Mazdaspeed exhaust

:
2004 Mazda3 Hatchback
Well guys I called up mazda dealership and I am going to order the mazda speed exhaust system from the 2003 mazdaspeed protege. I dont want to go through the hassle of trying to find the right exhaust when I know the mazdaspeed exhaust system will be worth it and sound wise as well. It runs around $200 for the system so I am going to order it next week.

I'd make sure that system will fit the Mazda 3 before ordering...otherwise you'll spend more then 200 dollars cutting it up and rewelding it to fit the 3.

Remember the Mazda 3 is not based off the protege platform, its based off the next gen focus platform.

crossbow said:
I'd make sure that system will fit the Mazda 3 before ordering...otherwise you'll spend more then 200 dollars cutting it up and rewelding it to fit the 3.

Remember the Mazda 3 is not based off the protege platform, its based off the next gen focus platform.

Yeah I know it doesnt fit the mazda3 at all. The muffler sits in the very back of the protege. I am only buying the stainless steel mufler and am going to have it fabricated onto my mazda 3. I saw a guy on this forum that had a muffler installed right in the back and just replaced the spot where the old muffler was with a pipe. I am going to have a 2.5 inch pipe going to the muffler coming from the back of the last resonator or cat. Not sure what is last.

I would wait for a complete system to be made which will be done no later than sept. You will get looks performance and longevity.

Well, I went to my mazda dealership today and the got the 2003 mazda protege 5 mazdaspeed muffler. Its going to take a few modifications but it looks really nice. Cant wait to hear it. It ran me around $200.00.

are you removing your cats?.... I went with a racing beat muffler for rx 7 and it gave me 6 whp it cost me $120 plus 75 for piping

morris said:
are you removing your cats?.... I went with a racing beat muffler for rx 7 and it gave me 6 whp it cost me $120 plus 75 for piping
Dyno sheet...otherwise I'm playing the BS flag. Remove the entire catback system from the 3s, and run with no mufflers, and you won't even get 6 hp. Heck the 6s only gets 6 whp from a full catback system, and thats not even proven (and felt to be a false claim).

Well I got it put on today and I am very dissapointed. I removed the old muffler and put the mazdaspeed muffler in its place. Didnt remove any cats and resonator. It sounds horrible. It sounded alright at first but once the engine heats up its sound like a rice mobile. I saved my stock exhaust just incase and I am glad I did. It will directly go back in place when I take the mazdaspeed one off. I dont think any type of exhaust system will sound good on a inline 4. I had a camaro V6 and I put on an intake and catback pipe to a SS muffler from a 2000 and it sounded perfect. No rices just a ver muscular sound. I am new to the import state and I dont want to blow any more money on an exhaust. I think I will keep the original muffler on and just go with an intake and possible a header if one comes out. (yupnope) (yupnope)

The type of sound I am looking for is the low hum sound. Not a bee hive. Do any of you guys now how to keep the low pitch that lasts all the way up to redline with out the obnoxious bee hive sound?

If you have it installed already, at least give it 500 miles or so - mufflers change their sound as they get used a bit.

I'm not suprised it's loud though - isn't the mazdaspeed a turbo car ? Turbo's quiet the exhaust, so on a non-turbo car, it should sound odd...

All I have to say is man it is so embarrasing driving this car. I dont want to make our cars sound like crap when they look so nice. I hear hondas with a nice low hum when they drive. No bee hive sound. I want that but I dont know what they did to their exhaust system. There has to be more that a muffler and pipes. Maybe another resonator after the muffler?

I eliminated the resonator and installed new 2.5" pipe with a 40 series flowmaster muffler and got a nice deep sound. However I do get a high pitched sound at 5000 rpm in 1st gear.

the exhaust you bought and didnt like was the mazdaspeed 03 sport? I was thinking about replacing my aftermarket exhaust with that. I have a 01 Protege and my exhuast sounds like a rice moblie. Its got the big tip and everything....im gettin to old for that and tired of loud noise on the freeway. Sounds like it gets loud at high rpm.

I'm trying a Flowmaster 60 with a 12x3.5 tip. I'm hoping it will help mellow the sound and give it a deeper echoed effect. -I'm also leaving the cats and resonator right where they are.

rotary vs. pistons

crossbow said:
Dyno sheet...otherwise I'm playing the BS flag. Remove the entire catback system from the 3s, and run with no mufflers, and you won't even get 6 hp. Heck the 6s only gets 6 whp from a full catback system, and thats not even proven (and felt to be a false claim).

you can get up to 30 HP by adding a free flow cat and exhaust and header to a rotary. so 6 rear wheel HP isn't BS. you're comparing pistons to rotaries. and you're right. getting an extra 6 HP out of a 3 WOULD be a huge deal. but its VERY minor in a 7.

Back