Seatbelt Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver3

:
2004 Mazda3 5 door
Has anyone found out HOW TO to shut the seatbelt reminder noise off without going to the dealer?

Here's the TSB. The good news is that it can be done, the bad news is that the permenant solution requires the dealer and they won't do it for liability reasons (i.e. you better think of a very, very good reason before approaching them with this request).

08-002/04 MAZDA3 - SEAT BELT MINDER DEACTIVATION
DESCRIPTION
The seat belt minder is a supplemental warning to the seat belt warning function. This feature provides an additional reminder to the driver that the seat belt is not fastened by an intermittent, audible beep sound and flashing of the seat belt warning light in the instrument cluster.
The seat belt minder can be deactivated either temporarily or over the long term and can be restored again, if the customer wishes. This bulletin outlines the deactivation procedure. (Note: The seat belt warning function is not deactivated.)
The Owner's Manual has been updated to include this information.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE: Although the belt minder can be deactivated by customer choice, it is recommended the customer to leave it activated as an additional safety feature. Ask them to have it reactivated before selling the vehicle to a new owner too, to get the maximum effect.
TEMPORARY DEACTIVATION
To temporarily deactivate the belt minder, turn the ignition switch to ON, fasten the driver's seat belt for about 2 seconds or longer, then unfasten it within 20 seconds. The belt minder will be deactivated temporarily, until the ignition switch is turned to ON next time. (Temporary deactivation can be cancelled by turning the ignition switch OFF, then ON.)
LONG-TERM DEACTIVATION
To deactivate the belt minder long-term, change the configuration of the Instrument Cluster using WDS.
Identify the vehicle, and make sure the vehicle specification screen appears.
Select "Module Programming" and press tick.
Select "Programmable Parameters" then "Warning Lamps/Chimes" and press tick.
Select "Belt Minder" IC (Instrument Cluster)" then "Disabled" and press tick.
Turn the ignition switch to OFF and press tick.
Verify operation.

Protege5 Driver said:
disconnect the cable under the drivers seat???
That's your pretensioner sensor, and not only will it not disable the seatbelt thing and turn on the airbag light, if you're in a wreck and your insurance finds out it was disconnected, you're ******. Like, they dont pay for the wreck and they drop you. They really dislike people messing with built in safety features.

if you diconect the wire under the seat it will turn the airbag light on because the air bags a 2nd generation. The airbag system works off of a persons weight. It moderates how fast the bag deploys and at what amount of pressure is used. For instance with the passanger seat, if there is to little weight on the seat then they passanger air bag will turn off I believe if there is less then 85 lbs on the seat maybe less.
Anyway i have tried the seatbelt reminder turn off and I cant get it to work. I've tried in in many combinations and it dosent seem to work. If anyone had some luck let me know.

Protege5 Driver said:
its just a light, not like the ford focus that makes an annoying chime every few seconds until u put the belt on

Oh, it sure does beep! On the Mazda3, anyway. Which is what Wongpres' post was showing us how to disable. And it's EFFIN' ANNOYING... :D

Mikey, there are valid reasons why someone would want the seatbelt reminder deactivated. I, personally, hate hearing that thing when I'm in a drive-through lineup, or moving my car across a parking lot. Some people just don't like being treated like a mindless ape, being prodded to plug in the belt every few seconds, because A) they can remember to do it on their own, or B) just refuse to wear a seatbelt all of the time.

Last edited:
have you tried the directions in the manual? Did it work for you? Cause it hasent worked for any of us.

seatbelt

it works only until you start the vehicle agian, fi you want it to be long term take it to the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back