taking delivery

hey guys!...

It's been a long wait! and yet, i still haven't heard anything about delivery date here in Toronto from my dealership...but i'm prepared when they do call me about it's arrival.
So, the question is, what should i look for when i take delivery of this car? Or what should anyone look for while taking delivery or a new car?

This is pretty much my first car, and i don't have much experience with these kind of things..like always, i know you guys can help. :)

ThankS!

Read the Autoweek review (okay...lemme find it...here.) They mention:
He (Kelvin Hiraishi of Mazda R&D in Irvine, CA) also said they kept the castor and camber but added one degree of toe-out front and rear vs. zero toe-out on the MP3.
Alignment is an art, he said, adding that the MazdaSpeed dealer will have to set the final alignment when each car leaves the showroom.
So I would be sure to ask them if they set the alignment properly. Other than that, make sure the car doesn't have any cosmetic damage all around. You'll probably know as much or more than they do about the car, so make sure everything is there (shift knob, pedals, stereo and remote, instructions for the stereo, center caps on all the wheels, wheel locks, cargo net, etc.) Don't let them put any dealer stickers on the car. Of course, drive it! Make sure it doesn't make any noises that you think are out of the ordinary. Make sure they filled the tank with premium. Check the other fluids. It's common for the shifter to be notchy at first, but that should go away once it's broken in. Make sure everything works. All the climate control settings, all the windows and all the window switches, lights (exterior and interior), and anything else you can think of.

If anything's missing or not right, be sure to get something in writing if they're going to provide it or fix it later.

This is pretty much my checklist too, but I'll probably be even more annoying since this will be my first new car. I also plan on getting some free Mazdaspeed swag, be it apparel, decals, a showroom banner or something.

What I want to do is, if the dealer takes delivery of more than one. Inspect all that are there. Pick the one that you want, but don't say anything. Then drive the other and beat the living hell out of it. Then go back and baby the other one on a test drive and say, I want this one.

Just check everything. Start it. Listen, look at the paint. Make sure everything looks coosher. I heard that someone was sold a '03 Cobra that had been wrecked. The guy figured it out after taking it in for service and noticed some overspray. The tech verified it after he checked the alignment of the body panels.

Anyhow, I am in the same shape as you. I don't know what all to look for when taking delivery.

Do NOT do as prophet suggested and beat the crap out of the OTHER one....someone will be getting that car.....and the last thing we want is to have someone have a bad experience with one of our cars...

if everyone went out and did that...how would you know that you were the first person they called....maybe YOU would be getting that OTHER car.....

don't treat people in a way you wouldn't want to be treated.

I agree with the others as far as driving the car first. The many years I spent at a dealership I learned quite a few nasty secrets. I worked at a Ford dealer and i can vouch for the 03 cobra's...as far as being "beaten up" when they arrived.....it was only a certain few.....but the very first one we got in had been not wrecked but driving like there was no tomorrow.....there were 17 miles on the car....the tires were as slick as a baby's bottom and a few dings as well as the car was covered in mud and did not idle correctly. We fixed everything on the car before we sold it but we never told the customer that his car had already seen how fast it could go. And i imagine it will probably be the same with these MSP's....either a truck driver or mechanic or someone will not be able to resist that urge and have to take one or two on a joy ride. But just go over the car very thorough and look for anything suspicious.....make sure the oil isn't milky....or rust in the engine bay....make sure the wheels are aligned.....look at the tread on the tires....they should have those little rubber knobby things still on there......if not...you know it has been drivin a bit. Anyways....thats my 2 1/2 cents....later guys

JasonH said:
You'll probably know as much or more than they do about the car, so make sure everything is there (shift knob, pedals, stereo and remote, instructions for the stereo, center caps on all the wheels, wheel locks, cargo net, etc.) Make sure they filled the tank with premium. Check the other fluids. It's common for the shifter to be notchy at first, but that should go away once it's broken in. Make sure everything works. All the climate control settings, all the windows and all the window switches, lights (exterior and interior), and anything else you can think of.

If anything's missing or not right, be sure to get something in writing if they're going to provide it or fix it later.

This is pretty much my checklist too, but I'll probably be even more annoying since this will be my first new car. I also plan on getting some free Mazdaspeed swag, be it apparel, decals, a showroom banner or something. [/B]

JasonH, how do you know if they put in premium fuel in the tank or regular? This is impossible to tell, even if they lied to you.
i didn't know we were suppose to get wheel locks and cargo net? is this right?:confused:

You'll be able to tell if they put regular gas in the engine.....these are considered high performance engines...therefore are designed to run their best using high octance fuel. If they put regular fuel in the engine...it will usually knock or somethin and u can feel it not running right....u can just tell if it doesnt have the power its supposed to. even the reviews and info say....max hp executed using high octance gasoline....meaning dont run the car with regular gas.....it wont get the power or performance out of the engine.

Limited Edition said:
JasonH, how do you know if they put in premium fuel in the tank or regular? This is impossible to tell, even if they lied to you.
i didn't know we were suppose to get wheel locks and cargo net? is this right?:confused:
Ask 'em. Hopefully you wouldn't buy a car from a dealer that would lie to you about something like that :rolleyes:. If you ask 'em straight up and they go "Gee, gosh, I dunno. I think we did," tell 'em to find the guy that gassed it up and let him tell you. If you have one reserved, and they tell you it's coming in soon, you might want to remind them about the premium fuel as well as making sure the alignment is correct.

Yes, it comes with the wheel locks and cargo net. The wheel locks might be in the glove compartment and not on the wheels since they don't put them on at the factory. They're in the official release info.

naw man you can use regular gas my freidns wrx runs on regular and it runs fine, the premium gas isnt that much different from regular seriously its not gunna make a difference ive talked to so many people about that my opinion is its not that different the gas stations just want you to think it is a lot better for your car. A lot of you guys might not agree but thats just what i think.

colin949 said:
naw man you can use regular gas my freidns wrx runs on regular and it runs fine, the premium gas isnt that much different from regular seriously its not gunna make a difference ive talked to so many people about that my opinion is its not that different the gas stations just want you to think it is a lot better for your car. A lot of you guys might not agree but thats just what i think.

If and when you have your car tuned for premium, it's gonna make a difference. From the factory however, you can get away with it. You're car wont be running optimal.

I thought the diff grades of fuel were insignificant too, but in the latest SCC, they dyno'd the 350z with 2 diff grades and found noticable differences.......i was suprised......

Back