quarter mile times??

mazda3zoom

:
Sweetest Car Ever
if anyone has taken their 3 to the track can u please post ur times. i took mine to the track today and i was only able to hit mid 16's. i had decent reaction times (like a .200) and still couldnt get a high 15. theres a guy on another thread that claimed high 15's and i was dissapointed in my car. well anyways, post times so i know if its just the car or if its the driver. thanks everyone (boom01)

Fobby_Monkey said:
some chick got a low 15.. 15.39 to be exact.

wtf, ide like to know how. do u know who it was o if they had the factory tires, i was havin a problem launching on that track. i was breakin traction really easy. also, do u guys think that leavin my sub box in the trunk made a big difference? its a fiberglass box for 2 12"s, its about 100lbs

yes yes yes

the less weight in the car the better (better HP:weight ratio). This is the reason why alot of people "gut" their cars. Rule of thumb is for every 100lbs. lost in weight = -.1 sec. in the 1/4mile

i really wouldn't bother taking stuff out your car unless your like racing for money. 100 lbs is only .1 of a second. not like your going to go from slow to impressive with that little gain. kinda like the fat guy ordering 10 big macs and a diet coke. worthless.

A wise man said "find 500 places to shed a pound instead of 1 place to shef 500 pounds"...every lil bit counts...especially if you have a 3094 lb pound chassis pulled by a 2.3 auto...not the fastes thing out there but no where near as 56K slow as many claim it to be (chair) pull the spare tire and jack once you get to the track.

SpicyMchaggis said:
.200 r/t? did you foul or something..

naw, it way first time ever runnin out at the track, my reaction times got better the whole nite so hopefully i can improve those too. im tryin ta sell my fiberglass box so i can go back to a wood one just so that i can pull it before i go to thetrack. does anyone know if 15" rims can fit over our brakes? i know they look pretty big.

mazda3zoom said:
wtf, ide like to know how. do u know who it was o if they had the factory tires, i was havin a problem launching on that track. i was breakin traction really easy. also, do u guys think that leavin my sub box in the trunk made a big difference? its a fiberglass box for 2 12"s, its about 100lbs

There is vids of that run on another forum. And I believe she even has the spare in.

Yeah I'd take that box out when racing. Thats why I got one of those Audiobahn amplified tubes that you can pull out anytime.

--Herb--

does anyone have a linkto that thread, i looked all through here and couldnt find it, i went back to the beginning pages when nobody knew what a mazda 3 was.lol.

can't beleive some of the trouble you guys go thru to gain 1 tenth of a second. if u ever race someone do you ask to pull over so u can get rid of the spare before u race them... i mean the jack and spare weights what maybe 25 lbs? so now your taking stuff out to gain maybe .25 of a second for a timeslip that pretty much means nothing unless your actually competing.

sndsgood said:
can't beleive some of the trouble you guys go thru to gain 1 tenth of a second. if u ever race someone do you ask to pull over so u can get rid of the spare before u race them... i mean the jack and spare weights what maybe 25 lbs? so now your taking stuff out to gain maybe .25 of a second for a timeslip that pretty much means nothing unless your actually competing.

(uhm)
To some the timeslip means alot. You would only know if you were into modding and racing your car at the track. Its not like it is that much trouble to remove those things, unless you are lazy then it would seem like trouble.
I don't remove anything because I like to see my real world times. I does sound better to say I got a 15.3 straight of the showroom floor than to say I got 15.2 gutter to me. But to that serious racer the 15.2 will be better.

--Herb--

wait till you autocross....anything that moves freely gets pulled(smoke)

I seen some people pull their bumpers off and run the spare dummys to get a few seconds off their time. every second counts...sometimes all you need is a inch or less over the other person to cross the line 1st. street racing is a totally difrent story...unless you wake up and say.."I'm gonna lighen my load cuse I plan on street racing" then no you won't pull the jack and tire... you should see my rear from the work gear. if I drop the fron't you wouldn't know I didn't drop the rear.

im into modding my car and going to the track on occasion. and when i go i want to know what my car is capable of on a daily basis, not what its capable of if i strip it down to nothing but a seat.

autocrossing is diffrent in my eyes (i do autocrosss) because autocross is a competition where u are competing against guys to get first place. its seems most people that drag, just go to the test and tune nights not an actual competiton. and i'd think it be more important to know what your car is capable of doing in real worl condititons, not what it can do when u take out the tire and the jack and some carpet pad, and that empty coke bottle in the back seat.

yes you have a point...for a anytime anywhere type of competetion you wouldn't lighen the load.....actually take that back....you kick the passengers out(whip) . also some cars at the track are no where street legal so they are usually gutted down to the drivers seat, roll cage, and maybe a half empty can of(enter your favorite brand of nitrous). maybe you don't have alot of stuff in the car to weigh you down...in my case...I have a 1.4 inch drop from all the stuff in my car.

autox9.jpg

Alot of the weight reduction in autox is actually required. Nothing loose can be in the car. No hat's, water bottles, floor mats, trunk mats, etc. By the time you take everything out during prep, you've shaved about 20 lbs of crap :).

I usually take my spare out (its 25 lbs), just to get some weight off the rear, hoping it'll come loose a bit easier. Usually run with half a tank of gas...reducing the gas weight isn't as important on the 6, as the gas tank is located under the rear seats, instead of further back on the car. It helps of course, but its not a big thing.

Stretch though is insane...he actually drains his windshield wiper fluid!!!! :)

allot of people run on low gas for autocrossing just because of the fuel slosh. what does a gallon of fuel weight 8lbs? say 10 gallons, u now have 80lbs slamming into the turning side of your when u go around corners, 80 lbs of moving weight is allot diffrent then 80lbs of secured weight. i agree that anything loose should be removed, thats from a mere saftey standpoint though. one that should be used at the strip as well. dont think ive seen guys drain there washer fluid but generally the guys you see going to the extreme like that are the guys you see out there competing every single time theres an event, and they are going for class wins and year end champions type of things.

Back