Basic oil change question????

hworth18

:
Mazda3s
I usually do all the maintaining/upkeep on my cars....
I have 1900 miles on my 3 and it will be coming up for the first change in the next month or so.. The dealership will change the oil the first time, but I will be changing it after that..

My question is, I have heard the 2.3l has an "internal" oil filter that has to be taken off , cleaned and reused.. Is this right????
Any suggestions, tips or hints are appreciated.. :confused:

i believe the 2.3L on the 3 has the traditional spin-on canister filter

it's the 2.3L on the 6 that has the funky internal cartridge setup.

ZoomZoomH said:
i believe the 2.3L on the 3 has the traditional spin-on canister filter

it's the 2.3L on the 6 that has the funky internal cartridge setup.
No, the N. American-spec Mazda3 2.3l is the same as the 2.3l Mazda6 (cartridge filter). However, the N. American-spec Mazda3 2.0l has the traditional spin-on filter. It is possible to convert the 2.3l cartridge to the spin-on type.

To make things even more complicated, I've been told (though not yet confirmed by my own eyes), both the N. American-spec Mazda3 and Mazda6 2.3l will switch to the traditional spin-on type in approximately June '04 onward builds.

Thanx for the info Da6..

That sucks.. Looks like I'll be doing the conversion sometime soon, with maybe a little better luck than the guys that did the article..

lol yeah...prepare for the worst case and hope for the better. Also....let the engine cool down before draining! Lesson learned(hand)

Da 6 said:
lol yeah...prepare for the worst case and hope for the better. Also....let the engine cool down before draining! Lesson learned(hand)

I though it was said to change the oil while the engine is warm? Just asking?
I don't see a problem with filters to need to swap to the 2.0L filter.

AzMz3 said:
I though it was said to change the oil while the engine is warm? Just asking?
I had 2 hrs of hi revving fun 5 minutes prior....no cool down period. Also add to list of recommended items to oil change...dish washing gloves cause thats the only reason I didn't get hospitalized (headshake
AzMz3 said:
I don't see a problem with filters to need to swap to the 2.0L filter.
yeah I fell the same way.

So, Are you guys saying that it's not that big of a deal to mess with the cartridge?? And that I really shouldn't do the conversion unless I want to???
Thanks for the help..

use the link above to chainge your oil and decide if you want to go back to traditonal methods or just keep the stock setup as is for "Ohh and Ahh" factor when one of your friends argue about how to change oil(hah) best part is when you open the lil white box and hand them the filter and they ask "where is the rest of it?"(rofl)

the conversion was IIRC crossbow and stretch on stretch's notorious 6i

The main reason mazda is swappin back to the spin-on filters is availability. There is only a single supplier for the Cartridge filter, but a few dozen for the spin-on. Mazda's already encountered actual shortages of the cartridge filters, and thats with only a few models using them!!!

Supposedly (still unconfirmed) a 6i/3s with a build date of 7/04 or later should have a spin-on filter as default.

Btw goldwing, we updated our X-ref list for the spin-on. (6i conversion)

Here ya go for future reference.
Mazda LF10-14-302
Purolator L10241
AC Delco PF46 or PF53
Fram PH3600 (This is just for other X-refs..don't get the fram!!! ug)
Motorcraft FL793
NAPA 1348
K&N HP-1002

crossbow said:
Btw goldwing, we updated our X-ref list for the spin-on. (6i conversion)

Here ya go for future reference.
Mazda LF10-14-302
Purolator L10241
AC Delco PF46 or PF53
Fram PH3600 (This is just for other X-refs..don't get the fram!!! ug)
Motorcraft FL793
NAPA 1348
K&N HP-1002

Thanks.
I have no idea how current that list is (it looks accurate to me) but you might want to double-check the actual specs on those. When I was going through cross-references on my own, I noticed that a lot of manufacturers were using the Protege 2.0L filter as being a replacement for the Mazda3 2.0L filter. Technically, it will fit but it's about a half inch shorter. For instance, if you look up the actual AC Delco part, they call for PF1237. That's the shorter filter. But if you go in the back door and do a cross-ref for the NAPA 1348 filter (which is the longer one), it pulls up the PF53. They still have a little way to go before they get their act together, I think!

If you're making a list, you can also include:
WIX 51215

Thanks! I'll update the list. If you find anymore, just tell me. Stretch is currently running the Purolator L10241 on his (so thats verified to fit).

Cool.

I'm using the Mazda filter. My dealer sells them to me for $5.99, so I figure it's cheap enough to go with OEM.

I've heard the WIX filters are really good, though.

Oh, you sure about that PF46? According to AC Delco, it's for a bunch of different V8s (including the 6.0L H2 (eek2) )

yeah I heard of oil changes at dealership where they didn't replace the cartridge! and still charged full fuggin price! Never will my oil be changed at dealership. after spin on conversion no one from napa pepboys walmart exsetra will do more than breath on my car. Never know when someone might not have the ability to remove the drain plug(boom02)

Da 6 said:
Never know when someone might not have the ability to remove the drain plug(boom02)

It's not the ability to remove it.. It's the ability to get it back in without stripping the threads.. Not to mention filling the oil level to where it's supposed to be.. (hand)

Back