UnderDrive Pulley Warning!!!!!!!!

crossbow

:
Mazda 6s
01-003/03 2001-2003 TRUCK 2003 MAZDA6 2.3L - FRONT CRANKSHAFT BOLT SERVICE WARNING

When removing or replacing the crankshaft pulley on a 2001 through 2003 Truck or 2003 Mazda6 equipped with the 2.3L engine, be sure to follow workshop manual procedures.

The crankshaft pulley is not keyed to the crankshaft and when loosened may move position on the crankshaft. The engine MUST be re-timed whenever the crankshaft pulley bolt is loosened, removed or replaced.

Follow workshop manual procdures and time the engine using Special Tools (Crankshaft Alignment Pin 303-507, Camshaft Alignment Plate 303-465 and a standard M6 X 1.0 X 2.25 bolt).

NOTE: The crankshaft pulley bolt cannot be re-used, it must be replaced.

CAUTION: Engine damage will occur if the engine is not re-timed properly. Refer to Workshop Manual (section 01-10A MECHANICAL 2.3L).

NOTE: Damage to an engine caused by not following proper Workshop Manual procedures may result in denial of warranty claims or back charges.

LF01-11-406
Bolt (Crankshaft Pulley)
Mazda6

http://www.mazdatechinfo.com

hmm so how is the bolt actually locked in to place ? that makes things a bit complicated doesn't it ?

There is a secondary pin which must be inserted on the side of the block, which holds everything in position. This of course requires a special tool (as per the warning), and failure to adhere to this step, will cause your pistons to impact the valves when the car is started back up.

Aka this isn't a normally pulley swap. Its pretty much near the difficulty level of swapping cams =/.

remember this in't a honda civic.....you could let your 10 yr old take that apart....

crossbow said:
There is a secondary pin which must be inserted on the side of the block, which holds everything in position. This of course requires a special tool (as per the warning), and failure to adhere to this step, will cause your pistons to impact the valves when the car is started back up.

Aka this isn't a normally pulley swap. Its pretty much near the difficulty level of swapping cams =/.

It really is not that hard if you have all the right tools. The pin holds it at TDC and there it a bar that goes along the cams to align them up. If all that is done then you are good. You only screw up when you just take off the pulley and try to put the new one on with out checking for TDC, but then again some have been lucky and done it that way. The tools have to be cheap, they are just like the ones you get from AEM for the cam gears for the Focus. Probaly not the same exact ones though, but very similar.

--Herb--

crossbow said:
Feel free to be the first one to risk his engine for 2 hp.

Where did you get this 2hp from? How are you risking the engine if you do it right? Besides there are risk with modding, you have to pay to play. And I don't have any problems paying or playing. It's only money.....

--Herb--

as stated before this isn't a civic so you won't yield wheel spinning hart pumping hp from the pully alone. also no one has claimed that it hasn't drasticly slowed down their a/c and charging. you guys already hate your a/c the pully might make it worse.

Da 6 said:
as stated before this isn't a civic so you won't yield wheel spinning hart pumping hp from the pully alone. also no one has claimed that it hasn't drasticly slowed down their a/c and charging. you guys already hate your a/c the pully might make it worse.

What does a civic have anything to do with this topic?
And noone said that you would get "wheel spinning hart pumping hp from the pully alone"!
My A/C is fine.
There are people who want to mod their car with parts that actually make HP and TQ and there are people who want to install ebay turbo whistles. If you feel the UDP is too hard for you to install don't do it, if you feel it is not worth the gains don't do it.
You have no idea the gains a udp will produce here and neither do I. But they are cheap and there will be gains, small or large it will be worth the money.

--Herb--

I reply with that cause everyone always says you drop like 10 hp on a exhaust and 15 on a pully when you ask them wha they did to their civic. the pully will give you some gains but as stated before no body has any idea how it holds up to charging systems...unless you like the cel and lo bat light lights when you stop at the light. the pully pulls power from the accesorys to put back to the engine. for other cars people needed odp's to counteract the problems from installing the UDP's. If you never use your a/c and plan on ditching your steering then yes you might be able to pull a few more than 2 ponies out of this mod. we aren't here to kick you in the nits...just to prevent you from doing something costly to replace...(hi)

P.S. the spooling wistle was a joke....but the hollow note isn't (pissed)

Last edited:
Da 6 said:
I reply with that cause everyone always says you drop like 10 hp on a exhaust and 15 on a pully when you ask them wha they did to their civic. the pully will give you some gains but as stated before no body has any idea how it holds up to charging systems...unless you like the cel and lo bat light lights when you stop at the light. the pully pulls power from the accesorys to put back to the engine. for other cars people needed odp's to counteract the problems from installing the UDP's. If you never use your a/c and plan on ditching your steering then yes you might be able to pull a few more than 2 ponies out of this mod. we aren't here to kick you in the nits...just to prevent you from doing something costly to replace...(hi)

Well, I have modded cars before this is not my first. I am aware what a UDP will do. Yes it will decrease the effiency of the A/C but it is not unbareable. Why would we need to ditch the steering. Have you ever had a UDP, or are you just going by what you have heard or read? I don't see any ill effects for haveing a UDP.

--Herb--

I've seen p/s go out, batteries drained and altenators go from the udps. this is a mixed matched 2.3 so what happened the the foci guys might not automaticly transfer over 100%. yes many of us have modded vehicles and many of us have seen people just fubar some things. nos is explosive in the wrong hands when a n00b uses it...but thats another post and story. when I said ditch steering I ment the P/S portion. I seen alot of people pull the a/c and p/s to get the most out of the udp. not something you should do the night before autox but yeah there are many difrent ways to go about modding the 2.3(L3). If you feel brave enough to complete this then heres a tread you might also enjoy http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=835&sid=2612b653a67e137dc1deb55e7f73ee78

Last edited:
Da 6 said:
I've seen p/s go out, batteries drained and altenators go from the udps. this is a mixed matched 2.3 so what happened the the foci guys might not automaticly transfer over 100%. yes many of us have modded vehicles and many of us have seen people just fubar some things. nos is explosive in the wrong hands when a n00b uses it...but thats another post and story. when I said ditch steering I ment the P/S portion. I seen alot of people pull the a/c and p/s to get the most out of the udp. not something you should do the night before autox but yeah there are many difrent ways to go about modding the 2.3(L3). If you feel brave enough to complete this then heres a tread you might also enjoy http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=835&sid=2612b653a67e137dc1deb55e7f73ee78

What do you mean mixed matched 2.3?
I have had a udp on a few vehicles with no problems at all.
And I have been on top of the balance shaft delete kit for months now, just waiting till they are finished testing.
I don't see what being brave has anything to do with it. I have said from the start that I will see if I can get 200hp n/a out of it without head and internal work. And I will build or have built a block specifically for boost.

--Herb--

*Intermission*

Mazda3 power steering is not belt-driven. UDP will have no effect unless your alternator craps out.

Also, UDPs aren't even available for this thing yet.

*We now return you to your regularly scheduled b**** session*

Back