yah or nay for clear bra

ben tracy

:
Lava Orange Mazda 3 Hatchback (2004)
I really want one, but how will they look in a year or two. I will have this car for at least 4-5 years, so any advise? (thumb) OR should I not get the bra and in 2 to 3 years, get another paint job? (boom07)

Last edited:
ZippityZoomZoom said:
Definite yes. Just get the best installer possible.
(mswerd) I have so many scratches on my front bumper...I would recommend one of these for anyone who wants to take care of their new car.

Is anyone aware of any common-ish long-term problems with the clear bras? Specifically the 3M-type quality, and a good install job?

I was wondering how these would hold up over the course of a number of years, especially during moderate winters. (I'm still planning on getting one regardless, just curious)

How much for the clear bra? When I got my tint I inquired and got a $650 prce quote. Damn! It was using lumar film and was guaranteed for life against peeling anf yellowing.

my god clear bras are $$$. I thought it was $225 for the whole front of the car and man was I wrong. Its $225 for the hood and $325 for the bumper. I do not have that much cash, so I went with the bumper for now until I can get more money. Do you think I made a good choice on protecting my bumper, becuase I would think the bumper would get chipped more easily then the hood.

Well, if you think about it... What would you rather have repainted... Bumper or Hood....
I'm not saying you made a wrong choice...but I personally would have went for the hood first...

well I will be getting the hood with the clear bra next couple of weeks I hope, only thing is I have hear people saying their bumper getting more chewed up then the hood.

I see your point Euro3 but I agree that the bumper is the most frequently chipped. Before I got my clear bra on I got a few chips in the bumper area but nothing on the hood. I tried to get those things cleaned up before getting the clear bra on. Wish I would have had the time and money to get it all covered up on day 1, but oh well I'm very glad it's on there now. I also thought about the save the moeny for a repaint option but I didn't want to have to watch things go down hill. I think this Mazda3 paint is kinda delicate.

Last edited:
I did mine for around $90, but I used to do vinyl graphics so I knew how to apply it. But if you never have done vinyl, have it installed, it's a b****!!!

Just had a 3M Paint Protection Film bra installed professionally this morning on our 3 sport GT. It was CDN $240 including tax for high impact areas (19" up the hook and leading edges of the fenders - we also had protection put on the fog lamps). The company that did it was 3M Trim-Line here in Calgary (www.trimlinecalgary.com). It would have only been CDN $160 + tax to do the 3 sedan as the hood work for it is much less intricate. The bumper would have been another $340 on the sport but Trim-Line didn't recommend it as the bumper is plastic.

The dealership wanted almost twice the jack to do the same job.

ham

krstofer said:
How much for the clear bra? When I got my tint I inquired and got a $650 prce quote. Damn! It was using lumar film and was guaranteed for life against peeling anf yellowing.

How easy is it to remove that stuff? Does it provide UV protection? If so, and you have it removed later you're going to see the effects of fading from the un-bra'd portion. Plus, it's still going to chip and leave a mark, just that it won't be in the paint directly. But you'll still see it and feel it.

yep, and basically, if you had any previous chips that you painted with touch up, when you peel it off, you will have to redo all of your touch-ups because it sticks to the vinyl. Also, if you did do touch ups, they look like bubbles underneath the vinyl...

I had to try out the 3M stuff, I personally think it will work really good for the hood and mirrors, but for the bumper...I dunno...

oh yeah, forgot to mention, it also comes in 8mil and 12mil. 12mil is good for the less contoured areas and 8mil is good for bumpers.

For you guys that had it installed, did you get the option of which thickness to put where or did they just do it?

Stormtrooper77 said:
How easy is it to remove that stuff? Does it provide UV protection? If so, and you have it removed later you're going to see the effects of fading from the un-bra'd portion. Plus, it's still going to chip and leave a mark, just that it won't be in the paint directly. But you'll still see it and feel it.

Every applicator I've talked to and eveything I've read about them say it's very easy to remove. The questions about UV protection and uneven fading are excelent ones. I got a wide variety of answers from applicators on that, but they all insisted that they haven't had people coming back with the cars faded more on the parts w/out the clear bra. At the same time, I don't know how I'd feel about getting one of these if I didn't have a garage or if my car was sitting out in the sun a lot. Luckily I work at home and my wife doesn't take the car to work (I give her a lift since it's close by) so the car is rarely parked outside for very long.

I did see some possible risks with this clear bra thing, but at the same time leaving everything as is seemed like a bit of a risk to just let things go especially with everything I was reading about how easily the Mazda3 paint chips. I'm glad I got one put on...just wish I would have done as soon as I got the car. Hopefully I'll be saying the same thing 5+ years from now.

Anyone know of good websites to purchase this from precut? I know that 3M is not the only manufacture of this product, have you heard of others? Thanks.

Back