Official Mazdaspeed Product Information - Released 9/4/2002

JasonH

I don't have my scanner hooked up so I'll have to transcribe it by hand. This is two sheets I got from my local dealer. This info should be the same for all U.S.A. MS Proteges.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003 MAZDASPEED Protege Product Information Bulletin
Effective 9/4/2002

The 2003 MAZDASPEED Protege marks the first use of the MAZDASPEED name on a street-legal vehicle in North America. Over 1,000 modifications transform a Protege ES into this performance-oriented sport compact sedan, creating a vehicle that delivers the feel and sound that true enthusiasts expect. The MAZDASPEED's exterior features 17" custom wheels, Bridgestone Potenza tires, and aggressive styling. Exceptional handling and increased horsepower are also part of the package due to Mazda's relationships with Callaway, Tochigi Fuji and Racing Beat. The interior includes silver mesh upholstery inserts, aluminum Sparco foot pedals and shift knob, and a powerful 450 watt Kenwood MP3 audio system. Production has been limited to 1,750 vehicles.

All New For 2003
Lineup:
  • One trim level
Engine:
  • 2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder producing 170hp @ 6000 rpm and 160 lb-ft torque @ 3500 rpm
  • Turbocharger system co-engineerred with Callaway Cars featuring a Garrett T25 ball-bearing turbocharger and high-performance factory air-to-air intercooler
Drivetrain:
  • Tochigi Fuji torque sensing Limited Slip Differential
  • Heavy duty drive shafts
  • Heavy duty clutch and pressure plate
Suspension:
  • Racing Beat tuned independent strut type front and rear suspension featuring larger front and rear stabilizer bars and Tokico dampers
Braking:
  • European spec ventilated front disc and solid rear disc with high friction brake pads
  • 4-sensor, 3-channel Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
  • Silver painted brake calipers
Exhaust:
  • Sport-tuned stainless steel exhaust system with high flow polished muffler
Tires/Wheels:
  • Bridgestone Potenze RE040 215/45ZR17 Z-rated uni-directional tires
  • Custom racing Hart 17x7 aluminum alloy wheels and wheel locks with Super Silver finish
Lighting:
  • Large diameter front fog lights
  • Sport pink smoke taillights
Trim:
  • Rear skirt and side sills
  • Unique rear wing with center high mounted stop lamp
  • Aggressive front fascia and windsplit
  • Satin finish badging
Audio:
  • 450 watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 Kenwood audio system with liquid gel 3-D screen, glass antenna, wireless remote control and self-hiding/removable faceplate
  • 7-speaker system features four mid-base[sic] speakers, two tweeters, and one 250-watt subwoofer. The subwoofer and accompanying amplifier are located in the rear package tray.
Trim:
  • Unique cloth upholstery with orange stitching
  • Floor mats with MAZDASPEED logo
  • Sparco aluminum and leather shift knob with shortened shift lever
  • Sparco aluminum foot pedals
  • 3-spoke leather wrapped two tone tilt steering wheel with orange stitching
  • Scuff plates with stainless steel inserts and MAZDASPEED logo
Extras:
  • Standard trunk cargo net
  • Standard perimeter alarm
Colors:
  • Spicy Orange (25T), exclusive to MAZDASPEED, production limited to 600 vehicles
  • Black Mica (16W), production limited to 1,150 vehicles
Factory Options:
  • None
Dealer Invoice Price: $18,466
Suggested Retail Price: $19,980**

**MSRP including Dealer Preparation and Check Up required by Manufacturer. MSRP does not include Destination Charge $520.00 (Alaska $680.00) State and Local Taxes or Fees or any other charges.

Last edited:
HELL YEA!!! under $20,000 US
i hope that this is for sure though. ive been gettin kinda scared hearing that it could be up to $25,000!!! US

excellent JasonH!

Thanks for this Great info! :)
Greatly appreciated..

I'm happy to see that we'll be getting the standard Floor mats with MAZDASPEED logo...But i remember that Canadians didn't get the original Mp3 mats last time...and many of the Mp3 owners had to settle with the 'protege' embroided mats...

