sunroof

:
07 F150 HD
doesnt look like it will be coming on any of the MSPs, but I have a sunroof in my current car and am really fond of it. What are everyone's thoughts about having one put in? Is there increased 'body twist' or something with a sunroof due to the unibody construction? Is that noticable or only when you are auto xing and looking or record times?

lemme kno what u think

i have a sunroof in my current car now, and i can totally live without it. not that big of a deal.

The only way you can get a Mazdaspeed Protege with a sunroof is if it is dealer installed. It will be different than the factory sunroof. No Mazdaspeeds are being produced with sunroofs at this point. Who knows what will happen in spring.

I thought that I heard sometime before that if a car wasn't specifically designed from the factory with a sunroof, that while possible to put one in still, it will decrease the overall rigidity of the vehicle?

I don't know how much of a difference it would make in autoX...it would be a very hard thing to measure as you'd have to try the same thing on the same car with the same driver just to see if there was a difference...and it could still just be all the driver's doing as maybe he just has a better run or something.

BigBlue said:
I thought that I heard sometime before that if a car wasn't specifically designed from the factory with a sunroof, that while possible to put one in still, it will decrease the overall rigidity of the vehicle?

It depends on the car, but yes, it will make the car less rigid. Proteges and WRXs, to name a couple, have roof beams that go across where a sunroof would normally go. I believe when Mazda makes Proteges with factory sunroofs they use a different stamping for the roof, with reinforcements in front of and behind the sunroof. This keeps the rigirity the same but puts additional weight high up in the car, exactly where you don't want it.

Supposedly we can't get a Moonroof. I don't know for sure. But with the WRX it would decrease structural integrity and add to the body flex. I can live without it.... $800 pass...I had one and it burnt my scalp!

-Jeremy-

Back