Cold Air Intakes: ATX vs. MTX

Loose

:
CX-9/Mazdaspeed 3
Ok, sorry if this has been out there already but I gotta ask it. I purschused an AEM CAI for my 3. It is currently on backorder from Ptuning.

My question is, in installing a CAI does it matter if the car is an auto or stick? The reason I asked is that I looked at my car and at some of the installs on this page and most (if not all) were sticks. I have the ATX and am worried I should cancel my order. Anyone....Anyone...Bueler....Bueler......

Don't think so

i don't think it should dude. The mechanics are all the same for that part of the car. i got the automatic yesterday and compaired the intake with a buddys 3 stick and they are exactly the same. It shouldn't be a problem. Sorry if i end up being wrong but have only had the car since last night and i'm already tearing it apart. But really it shoudn't unless the intake in this car is computerized or some weird s**t like that.

you are wrong.

The intake will be in the way of a bolt on the ATX. AEM is currently working on the issue. It will "fit" with slight modification.

?

Fobby_Monkey said:
you are wrong.

The intake will be in the way of a bolt on the ATX. AEM is currently working on the issue. It will "fit" with slight modification.

Slight modification? Should I cancel my order?

Archangelracer

To answer some questions that have arised, AEM CAI is now specified for the "manual transmission only". Injen has listed part numbers (RD6061P or RD6061BLK) "for all Mazda3 2.3L." Whether this is for both transmission types, I am not sure. I will try and contact the company for more info. They aren't the most "phone friendly" company.

As for now, all of us "losers" with the auto-stick will just have to wait for AEM to get off of thier collective asses and built use a CAI "for all Mazda3 2.3L." (glare)

man that sux...the tranny if setup anything the same sholdn't have interfeared. Nayone have a picture of where the culprit screw is? we didn't face these problems with the 6...

edit...I se it now...your intake bends inside by the tranny wher ars hoes durectly into the fender. from the picts I saw the intake sits rught on the return line of the atx ad that ant good...one is gonna give. AEM had a problem with the intakes on the 2nd gen neaons the metal intake was runbbing the plastic splashgard and the intake wore a hole and the plastic splashguard hand minor surface scratches. I'm gonna bet the bolt will wear a hole in the intake if not covered...I'll post picts of what I mean when I say it never touches near the tranny for us..

Last edited:
Sucks...

Da 6 said:
man that sux...the tranny if setup anything the same sholdn't have interfeared. Nayone have a picture of where the culprit screw is? we didn't face these problems with the 6...
Sucks, doesn't it.

Loose said:
Sucks, doesn't it.
yes it does...looks like they didn't test a atx...also here is where our pipe leaves the engine bay...where our maf is...is where your intake is already going down?
373599_143.jpg

where is the battery located again...was that an issue as of why it made that extreme 90 degree pitfall before the fender? here is a farther way pict to get a better idea as in placement for us
373599_144.jpg

Thats what i was dreading

(chair) people who sayed that it was fixed have now be fixed (blowup) . oh well i guess we will just have to wait, and the "loosers" actually have a little bit better life, the person who drives the car other than us has a less chance of screwing up the car. OH well it'll have to wait i guess, i'm not willing yet to go to zip ties, although if it takes another 3 months then i may do it. (encourage). Oh well thanks loose.

Loose said:
1/2 custom huh? Looks good.
aem doesn't put out a system with black couplers...
MzI005.jpg

it's originally a sri with custom heat shield and air/oil seperator
MzI001.jpg

the actual aem cai setup makes a sharper bend than the sri twards the fender and the filter sits just above the ugly side marker. my setup uses a difrent size pipe just after the black coupler and goes down to the 12 inch filter that sits almost on the bottom of the splash guard with fog light mesh mod.

the actual aem cai is this...
493410_35.jpg

mine is like this
373599_145.jpg

so for those who have an Idea what the cai is to look like from aem are baffled at my setup that looks...um kinda difrent.

bottom left and bottom right bumper the 3 gets their fogs stock...in that location the 6 has assesory fogs. Remember our fogs are in the headlight housing for those who got those stock...

373599_118_full.jpg

from left to right: Lo Beam(H1) turn sig (1157) Integrated fog(H3 or empty as mine above) Hi beam(H1)

basicly I removed the front facia(Bumper) and pulled the fog light delete pannels(black mesh pattern same as grill but not open on any model but the wagon) and dremeled the center out and left enough of a ring to hold on to the custom mesh(Home Depot sells a big as section for $7.99 in the drywal section where as you can get it in 1/8 the amount of mesh for $15-25 dolars at the local rip off speed shops) be careful cause once you cut the mesh it tends to becomes C-Wire and cuts thru flesh eaisly. Make a long story short I cut the mesh and used the original delete plates dremeled to retain the mesh in place and painted it flat black to not draw attetion. they look real oem(upload picture of them later tonight/morning). and my filter can be seen from the front...after 12 hard rains and multiple times thru hi pressure wash the filter doesn't get wet enough to effect the engine especally with a tb that is running a 100F and up temp.

ok in summary...opened both plates so intake gets real cold air and is maybe 15% more louder but nowhere loud as SRI and the horns(2 of em) located on other side just below the washer resevoir(SP?) are 19%-22% louder and scare anyone who is standing in front when I arm my alarm.(poke)

P.S. the K&N and AEM filters are way to soft and should be replaced with something else. The filter I have now is 12 inches long and can support my weight!....no lie (160 lbs dry). Pro Car Parts is the place I got it. Also if you can get an open top filter...

Last edited:
um i got a atx and installed the aem cai with almost no problems.. i had a little "bracket" like thing and bolted that in where the cai was supposed to go and then bolted the cai into the end of the "bracket." you prolly wont understand what i said, but i wouldnt have cancelled the order over somethig so easy to get around.

due to the soft as fock MM's the 3 and 6 have the entire engine shifts around under vvt accel and shifts...does the intake hit the bolt on your returne line on your tranny? Bolt attached to lil metal piping with red paint splashes on it? The intake will give way before the bolt will but i the case that is reversed then thats even worse. You have pictures or can you use the pictures on the 1st page of the post to discribe what and wahere you modded the intake?

Back