Anti-exhaust bill is not dead yet!

Astral

Contributor
If you want to hold on to your aftermarket exhaust, you better take some action on this s***:

To: "National Motorists Association" <nma@motorists.org>
Subject: NMA alert: Aftermarket exhaust systems ban

Dear MA NMA Member,

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE)
It's Not Dead Yet!

Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Continues to Move through Legislature

Although we thought we had successfully stalled this bill in the Committee on Public Safety earlier this year, a bill (H.B. 1722) to ban the sale or installation of "an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust" continues to move though the Massachusetts Legislature. It has not been revised from last year's version and remains an extremely damaging piece of legislation.

After months of inactivity, H.B. 1722 was recently approved by the Massachusetts House Rules Committee and has now been re-referred to the House Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee. If recommended for passage by this committee, the bill will be scheduled for a vote on the floor of the Massachusetts House of Representatives. It is important that we act in force again in order to (finally) defeat this bill before it has the opportunity to progress further.

Call, E-Mail or Fax the Members of the Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 1722

The arguments remain the same:

* H.B. 1722 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

* H.B. 1722 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

* H.B. 1722 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

* H.B. 1722 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

Call or e-mail the members of the Steering and Policy Committee (See List Below) today to oppose this legislation. This bill tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Massachusetts.

House Steering, Policy, and Scheduling Committee
Rep. Paul Kujawski
E-Mail: Rep.PaulKujawski@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2960
Facsimile: 617-722-2846

Rep. Benjamin Swan
E-Mail: Rep.BenjaminSwan@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2692

Rep. Louis Kafka
E-Mail: Rep.LouisKafka@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2305
Facsimile: 617-722-2598

Rep. Ellen Story
Email: Rep.EllenStory@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2692

Rep. Christine Canavan
E-Mail: Rep.ChristineCanavan@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2320
Facsimile: 617-722-2339

Rep. John Fresolo
E-Mail: Rep.JohnFresolo@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2960

Rep. Peter Kocot
E-Mail Address: Rep.PeterKocot@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: (617) 722-2575

Rep. James Eldridge
Email: Rep.JamesEldridge@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2060

Rep. Joyce Spiliotis
Email: Rep.JoyceSpiliotis@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2090

Rep. Brad Hill
E-Mail: Rep.BradHill@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617- 722-2489

Rep. Elizabeth Poirier
E-Mail: Rep.ElizabethPoirier@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2976
Facsimile: 617-626-0108

Best regards,

Eric Skrum
Communications Director

Celebrating 20 years of protecting your rights!

National Motorists Association 608/849-6000
nma@motorists.org www.motorists.org
Advocating, Protecting, and Representing the Rights of North American Motorists

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE ACT QUICK! haha please.................that would suck if they banned them.

Chris

NeverSober said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE ACT QUICK! haha please.................that would suck if they banned them.

Ya, but seriously, if they do pass this s***, it's going to be that much harder to reverse it, and it's going to be that much worse for people w/ aftermarket exhausts to not get hassled by police. (Heck, a Mazdaspeed axleback on my Pro would be illegal!)

man, what a bad law. of all the problems, they decide to make a bill against loud exhaust?!!? go figure

it's already illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust...it's just not enforced as much...my cousin is a cop so i know some things.....but yea this isn't anything new at all. i dont see what the big deal is.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I'm 100% for this bill if it applies to motorcycles as well.

As far as the "arguments" above, there is no reason whatsoever that an aftermarket exhaust can't provide all those benefits without being measurably louder than the stock exhaust.

That is obviously not accurate everywhere; In New Hampshire, for example, they have explicit laws concerning exhausts, and a means and limit for measurment; I beleive the exhaust can't excede 95dB at one foot, fourty five degrees down from the exhaust outlet. As per with any car, though, it's a federal law that removing factory emissions equipment, as far as the catalists are concerned, is illegal, except for replacing damaged parts, before 50,000 miles. Once you've breached that point, you still have to retain a cat, regardless of being OE or aftermarket, if it existed originally, unless the car is over 15 years old. So, saying it's illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust is kinda an innacurate statement. =) Laws are totally different from state to state, and not all police officers know all about exhaust laws, for sure.

Even if this did end up getting passed, I don't think they can convict someone for breaking a law before it existed.
There is some legal term for it, can't remember right now.... It's probably in latin or some thing... Any lawdogs can help me out here?

So just to be safe, everyone hurry up and put those aftermarket exhausts in NOW!!!(freak)

peepsalot said:
Even if this did end up getting passed, I don't think they can convict someone for breaking a law before it existed.
There is some legal term for it, can't remember right now.... It's probably in latin or some thing... Any lawdogs can help me out here?

So just to be safe, everyone hurry up and put those aftermarket exhausts in NOW!!!(freak)
Not sure about what it is in latin, but it sounds like you're talking about a Grandfather Clause

03_ser_specv said:
it's already illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust...it's just not enforced as much...my cousin is a cop so i know some things.....but yea this isn't anything new at all. i dont see what the big deal is.
this is for ma not for ct

sorry bout the "edit" on your post. i missed the quote button and hit edit post :)

slug420 said:
here you guys go....this was in CT but a voice is a voice

-link-

thats a thread on a prominent CT news station's forum

check out the ignorance of the masses and I unfortunately dont think you will have any luck in preventing this bill....

wish you the best though
haha, i'm bored at work so i replied on that forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Back