are you supposed to go past the redline?

G'sMAZDA3

ive had my car for a few months now and wasnt quite sure if reving it past the 6500 is acceptable just would like to hear some of your guys input
also today when i was driving downtown i was racing this guy forgot to change gears haha and ended up reving my engine to the 8000rpm max where it slowed down on its own. i wonder if i could have damaged any of the engines components while doing this

-that's why the engine has a rev limiter. it will help prevent over-revving while accelerating (but not on downshifting). so be careful when you're being all f4st and furi0u5.

-the redline is there for a reason. your car isn't making any more power above about 6500rpm.

-next time you street race, do it in a school zone or through a drive-thru. that's so much cooler than street racing downtown and you'll be totally hardcore that way. (cool)

(headshake

dmitrik4 said:
-next time you street race, do it in a school zone or through a drive-thru. that's so much cooler than street racing downtown and you'll be totally hardcore that way. (cool)
(headshake0
(screwy)

i reved my car up to 6800 once, got so paranoid that i pulled over and let it cool, could have sworn that it was burning...

Dexter said:
how do you FORGET to change gears, man?

Ask my wife.. She's had about 4 hours in the car, her 1st experience with a manual transmission. She's able to launch, hill-start, and stop - now, she knows how, but if she'd only remember to up-shift...

(Shuddering at memories of cruising through a parking lot at 40 km/h in 1st, while I calmly recite to her, "2nd. 2nd gear. You probably should be in 2nd gear, sweetie. 2nd gear. 2nd.")

(shrug)

Bart

Dexter said:
how do you FORGET to change gears, man?
If you autocross in manual mode it is easy to do (hand) 7300 owns you!

my redline is at 6500 but she still pulls to 7.200 aprox. I'm sure the engine could take 500 more rpm after that with ease

Da 6 said:
If you autocross in manual mode it is easy to do (hand) 7300 owns you!
my car is permanently in 'manual mode' and i have never forgotten to shift. how do you FORGET. like oh im gonna think about something other than driving right now...hmm... la de da look at the pretty cones OH s*** I NEED TO SHIFT. seriously, wtf?

i'm sorry to be so dumb... ive never hit the rev limiter, what exactly happens? is it like the speed limiter where the car bogs down for a minute until you reach the slower speed?

cochizzle said:
i'm sorry to be so dumb... ive never hit the rev limiter, what exactly happens? is it like the speed limiter where the car bogs down for a minute until you reach the slower speed?

its the point were your car goese WTF and stops accelarating, kinda of abruptley too

Mazda3ofKent said:
its the point were your car goese WTF and stops accelarating, kinda of abruptley too

Yah, I hit it once in 1st "accelerating quickly at the same time as, consequently, the car in the lane next to me" and hit it. It shocked me so bad, I just sat a bit stunned, dropped it in third and cruised at normal speeds.

La-dee-daa.. Eh? You didn't win. I wasn't even trying.

Bart

Us autocrossers usually bounce off the redline 10-20x an autocross. Our UOA's are just fine. (Used Oil Analysis)

If your going to be beating the hell outta your car, just make sure you've got synthetic everything in it fluid wise...engine oil, transaxle, etc.

If your going to play, at least pay for some protection.

Everyone is right though...the car does start to lose power after 6k...you need some Air/Fuel tuning to lean out the AF in the upper rpm's to allow the car to pull straight to redline...as its setup right now, it hits 11.5:1 at 6500, then drops down to 11:1 by 7k.

Dexter said:
my car is permanently in 'manual mode' and i have never forgotten to shift. how do you FORGET. like oh im gonna think about something other than driving right now...hmm... la de da look at the pretty cones OH s*** I NEED TO SHIFT. seriously, wtf?
when all the tires loose traction and you slide sideways the tack moves rather quickly:D yeah I was tring my best to not hit tle light pole and before I knew it....vromvromvrom also on the street you are ging in a straight line...autocross you are testing the limits of the Car+Michelins.....car won Michelins lost....horribly!

but to answer the original question...you aren't supose to intentonaly run past redline till you start putting down hp after stock redline.

Last edited:
Wa wa wa wa wa...thats all you hear at autox's...everyone bouncing off the redline :).

Shifting during an autox is a sure way to lose lots of time. If you can do it RIGHT, you can save alot of time, but for the average crosser, it unbalances the cars suspension, and can screw up your turn something badly.

As for forgetting to shift...I used to do it now and then in the 6s ATX...i mean there isn't any clutch to remind you, just the scream of the intake :).

yeah I overpowered the slolom when I hit vvt and that wasn't pretty....down shifted in chicago box while turning and almost ended up in mine field...these tires suck(protest) I have my atx cooler...just waiting for a day off to install...How did you mount yours to the hood latch on your other 6?

Latest posts

Back