throttle body coolant bypass

mazda3zoom

:
Sweetest Car Ever
has anyone tried unhooking the coolant lines from the throttle body??? it looks really easy and another member told me that it would probaly gain about 3-4 hp cause then the air wouldnt be getting heated as it went into the engine. if nobody else has done it maybe ill be the guinea (sp?) pig for this one. (first)

mazda3zoom said:
has anyone tried unhooking the coolant lines from the throttle body??? it looks really easy and another member told me that it would probaly gain about 3-4 hp cause then the air wouldnt be getting heated as it went into the engine. if nobody else has done it maybe ill be the guinea (sp?) pig for this one. (first)

Its a waste of time and effort. You will definately NOT gain anywhere close to 3-4 HP. (wow)

--Herb--

AzMz3 said:
Its a waste of time and effort. You will definately NOT gain anywhere close to 3-4 HP. (wow)

--Herb--

not to be a douche, but how praetel do you know this?

3-4 at the crank isnt going to be noticeable at all, so if you are gauging by butt dyno, then you will most likely not feel a difference.

-B

i have done it. i dont think that there is much difference in power but i was bored and had nothing better to do than spend $0.49 and get in touch with my car in a personal level.

I did this, along with the ETB ground (8 ga. with gold plated connectors).

Throttle response is much improved, no more revving when changing gears, you let off on the accelerator, and it immediately responds now, with no delay. You accelerate, and there is no delay like before I did the mods. I don't know about HP or Tq increase, but the throttle response is most noticeably quicker, and lower RPM acceleration seems to have more pep and is way smoother now :)

hmmmm, i think ill do it next day i have off work if it doesnt affect anything then alls i did is waste about 10 minutes, but ill try it.

mazda3zoom said:
hmmmm, i think ill do it next day i have off work if it doesnt affect anything then alls i did is waste about 10 minutes, but ill try it.

I would definately not do it in the cold climate areas.
The reason I say this is a waste is because it has been dyno tested to only show a 2hp increase on 300plus HP cars. I doubt it will even have a .001hp effect on the Mazda3.

--Herb--

you are both right.....some things will not be picked up on a dyno....and yes in cold climates the car wiil go into limp mode if the tb freezes...if you already did the mod and your tb freezes pull to side of road and the car will idle irraticly to heat the tb and once the tb is eated the revving will stop. this mod is for those who aren't affectd by te cold. If you do it right you can always go back stocl in minutes.

El Ropo said:
Not every aspect of a car's overall performance can be revealed by a dyno.

Right but what will this mod do if it won't provide gains.
Throttle response...NO!
Better driveablity...How?
And it should show gains on a dyno if there were to be gains.

--Herb--

almost said maf would pick it up...but thats just before the TB...n/m

AzMz3 said:
Right but what will this mod do if it won't provide gains.
Throttle response...NO!
Better driveablity...How?
And it should show gains on a dyno if there were to be gains.

--Herb--

elropo said that when he did it, it gave better throttle response and has more "pep" at low RPMs. its not gonna be a big deal if i do it and i dont like it. in case u havent looked at it, it would seriously take about 5 minutes, a pair of pliers, a hose connector and thats all. (attn)

mazda3zoom said:
elropo said that when he did it, it gave better throttle response and has more "pep" at low RPMs. its not gonna be a big deal if i do it and i dont like it. in case u havent looked at it, it would seriously take about 5 minutes, a pair of pliers, a hose connector and thats all. (attn)

I'm not telling you NOT to do, just that I don't see it having any benefits. Yes it will only take a matter of minutes to do. But read his post again he also did the throttle body ground, take is said to give all of the responses he said. I tried them and did not feel anything at all. But go for it and let us know what ya think.

--Herb--

AzMz3,

I doubt it will give any gains...what it does give you however is a reduction in heatsoak, which reduces your HORSEPOWER LOSS over time due to heat soak.

If you pop the hood of a car that's been running the TB bypass, its entirely different then the car without the mod. The entire intake assembly (If your running aftermarket piping) is much cooler, and can "usually" (depending on ambient air) be handled right after the car is turned off.

So I'd say it doesn't really do anything for gains, just helps prevent losses.

If Mazda could get 3 or 4 hp, or even less horsepower loss as the engine heated up, and simplify the coolant plumbing process as well, why wouldn't they have done it at the factory ? Same goes for the grounding wire - if Mazda could improve throttle performance by strapping on $.50 worth of copper wiring, why wouldn't they have done it there ?

I can believe the grounding wire helps in certain older cars with bad electrical systems, but I find it hard to believe it would have ANY affect on a new car. Same for the coolant bypass - I just can't see why something so easy wouldn't have been done by the manufacturer if it had a positive impact...

Think about it - adding variable valve timing to the Miata in '01 gained them like 10 horsepower. And that's quite a bit of a change to the engine, just for 10 horsepower.

Based on threads like this, it seems like they could have just added a grounding wire and bypassed the throttle body with coolant to get the same 10hp...

I'm just a skeptic I guess...

jtallon said:
If Mazda could get 3 or 4 hp, or even less horsepower loss as the engine heated up, and simplify the coolant plumbing process as well, why wouldn't they have done it at the factory ? Same goes for the grounding wire - if Mazda could improve throttle performance by strapping on $.50 worth of copper wiring, why wouldn't they have done it there ?

I can believe the grounding wire helps in certain older cars with bad electrical systems, but I find it hard to believe it would have ANY affect on a new car. Same for the coolant bypass - I just can't see why something so easy wouldn't have been done by the manufacturer if it had a positive impact...

Think about it - adding variable valve timing to the Miata in '01 gained them like 10 horsepower. And that's quite a bit of a change to the engine, just for 10 horsepower.

Based on threads like this, it seems like they could have just added a grounding wire and bypassed the throttle body with coolant to get the same 10hp...

throttle body coolant is to keep it from sticking in cold weather. The reason we don't have more horsepower is so we don't out power the ford focus sold the same year.

At first I wasn't going to do this mod, since I'm turbo, the air forced into my TB is heated anyway. After noticing my intercooler makes the hot pretty damn cool, I'm gonna go ahead and do this. I only suggest that the people doing this mod better not live in climates where it can snow.

jtallon said:

As long as you have metric tool set (need 8 and 10mm socket), it only takes about 5 minutes of your time to ground the ETB to the battery chassis ground point. Why don't you try it yourself, then come back and tell us if you don't notice a difference in throttle response. It was immediately noticeable for me. How much does it cost for 2 feet of 8 ga wire, and 2 connectors?. Well, for me it was worth the trouble.

On the coolant bypass, I never expected to gain anything. However, I did expect to keep the heatsoak related power loss to a minimum.

yes we did gain hp from vvt(s-vt) and the 6s is gonna stay where it is or it will definantly own the RX-8(not good for business) anyone with an intake wil vouch that the intake needs to be cooler cause my aem has cracks in the coating from the heat. colder air burns better than hotter air. take into consideration the TB is as hot as the fluid that runs thru it...the lines run from the engine to tb then back in the engine. some people have thrown an aux coole in tbetween the engine line and tb line to keep their plumbing and cool the coolant some. as stated many times, if you chose not to do the mod then do no to the mod.

Back