Oil change need special filter tool?

JLB300

Hi all. Give me some help. I just bought a new 3 sedan with the 2.3 engine. I like to service my own vehicle and the owners manual states you need a special tool to change the oil filter. What kind of tool is this? And where can I buy one? Also, is the filter a cartridge or a canister? where is the filter located? Thanks

Ok, two questions:

1. What is the advantage (if any) to a canister design?

2. My paranoia ensues. I replaced the filter on my MSP today with, what I was told was, a 92-95 MX-6/626/Probe GT V6 oil filter. However, on the package it said oil canister. It was a Mazda psrt from a Mazda dealer. It threaded on fine and looked to be exactly the same as the filter it replaced, only longer. But after reading the link on how to replace the canister with a filter I am some what paranoid. The fact that it threaded on and sealed properly makes me think all is ok, but I figured I should ask now that I know there is a difference between a filter and canister in Mazdas terminology.

vodapas77 said:
Ok, two questions:

1. What is the advantage (if any) to a canister design?

2. My paranoia ensues. I replaced the filter on my MSP today with, what I was told was, a 92-95 MX-6/626/Probe GT V6 oil filter. However, on the package it said oil canister. It was a Mazda psrt from a Mazda dealer. It threaded on fine and looked to be exactly the same as the filter it replaced, only longer. But after reading the link on how to replace the canister with a filter I am some what paranoid. The fact that it threaded on and sealed properly makes me think all is ok, but I figured I should ask now that I know there is a difference between a filter and canister in Mazdas terminology.
I'm 99% certain I know what I'm talking about. The Proteg takes a normal "canister filter", which means the whole canister is changed (including the filter housing, or "canister"). A "cartridge filter" has a housing that is removed, the internal filter cartridge is removed, and a new filter cartridge and O-rings are installed and the cover is replaced. Think of a cartridge as being sorta like the round air filter on a carburated engine.

Just checked this out a bit more... I would definitely recommend doing this conversion. There's a reason people stopped using canister filters -- THEY SUCK! They're hard to change, they have a tendency to leak through more. Why do the 3/6 use them? I can't answer that except to say that perhaps it's Mazda's way of getting people to use the dealer for oil changes.

I like the cartridge filter....it was easy and clean. Just make shure they give you both 0 rings and you should be cool. If you want to di the conversion then the how to is on the same 6 tech sie the cartridge change proces is.

mp5jeff said:
tool needed, 1) screwdriver, motion used to get it out - stabbing.

You can't do that on the 2.3L cartridge filter. It's a platic resin housing.

vodapas77,

Mazda changed to the cartridge filter for weight savings (maybe a couple ounces) and "environmental concerns".

Whoop-dee-doo. I prefer the ease of a spin-on.

If you do the conversion, does it affect your warranty on your engine at all? I can see them saying, "Ph your engine failure is not covered becasue you altered the lubricating system."

I doubt it, since you're using Mazda components AND the new 3 supposedly is going to have a spin-on anyway.

Besides that, they'd have to prove that the mod caused the failure. With factory components, that's highly unlikely.

any photos? On my miata it says cartridge on the filter box from mazda. It is still screw on

Last edited:
newfilter4.jpg

Here is the side by side from the how to page.

filter17.jpg

So help me understand this...

I need to buy some extra O rings & special filters from the dealership?

I am going to be taking the car to Europe (when I buy one)...
& there will be no dealership to service the car for me there....

Hey, I know this is an old thread, but how many of yu have successfully done this? I was thinking of doing it. Where did you get the parts? From mazda or aftermarket?

Thanks,
Krs

krstofer said:
Hey, I know this is an old thread, but how many of yu have successfully done this? I was thinking of doing it. Where did you get the parts? From mazda or aftermarket?

Thanks,
Krs

*raises hand*

Got the parts from the stealership.

if you are refering to the spin on conversion..the part #s seem to change rapidly. To make the parts dept guys life alot easier snag a vin from a 3i before going in the "stealership".

Last edited:
Back