Don't know much about LOC's and Crossovers..

krstofer

:
Winning Blue Mazda 3 hatch
Hey, I am trying to figure out what to do with my system. With my old kenwood I had low level outs with NF levels and blah blah..... But trying to use the stock 3's HU has me confused.

I don't know how to use an LOC or a crossover. Where they should go, and what kind to get. I thought I saw some sort of Schematic with the connection flow, but I can't find it now.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Krs

I installed sub and amp with the help of a LOC. I simply removed the HU from its place, connect the speakers to the LOC by partially cutting the wire (just the plastic that envelops the wire). Then you will be able to connect your sub/amp whatever with no problem. For the LOC, when you will remove your HU you will see that it can be easily place under the HU, (where the mp3 is supposed to be).

Then replace everything in place and you will have succeded in your installation. (drunk2)

So, I don't need a crossover for my sub? How do I make sure only the lows go to it?

Krs

krstofer said:
So, I don't need a crossover for my sub? How do I make sure only the lows go to it?

Krs
If your amp is worth a damn it will have a crossover built in. If you need something more adjustable then you may want to tink about an audiocontrol Crossover or a new head unit.

I have an RF amp and it has cotrols for what levels to pass through, but I wasn't sure if I would need a crossover also. I guess not :)

thanks!

krstofer said:
I have an RF amp and it has cotrols for what levels to pass through, but I wasn't sure if I would need a crossover also. I guess not :)

thanks!
(confused)

What?
"for what levels to pass through"???
can you tell me the amp model number?
I have think your talking about a crossover but I can't be sure.

"The new Punch 250.2 also features a built-in 12dB slope high/low pass variable crossover (50-210Hz)."

I found a local place that sell's LOC's is there anything special I should look for? They sell a 2 channel LOC. I assume that means I would need 1 for for the sub and connect to left and right rears.

Correct?

Aviod the cheap ones. I'd suggest getting them from davidnavone.com to aviod the quality issues with alot of store bought LOCs.

To use with a sub amp wou will need a single 2 channel LOC

krstofer said:
Just looked through this post real quick, I guess I would need one for each set of speakers I amp. are the tweets considered part of the front or seperate?
YOu really need one channel of loc per one channel of amplification your using. If you mean factory tweeters or a compenet set, then they will not be a seperate LOC as they are wired with the mids.

left and right are two channel, right? So if I amped a sub, rear speaks and front speaks, I would need 3 LOC's.

no, you would need 4 channels of LOC. You could either us a single 4 channel lock or 2 2 channel LOC. YOU have to remeber what a LOCK does, it takes a speaker leve signal and converts it to an RCA signal. Well at most you only have 4 speaker channels on your radio so at most you could only use 4 channels of LOC. Your 4 channel amp may have an RCA output to link to the sub amp or vice versa. If not, just use 2 RCA Y adapters to make one set of RCAs into 2.

Ahhh.. ok I got it now. Phewww... I must be making your head hurt with these questions. i will check the website and compare to what is sold at my local shop.

Thanks again!!

krstofer said:
Ahhh.. ok I got it now. Phewww... I must be making your head hurt with these questions. i will check the website and compare to what is sold at my local shop.

Thanks again!!
I have been answering Audio questions for over a year now, I am immune :D

You could also go totally ghetto and just run one LOC (outputting a pair of RCAs) and balance/fade everything with your amp gain settings. This owuld mean the fade feature on your HU would be no good, but if you never mess with it much, it is a way of saving some money as a 2 channel LOC is cheaper than a 4 channel LOC.

Robin

1Canuck2 said:
You could also go totally ghetto and just run one LOC (outputting a pair of RCAs) and balance/fade everything with your amp gain settings. This owuld mean the fade feature on your HU would be no good, but if you never mess with it much, it is a way of saving some money as a 2 channel LOC is cheaper than a 4 channel LOC.

Robin
The RCA y adapaters will make up the difference in price most of the time.

Well I bought a GSI 4 channel LOC. I do have the 250.2 RF amp that powers a 10" RF HIE2 sub. I can't find the specs for the sub online though. Gonna try to do some work this weekend.

[edit]
Sorry, it's actually the HE2 woofer. Here is the link.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROCRFP3210

[/edit]

Last edited:
Back