6cyl engine in the 3?

Airman Jack

:
Orange 3 Sport
I'm sure someone has already thought of this, but if the 2.3L engine is the same as in the 6, does that mean the engine mounting points are the same as well? In that case, would it be possible to squeeze the 6cyl engine from the 6 into the 3?
gawd I need to find something to keep my devious mind at bay when I'm at work ;)

I'm thinking not worth the effort.

Airman Jack said:
gawd I need to find something to keep my devious mind at bay when I'm at work ;)

On the other hand yeah that's my situation too. So let's here what people think!

you havn't seen the engine bay of the 6 with the 2.3 in it?
373599_144.jpg

Big gap behind the engine is a good 15 inches...plus the 6s is already having problems with gaining traction from a start and turning left or right (understeer)

ya I dobt you could fit the 6cyl into the 3 and then if you did thats a lot of computer work for the new ecu and wiring harnesses and then you also need a new tranny

"hypotheyicly" if you could turn it sideways and construct a RWD setup...you'd be the man
(mswerd)

What's going to happen with weight differential in the couple-hundred-pounds-lighter 3 in such a case?

I don't know that it'd be that big of a deal to warrant all the time, money, and effort...the duratec 3.0 isn't the most robust V6 out there, no offense to any 6s owners.

The 3s and the 6i have completely different engine mounts. Remember though the engine's are almost identical, the platforms are completely different.

I know the platforms are different, as are the civic and integra platforms, but you can basically drop the more powerful integra engine into a civic ;) Just a thought, and maybe some inspiration for someone with more money and skill than I have! :D

Some people say it's not worth the effort... but think about this: do you really think that someone would spend all that time and effort just to leave the engine in near-stock form? I bet that would be one sweet build-up!

And really, there are a lot of things that we have/will/want to do that many people wouldn't think is worth the effort to... but that's how we get unique cars, new ideas, new products, etc.

I'd love to do this if I had crazy cash and the time for it!

Bart

bvmazda3 said:
Some people say it's not worth the effort... but think about this: do you really think that someone would spend all that time and effort just to leave the engine in near-stock form? I bet that would be one sweet build-up!

And really, there are a lot of things that we have/will/want to do that many people wouldn't think is worth the effort to... but that's how we get unique cars, new ideas, new products, etc.

I'd love to do this if I had crazy cash and the time for it!

Bart

If crazy effort yielding uniqueness is what you're going for, why not shove a VQ35DE in there? :)

blizz81 said:
If crazy effort yielding uniqueness is what you're going for, why not shove a VQ35DE in there? :)

Hehe. I had to look that one up on google! Good call!

It'd be funny to see a Nismo sticker on a 3! Imagine all the rice-jokes you'd get (until you uncorked that sucker on the highway, that is) :)

Bart

Ever think a step further and instead of putting an engine in that wasnt made for the 3 and instead put the volvo S40 engine instead that is made for the same platform? i think it sounds good

I was just thinking the other day that you can find a mazda millenia at a scrap yard with a good engine and put it in the 3. It's only 2.5 liter V6 but has 210 ponies, and s*** if you mod it even more. Putting a bigger engine in the car than what there is already, I'd want to convert it to a Rear-wheel drive for fun.

Mikey444 said:
I was just thinking the other day that you can find a mazda millenia at a scrap yard with a good engine and put it in the 3. It's only 2.5 liter V6 but has 210 ponies, and s*** if you mod it even more. Putting a bigger engine in the car than what there is already, I'd want to convert it to a Rear-wheel drive for fun.
If I had the time and money I'd pull the engine and drivetran from an evo or sti and put it in a base model neon....who wouldn't race you for a easy win?! Bet you could get people to sell their cars in a heart beat after being (chair) 6-8 car lenghts by a neon
(mswerd) why do you thing I almost turboed my neon ...the pure thought and stigma of being beaten by a neon can literaly break a mans soul(laugh)

Last edited:
Da 6 said:
If I had the time and money I'd pull the engine and drivetran from an evo or sti and put it in a base model neon....who wouldn't race you for a easy win?! Bet you could get people to sell their cars in a heart beat after being (chair) 6-8 car lenghts by a neon
(mswerd) why do you thing I almost turboed my neon ...the pure thought and stigma of being beaten by a neon can literaly break a mans soul(laugh)
I concur. Damn where do you come up with all these good ideas?

Mikey444 said:
I concur. Damn where do you come up with all these good ideas?
Must be the lead in the water or somethin...I have real creative dreams...one dream I had a 4 cyl that put down so much TQ it twists the chassis when launching and a bov that kicked up dust clouds!

NJP5Guy said:
its the nissan 350z engine
what was that system called again csvts? continuous sequential valve timing system or something like that! sounds like a nice feature to have...bet honda wish they thought of that(thought) is the 350z and q 35 like crown vic and grand marquis same car but difrent styling, badges, and options?

CVTCS: continuosly variable timing control system. the 350z and the G35 are built on the same platform(yes like the grand marquis and the crown vic are siblings)

Back