De-badging Your Car

richrat

:
"04" Mazda 3 Hatchback
De-badging You Car

Hello all,
This is my first post and I thought I might try to save someone else from having to buy any badges from the dealer.......DON'T TRY TO DE-BADGE YOUR CAR

I have always debadged my cars and have NEVER had any problems......

I started with the rear Mazda badge in the middle of the hatch.........IT HAS 2 HOLES IN THE MIDDLE FOR NO REASON....When I went to the dealer they told me the only badge you can remove is the 3 on the rear hatch after the Mazda.......

The Mazda badge on the left side has 3 holes in it.... (chair)

Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And did these cars pass U.S. Ecco?

This is where the test cars in a chamber for rust/corrosion

If anyone knows please respond......THANKS!

I do LOVE my car......I now have 537 miles on it....2 weeks old.

the 3 has holes then too huh? ah well, that sucks, debadge it and bring it into a piant shop to get filled/shaved and repainted (while its still new paint). thats what i'm doing to my p5.

Yep, it sucks, but true - due to not wanting to spend $$ on filling/painting, I painted my rear Protege emblem black - not too bad, but not badgeless unfortunately. Drillin' holes in the car for badges doesn't make sense to me either.

richrat said:
The Mazda badge on the left side has 3 holes in it.... (chair)

Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And did these cars pass U.S. Ecco?

This is where the test cars in a chamber for rust/corrosion

If anyone knows please respond......THANKS!

I do LOVE my car......I now have 537 miles on it....2 weeks old.

The holes are common on a lot of vehicles and are used for both locating the badges to ease installation and to keep the badges from sliding if the adhesive gets too hot.

I'm sure a secondary reason is to discourage people from removing the name on the car.

As far as corrosion testing, since the car has a 5-yr/Unlimited-mi Corrosion warranty, then I would assume that they have done any necessary testing.

Common? Hmm, I dunno about that one - most cars I've seen (including high end stuff...Benz, BMW, etc.) don't have holes underneath. Ah well, whatever....

TampaBlackMSP said:
Common? Hmm, I dunno about that one - most cars I've seen (including high end stuff...Benz, BMW, etc.) don't have holes underneath. Ah well, whatever....

I'm not in the habit of de-badging cars but a good number of the ones I've messed with had holes and pins (Benz, Cadillac, Mustang, Honda...).

I think that's what I'm thinking - my older VW's had them (2 Rabbit GTI's, '90 Jetta GLI), whereas my newer VW's didn't ('95 and '00 GTI)...

alexlitov said:
Toyota also has holes....

European cars usually don't have holes

Toyota... that's the one I couldn't rememember.

My Benz was an '89. Maybe they did it differently back then. (dunno)

If you really wanted to get creative, you could devise a new badge to put in its place. Like "PIMPIN" or "NO FAT CHICKS" or something. (evil)

that sux cause the 2.3 badges came with a guide to make the instal as accurate as humanly posible for dealers.

the msp is not that bad to debadge.. the mazdaspeed badge peels right off, then i removed the badge from the center of the grill and the center of the trunk and painted them the same color as my 2003.5 blazin yellow..came out nice.

Back