injen CAI

Heard a rumor

mazda3zoom said:
does anyone know if the Injen CAI is available yet? (headbang)

I heard that rumor but when I called around I was told that either the distributors didn't get them yet or they were on back order. I tried 3-5 diffrent places and no luck. There is however apart number so there is hope.

Loose said:
I heard that rumor but when I called around I was told that either the distributors didn't get them yet or they were on back order. I tried 3-5 diffrent places and no luck. There is however apart number so there is hope.
due to the # of high complaints with the 6 croud(Constant CEL) they will be doing extencive testing to prevent that from happening again.

1st Post

Hi guys,

Just joined and this is my first post.

I just caught the mod bug when I got my 3, so don't know much yet. If there's a newbie/dough-head place to ask dumb questions here, I didn't see it.

So, without further ado,

Da 6.......what does CEL mean? How about WOT?

I heard the Injen CAI was supposed to deliver more hp than the AEM -- anyone know if that's true?

Loose.....do you have the part number for the Injen?
Thanks

wot wide open throttle (peddle to the floor)
cell basically means your check engine light is going to come on.

injen i beleive is a few more hp. but it was throwing cels to get the higher hp number far as i know

Injen CAI

This is the part# for "all 2.3 models" I suspect this is for both the auto and stick tranny's.

Black: RD60601BLK

Polished: RD6061P

Depending on who you order it from there may be a prefix like "PT-RD6061P" That would be ptuning.com, or OPT-RD6061BLK that would be optauto.com etc...

p.s. it took me awhile to get all the acronyms as well.

hey loose

Hey a while back you asked about the CAI and the Automatic tranny, i thought it would work, have you heard anything that they have fixed the problem with the rubing, other than zipties? I want to put one on but i want to make sure i don't need to jerry rig the part to make it work. sorry to kinda thread jack, i was just wondering and i couldn't find the post that was about that. i've heard some people say (gossip) that they fixed it but i want to see if you've heard it also.

cel=check engine light...I have a custom setup and I deal with them on a daily basis. the thing was that injen designed them to be dominant over the aem setup and it threy the pcms calibrations way off...and it takes usualy 100 miles for our cars to throw a cel....injen only tested the intake till 60 miles or so. reason they took forever is after a group by everyone basicly at one big time swarmed them ith emails on why this wasn't brought up. Don't be surprised if there is a warning on the box that says this intake may cause cels cause after that they marked the 6 intakes with that. the 2.3 were least affected by this but a handfull still get cels. Usually if you resett the pcm after the 1st one it doesn't come back. I'm lazy and mine is still there. FYI if the cel is on it's ok to drive...if the cel is flashing...pull to the side of the road and get towed...

I'm almost certain the 3 will have the same problem with check engine lights that the 6 did. Same engine as the 6i :).

There have been two Fuel Trim too Lean Cel's on the 3 forums, but no more then that...yet. The way I'd put it...if your modding your car, be prepared to deal with consequences, otherwise don't mod it.

Pig rich

crossbow said:
I'm almost certain the 3 will have the same problem with check engine lights that the 6 did. Same engine as the 6i :).

There have been two Fuel Trim too Lean Cel's on the 3 forums, but no more then that...yet. The way I'd put it...if your modding your car, be prepared to deal with consequences, otherwise don't mod it.
Doesn't the 6i motor run richer than the 3 motor? Could this diffrence be the cause of the CEL's w/ the intake?

6i and 3s motor dyno the same...their virtually identical.

The reason Cel's throw is because the Mazda 3/6/8 are oversensitive to change. It takes a mere 7% change in fuel trims to throw a lean code.

Doesn't mean anything is being damaged, just that the car is out of spec in closedloop. This will happen with any intake piping that moves out of the stock diameter.

Whats the chance? Depends on how the manufacturer tuned the pipe.

Mod Consequences

crossbow said:
The way I'd put it...if your modding your car, be prepared to deal with consequences, otherwise don't mod it.
crossbow......you sure know how to make a newbie nervous..

I mean, cold sweaty gulp!!........are you suggesting that there are potential adverse consequences to many popular mods? Such as, for example, replacing the stock 205/50/17's [Badyear Eagle RS-A] with 225/45/17's [Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's]? Or putting in [Progress] anti-lowering springs and rear anit-sway bar?

If so, what adverse consequences are there, particularly with (to reign myself back to the thread) putting in the Injen CAI? If a light going on is the only consequence, that's not so bad, is it? (nervous)

Solid CEL=cool to drive
Flashing CEL=call for a ride

intakes cause solid cels...unless you go swiming then flashing cels if the engine is still running to send it.
the concequence in solid cel is you are stuck looking at it...somedays it disapears and some it comes back...my cels disapear and out of all the hard accels and hi G turns the cels only illuminate at idle? also taking it in to some dealerships.

Last edited:
Back