Fuel

Airman Jack

:
Orange 3 Sport
So does everyone toss in the cheapest gas they can find? I've been using Bronze/87 Octane/cheap gas for the first 10,000km and haven't had any problems with it. Would using a higher grade of fuel benefit me in any way? thanks! (scratch)

Previous thread

Airman Jack said:
So does everyone toss in the cheapest gas they can find? I've been using Bronze/87 Octane/cheap gas for the first 10,000km and haven't had any problems with it. Would using a higher grade of fuel benefit me in any way? thanks! (scratch)
There was a previous thread on this. My recollection the summation was the higher the octane the worse the performance. Something about the VVT and the hotter the burn.. I will try and find it for you....

Tim

stay 87 unless you are running N20 or turbo..the higher octane burns slower so it won't burn completely passing thru the cylinders and cat. in otherwards higher octane ina vehicle that can't detect anything above 87 will give you worse gas mileage...stay 87 till you start playing with the big boys:D

waste of money, unless the car needs it, i.e. - turbo, i wish i could put less then 93 in my p5, unfortunately it would detonate im sure(glad it's not my daily driver hah)

as yanked from the "octane booster thread"

Octane 101 (as pulled from the octane booster thread):

Putting in higher octane will probably never hurt a car... It will do nothing more than burn smoother and slower. In a car that doesn't need a smooth/slow burning fuel it will not help anything. In fact, putting in higher octane when the car isn't designed for it will probably lower the performance since lower octane fuel actually has more energy and burns quicker (it's got more volatile components).

Then again, I got the impression that gas companies put more additives into higher octane fuel for cleaning the engine, so sometimes you'll notice a performance increase as the fuel injectors and valve-trains degunk themselves. Many people seem to think that all the different octanes of gas get the same detergents... maybe they're only advertized on the premium gas.

As Brian MP5T points out... performance cars have high compression ratios for increased power, but because of that... they require higher octane, smoother burning fuels. Otherwise, early detonation (knocking) occurs which will hurt just about everything in the engine.

Some companies (VW, for instance) have high compression ratio's and reccomend high-octane... but they also have knock-sensors and routines programmed into the computer to just retard the timing should knocking occur. Thus, on the inside of their gas cap, they say "reccomended 91, minimum 87"

Octane is a rating that measures how smoothly a fuel burns. It's called "octane" because there was a baseline measurement done for combustion rate on octane (8-carbon saturated molecule, like propane is a 3 carbon saturated molecule... I think, it's been a long time since Orgo). Since "gasoline" is a mix of several different refined fuels with different bonding structures distilled from crude oil... it has the potential to burn less smoothly or more smoothly than pure octane... and you can add more slow-burning fuels, or things that reduce the volatility (additives) to increase the octane rating.

So yea... geeky lecture reduced: adding higher octane to a car that doesn't need it is pretty much a waste of money (unless you haven't added fuel injector cleaner in a while and want the detergent additives some gas companies add to their "premium" level fuels). Adding lower octane fuel to a car that specifically requires it will probably hurt the engine (knocking/pinging/early detonation)... Creepy cars like VW give you more of a choice, and then it's just how much you want to spend.

hope this helps

91 Octane

I started putting in 91 into my 3 a couple weeks ago. Didn't see any change in gas mileage and it put a little more top end on the car. I took it in to get a schudeled tune-up and they said everything was running how it should. The guy even said it sounded great with the CAI and Exhaust. I would recommend getting 91 (if you can afford the prices).

SoCalMzda3 said:
I started putting in 91 into my 3 a couple weeks ago. Didn't see any change in gas mileage and it put a little more top end on the car. I took it in to get a schudeled tune-up and they said everything was running how it should. The guy even said it sounded great with the CAI and Exhaust. I would recommend getting 91 (if you can afford the prices).

A couple weeks isn't long enough to really make that kind of recommendation. It can take up to a couple months for bad things to happen from too much octane (burned plugs, overheated O2 sensors, etc).

I'm not going to tell you not to do it but don't be too surprised if something bad happens down the road.

2 things cause the car to work better on higher than 87 octane....If you are in a cold region...and/or they use "Winter Gas" and the 2nd one is the gas marked 87 isn't 87(ie. low quality watered down 84+leaves & twigs that fell in when filling the underground tank... try going to a "reputable" gas station cause Gulf Gas isn't one of them... 89 can be justified if you hear knocking(Not Good) from 87 but thats it. as stated before the difrent grades are designed to burn difrent from the others...cars the require 91 and up drive reall bad if you put 87 in them....they can justify it. Some people say well it's only $.12 more than the cheaper gas. but if you fil it up often or like me (18 Us Gallon Tank) $.12 more is a beiotch especially if I have no mods to even piggy back the extra points. Kinda almost like buying tp thats $2.00 a roll to flush in the same toilet as the $.99 a roll...I won't go into deatil of why I don't het the $.99 roll cause people may be eating while scroling thru this topic. Back on topic...if you feel that the extra octane is gonna benefit you then who's here to stop you from dumping extra cash into the continueous cycle of burning gas...sit down and do yur MPG and post it in the other thread "Stating what it was in 87 and what is is now woth 91 and up"...

ok, if the car should run the same with a 87 and with 91, then why do they sell Octane Boosters ???

hyck said:
ok, if the car should run the same with a 87 and with 91, then why do they sell Octane Boosters ???

To fleece money from people who don't know better. Or for people with cars that require higher octane but want to buy cheap gas and add a $2 bottle of crap to their gas tank instead of paying the same amount for higher octane gas.

some people require higher octane. your car does not. mine does because it has a turbo. also people with cars with advanced timing, such as the mp3 should use higher octane gas to prevent detonation. i will be using torco gas accelerator (not some stupid cheap booster) because i need 93+ octane to boost 8psi, and in AZ and CA only 91 is available.

Back