'Unique cloth upholstery with orange stitching':eek:

The upholstery will have orange stitching??..wow!..i didn't see this one coming!...i love it! :D

Why is it under 'extras' that there will be 'standard' trunk cargo net & 'Standard' perimeter alarm..
isn't that a contridiction itself?.
if it's extra, how can it be standard?.

clear that up for me please..
thanks!!!

mama mia! :eek:

MSRP under $20k!!!!!

compared to the Integra Type R that SCC said it dethroned, this is a BARGAIN for what you get!!!! even AT MSRP!!!

oh yeah...

the most important thing...

Translate that price into CANADIAN DOLLARS PLEASE!!!.

i don't think it's as easy as multiplying by the exchange rate, as the Mp3 converse did not work that way...:bs:

guessin by the MP3, $20,000 US should come out to just about $25,300 CDN. lets hope that its not a penny more :D

i see where ur coming from odp but the conversion doesnt work that way. the MP3 cost $18,700 US and it came out to $23,800 CDN... so based on that the MSP should be around $25,300 CDN ;)

I think the "Extras" refers to extra features that don't fall into one of the other categories. They come standard (like the wheel locks, which I'm happy to see) but don't cost "extra". Notice under the "Factory Options" section there is nothing available. Also, on the second sheet there are categories for "Equipment Packages" and "Options" and both say "Not Available". Basically, they're all identical. Take it (ok!) or leave it.

The "Satin finish badging" seems to only apply to the front and rear "flying m" Mazda badges. The "Protege" and "MAZDASPEED" badges are still chrome (chrome/black on the MS badge.)

The pictures that somebody posted of the black MS Protege indoors seems to be a production version. The differences I see between it and the pre-production cars (the orange test car that all the mags have driven as well as others) are the satin finish badges, MAZDASPEED on the exhaust manifold heat shield, ABS, wheel locks and corrugated flexible hoses on the intercooler tubing instead of smooth hoses.

Let me just add: Do we all realize what a bargain this is? I mean, an MP3 plus the ABS and alarm would cost the same! So it's like getting LSD, bigger tires, bigger axles, stiffer suspension and Turbo/Intercooler for free! (And possibly cruise control, which Car and Driver mentioned, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet.)

Man, I can't wait. Late September/early October is the time fram I was told. This dealership (as well as others on the east coast, I'm sure) has a product introduction meeting on September 16th. They're guessing that MNAO will tell them the cars are shipping at that time (sounds like they've done that sort of thing before.)

Jason

Thank YOU JasonH!

Let's see what happens when people start posting about dealer experiences once they actually purchase the car. I'm very interested to see what sort of TOTAL price people will get.

You know some dealers will try all the tricks in the book to squeeze that extra penny from you. Markups :mad: :confused:

Antoine said:
Thank YOU JasonH!

Let's see what happens when people start posting about dealer experiences once they actually purchase the car. I'm very interested to see what sort of TOTAL price people will get.

You know some dealers will try all the tricks in the book to squeeze that extra penny from you. Markups :mad: :confused:

is ther something we can all get on paper from mazda saying the MSRP? i would like to just go to the dealer, say look, you cant add anything to this car like "extra dealer options" and crap like that, there is only one trim level, just give me the MSRP, k thx bye and leave with my MSP. but its probably not going to be like that. it never is :mad: :rolleyes:

poor americans.. hehehe
you guys get the actual higher price (through direct currency exchange) and you guys general get price markups on high demand cars. :rolleyes:

sleeper_ said:
poor americans.. hehehe
you guys get the actual higher price (through direct currency exchange) and you guys general get price markups on high demand cars. :rolleyes:

at least our beer doesn't suck!!

[canadian bacon reference]

:) :D

$20,500+tax+tags should be what everybody pays. It's what I'm going to pay. I wouldn't buy from a dealer that would charge more than that. Just go to a different dealer.

I really want to know what people have seen as far as markups on vehicles. I mean, it's one thing to put options or accessories on a vehicle (which you might or might not want, I've seen plenty of that on WRXs as well as other cars) but how can a dealer justify an extra $1000-$2000 added to the cost of the car? What do they call it? Also, if they try to sell you something (like an extended warranty or "paint sealant" or rustproofing) and you buy it, well, then it's your fault.

Jason

the dealer in Connecticut that was going to charge me 1000 over MSRP rationalized it by saying "I have more buyers than I do cars"

even though I was the only person he had a deposit from........REAL professional (hump)

Holy s#$%!!!!

The official press release says it only has 16 lb/ft of torque.

I'm taking my money down to the Hyundai dealer, they have a sale on Accents!!

:D

Back