winter tires?

ham

Okay fellow 'Nucks or other owners in locations where the winter white stuff falls. While it's only the start of July, I know I'll be looking for a full-time set of winter wheels/tires in the not too distant future (may even get a deal on something left over from last winter if I act now).

I'm in a 3 sport GT so I have the 17" wheels with the stock goodyear allseason rubber. Has anyone driven a winter on these yet? How did it go? Has anyone put winter rubber on and driven in snow? If so - what did you get and how did they perform.

Most of the reserach I've done indicates I'll need to go to a 16" steel wheel (which is fine as I'll want a set of tires on full-time rims that I can change myself anyway). Toyo Proxes is what my dealer suggests (215/55/16).

Thoughts?
thanks,
ham

Bridgstone Blizzaks are about the best winter car tires I've ever seen. Whenever I get my new wheels and tires, that's what I'm going to put on the stock wheels for the winter.

ham, you'll definitely need winter tires, as using the stock 17 Goodyear's will be a safety risk for Alberta.

If you look at the tire pressure sticker by the driver's door, you'll notice that they note two sizes: P205/50/17 (the stock 17-inch size), and P205/55/16 (which is the stock 16-inch Mazda3 size). For winter, get the P205/55/16 size because it won't affect the speedometer (and most importantly the ABS, which is key for winter driving).

I'll be doing the same myself - purchasing 4 Mazda6 16-inch steel wheels and then mounting P205/55/16 tires on the vehicle (probably Michelin Pilot Alpin, but that may change depending on whether there are any new models coming out this winter).

intersteing

wongpres said:
ham, you'll definitely need winter tires, as using the stock 17 Goodyear's will be a safety risk for Alberta.

If you look at the tire pressure sticker by the driver's door, you'll notice that they note two sizes: P205/50/17 (the stock 17-inch size), and P205/55/16 (which is the stock 16-inch Mazda3 size). For winter, get the P205/55/16 size because it won't affect the speedometer (and most importantly the ABS, which is key for winter driving).

I'll be doing the same myself - purchasing 4 Mazda6 16-inch steel wheels and then mounting P205/55/16 tires on the vehicle (probably Michelin Pilot Alpin, but that may change depending on whether there are any new models coming out this winter).

I wonder why the parts manager at my dealership suggested 215/55/16 and not 205/55/16 if that's what the sticker says? Things that make you go hmmm.

ham

ham said:
I wonder why the parts manager at my dealership suggested 215/55/16 and not 205/55/16 if that's what the sticker says? Things that make you go hmmm.

ham

Most parts managers are not exactly the highest authority on technical information.

That being said, 215/55-16 would be almost the same diameter (0.2" larger) but you definitely don't want to go with a wider tire in the winter. You want thin tires to dig through the snow to the road surface below. Wider tires will just ride on top of the snow.
The 205/55-16 is about the same size difference (0.2" smaller) but would be a better snow tire.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are a good choice. I live in Winnipeg and I know winter tires. We're not called Winterpeg for no reason.

Mazda6 Steels on a Mazda3

I know this is an old thread, but can anyone confirm or deny that Mazda6 Steels will work on the 3? The dealer shows a different PN for a Mazda3 16" steel, but i don't even know what that would be since it doesn't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
If wongpres thinks it'll work, then it'll work. He's pretty much the foremost authority on Mazdas that we have here.
I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, providing the offset is the same or close.

Thanks for the compliments goldwing.

DetroitSP23 did PM me, and just to re-iterate on here what I wrote to DetroitSP23, I have not done an actual test-fit with the Mazda6 16-inch steelies on a Mazda3 but I'm 99% sure they work. My original post on this thread was a couple months before I got my winters last year, but I ended up with Mazda3 16-inch alloys on P205/55/16 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's.

goldwing2000 said:
If wongpres thinks it'll work, then it'll work. He's pretty much the foremost authority on Mazdas that we have here.
I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, providing the offset is the same or close.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. The offset is 55mm on the 6 wheels, so I think it should be ok.

FYI - The 16" Mazda 6 steels fit great on my 3. Seems to be plenty of clearance to the steering/suspension.

Just need some snow now. Got about 1000 miles on the new snow tires, but I've barely seen any snow since I stuck them on Christmas Eve.

i put a set of snow tires on the stock 17's for now. i noticed a little more grip on the fresh snow and slush but i still gotta watch out for the packed snow where the slick spots are hidden. (colorado)

I just picked up my new Mazda 3 GT and put on 16 inch Toyo Snowprox S952 205/55/16 tires. My tire guy tells me that they are "performance" snows and should be as good or better than Yoko Ice Gurads. No snow yet so can't tell how they perform but the dry performance is like a regular performance tire not a bit squishy like most snows.

I have run Nokian Hakkas on my old MX-3 and Yokohoma Ice Guards before and were happy with both of those. But they did not perform as well in the dry.

I'll post after we get some white stuff (IF we get some).

Back