AEM CAI question

Airman Jack

:
Orange 3 Sport
I've noticed that a lot of people who have installed their CAI's have noticed a significant increase in mileage. Is this due to providing the engine with a better fuel/air ratio, making the engine work less to pull in the air, or is it possible that the fuel/air ratio has just been leaned out greatly? Could the engines be running too lean or do you guys think that the airflow sensor and fuel pump are compensating adequately for the better intake?

Airman Jack said:
I've noticed that a lot of people who have installed their CAI's have noticed a significant increase in mileage. Is this due to providing the engine with a better fuel/air ratio, making the engine work less to pull in the air, or is it possible that the fuel/air ratio has just been leaned out greatly? Could the engines be running too lean or do you guys think that the airflow sensor and fuel pump are compensating adequately for the better intake?
If it's like ours the maf usualy don't send cels for most 2.3 unless the pipe diamiter is larger than stock. I get fuel trim level cels every time I drive "normaly"? I autocrossed and then went home...left to get gas later that day and it came on. but one of our guys is running a Protetype intake that has a customizable maf so you can run pipe larger than stock diamiter w/o cels.

All CAI's lean out the A/F mixture. Thats where the primary gain from the intake comes from.

This usually occurs because the manufacturer uses a larger then stock diameter intake pipe, which causes the maf to read a slightly different Airflow. This also can increase the chance of a check engine light, depending on how large the intake differs from stock specifications.

Generally though, CAI's DECREASE mileage, because of the instant heavier foot that everyone has. Most quotes of better mileage, are due to the car's breaking in better, changes in driving habits, and temperature changes.

I wouldn't purchase a CAI for "increased mileage".

crossbow said:
All CAI's lean out the A/F mixture. Thats where the primary gain from the intake comes from.

I wouldn't purchase a CAI for "increased mileage".

*lol* I have no illusions about why people buy a CAI, it's for better power, and that's precisely why I want one too!

actuly the 6 croud suffers from that more than the 3 croud cause we can hear our intakes where as the 3 croud can't....mazda muffled all DB's comming out of that car(boom07)

Ya whats up with that....when you put an intake on the 6s, the car turns into some sort of monster...growling, yelling, and intimidating all surrounding vehicles the second you get on the throttle.

Yet the 3 actually seems quieter =/. I wonder if injen's intake will restore some of the utterly fantastic growl of the 2.3 L3 I4 engine on the 3's...heck even the 6i + Intake = Awesome growl.

AEM CAI For better mileage (smash) lol that sounds funny what do you think 6 hp will save you?

buy the tornado fuel saver!!!!!!!!! (braindead jejejej
j.k.

morris said:
what do you think 6 hp will save you?

the purpose of my question was to find out if the leaner mixture created by the CAI could be detrimental to the long term health of the engine, I'm sure that's been considered by the manufacturers, but it's good to know none the less.

morris said:
AEM CAI For better mileage (smash) lol that sounds funny what do you think 6 hp will save you?

buy the tornado fuel saver!!!!!!!!! (braindead jejejej
j.k.

Regardless of how it "sounds" to you, it's the truth. My gas mileage increased with a AEM CAI. Period.

Fobby_Monkey said:
oiy... let's not start that debate on this forum...

There's nothing to debate. I keep a journal of every time I fill my tank.

Before CAI: 24-29mpg, depending on driving style
After CAI: 28-30mpg, regardless of driving style

It's not an opinion, it's a documented fact. (shrug)

trust me.... I experienced the same gain in MPG after CAI. But A LOT of people WILL ignore the real life data, and pull a bunch of theories and trying to prove that your installation of the CAI DID NOT increase MPG..

Well... they can theorize all they want, as long as I'm spending less $$$ on gas! (2thumbs)

goldwing2000 said:
Well... they can theorize all they want, as long as I'm spending less $$$ on gas! (2thumbs)

Ofcouse if you drive like an old man you will think you are getting better gas mileage. (peep)

AzMz3 said:
Ofcouse if you drive like an old man you will think you are getting better gas mileage. (peep)

Gee... that's an intelligent comment. (braindead

Like I said: "After CAI: 28-30mpg, regardless of driving style"

If anything, I'm driving more agressively to enjoy the added HP. I had to drive like an old man before the CAI in order to get the high numbers. Now it doesn't matter.

I don't drive like an old man cause thats how cels happens. I envy you guys who havn't seeen one yet when I had at least 12 in the 7000 miles on te car

not even pending? when we had our mscw meeting after it was over we all lined to let crossbow scan our cars. I had lean fuel(CAI) and vad flapper stuck open(Airbox removed and doesn't recognize vad flapeer any more) while others had misfires(V6)

Last edited:
Those were all Mazda6 though, right?

I don't know if I have any pending or not. If it hasn't popped the light, I ain't worried about it! (2thumbs)

Back