About to buy? Need help.

Hey everyone. I'm about 90% sure that I'm buying a MSM in the next 3-4 weeks. I used to have a 94 Miata and loved it. Eventually traded that for a 03 Celica GT-S... which got rear-ended by an SUV at 80 mph (while I was stopped) last week. The thing is likely totaled. Soo... I'm considering returning to my Miata roots. Just have a few questions.

First, what is the aftermarket like right now for this car? 170 crank HP is nice, but I'd like to up that a little. Does anyone have any experience (and dyno sheets?) with mods? What is out there?

Second, has anyone actually taken this car to a 1/4 track? I don't really intend to drag race it, but I am curious how it holds up to the GT-S for track times in real life, not just in the magazines.

Lastly... should these things be on dealers lots at least until the end of Summer? I don't want them to all be gone before I get my hands on one.

Thanks everybody!

to answer your questions..

Aftermarket isn't too much right now.. At least not as far as making more power.. but it's new, so be patient... The rest of teh aftermarket is straight off teh rest of the miata's so there's a billion thing out there.

As far as sitting on lots? kinda a tossup. they made all the '04 MSM's in one shot, so what the dealer has is what teh dealer's gonna get for teh most part. They are making an '05 version, so there will be more, but I dunno how steady the flow is gonna be...

The aftermarket for the MSP is booming now, but look how long it took us to get here. The same will probably be true with the MSM, although you might have to get some of the companies on here to custom make your parts if you want anything major. I hardly see any MSMs on the street & hardly any owners on here, so I just don't think the demand exists at all right now.

I say if you like the new body find a 99-00 and turbo that
If you like the older body get a 94-95 and turbo that and have money for suspension upgrades.

Or be real hardcore and get an 90-93 swap in a 94-97 BP, Turbo Full standalone etc.

I like the MSM but honestly i cant justify spending that much on it (yeah i know the can go pretty cheap if you find them) if you are just going to screw with what the factory gave you and void your warranty. And besides companies have been turbocharging miatas for ever. I think places such as flyingmiata have more experience in the area.

Back