ECL and Mileage

Has anybody had an ECL come on and why?? (dunno)

Last night while driving my ECL came on at ~5700 miles. I am on the Scheduled Maintenance (NA) 1, so my oil change is no due for another 2300 miles. Could this be mazda's reminder for me to change my oil?? Is there anyway I could verify this? ..i.e. turn off the light via some means.

Last edited:
you mean the check engine light? i have heard of a few 3 and 6 owners with this happening at random early on in the car's life

Something to keep in mind...

Most people fall under the "servere" maintance schedule for oil changes. The only time you fall under the 7500 mile intervals, is if your PRIMARILY doing ONLY highway driving.

Stop and go driving, and short trips falls under the severe maintance oil change schedule.

As for CEL's or Check Engine Lights. You have three options. 1) Ignore it. 2) Find someone with a CAN capable scanner, or buy a scanner, and scan your own car. 3) Take it to the dealer.

Update for ECL

So I went to the dealer today at O' Dark thirty and had the CEL checked out.
Apparently there is a computer code error that pops up every once in a while that turns on the CEL. Mazda is supposedly working on this computer code to correct the error. That was an easy visit to the dealer. (thumb)

Also got my oil/filter changed and car inspected in under an hour.

Another thing I asked about was the Dusty rear brakes. Apparently the 3 uses a European breaking system, thus uses the rear brakes more. I find it hard to believe this, but I have to assume he is an expert and take his professional opinion. (redp5)

I beleve the 3 is imported...reson 6 doesn't get navi and hids...

Back