a 26hp gain throughout nearly the entire RPM curve. I already have the intake system (wow, see pic), the only thing that sucks is that you almost have to sell a kidney to buy the stuff. I'll keep you posted on future J-spec parts. Also, they have a set of power folding Japan-only mirrors with control switch available from the parts department at Mazda Japan for $300, I got mine for $175 from a wrecked Axela in Yokohama, JP. Happy hunting!

Avery
2004 Mazda3s 5-door, Winning Blue, 5-speed
Mods: Cork-Sport blue LED interior lighting kit, Auto-EXE carbon fiber Ram-Air intake kit and brushed titanium shift knob (available through Japan only), Axela badge, Red Axela J-spec taillights, power folding J-spec Axela mirrors w/control switch, Mazdaspeed Circle-Earth ground kit, custom carbon fiber radio-dash panel holding a Pioneer DEH-P9300 receiver, Audiobahn 2400w 4ch to 4 sets of Infinity Perfect 5 1/4" component speakers, MA Audio 1200w Mono-bloc Amp to 3 Alumapro Alchemy 10" subs (sealed box).

Coming soon: Auto-EXE exhuast and header set, Auto-EXE full suspension system, Recaro seats, 18x8" Do-luck Double-Six rims.

Attachments

• Me and 3.jpg
    Me and 3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 223
  • a139140.jpg
    a139140.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 193
  • mbk959.jpg
    mbk959.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 222
yeah I could.ve told you that...the rear section for the 6 is $1000! 2 mufflers D000DE and no soundclip or dynosheet! At least you can talk to draxas...
also nim...?where are you located?

Da 6 said:
yeah I could.ve told you that...the rear section for the 6 is $1000! 2 mufflers D000DE and no soundclip or dynosheet! At least you can talk to draxas...
also nim...?where are you located?

Yeah! I love the soundclips Auto-EXE gives you, the trick is when you're navigating a Japanese site and you don't read Japanese... Really wicked parts though, the intake I ordered from them looks like something out of a Le Mans prototype car or something, and the shifter knob is very JDM tuner style.

oh yeah Da 6: I'm in Orlando, Florida

Sup NIM and welcome to the boards. From the sound of it, you have a pretty kick ass ride being created. YOU MUST POST PICS! of these items installed. Do you have any? Hopefully you do and we can stop fantasizing about how they might look. Thanks!

still waiting for them...I'm going turbo this time N/a is way too expensive but a header would be cool ..I'm sure it will give 10whp+ I might purchase if it goes on sale before the high boost turbo kit..just to have some fun while I wait

Remember that JDM spec'd 3's and 6's are different then US spec'd...thus you can't look at gains the JDM variants get, and assume they'll be the same for the US spec. They'll always be less gains on our end due to the lower compression, and emissions equipment.

This of course also means that you can't go buying JDM equipment "expecting" it to fit. Of course most of it can be modified to fit, or may fit, but don't assume its going to fit, always leave time and money for modification. This especially applies to any type of body kit and/or engine mod. (JDM spec doesn't have 5 mph bumpers)

Back