Mazda3 Air Horns (pics and video with sound)

goldwing2000

Turd in the punch bowl
:
2004 Mazda3s Hatch; 269,000 miles
Ok, so this was one of the first mods I made to the car. The stock horn made me giggle every time I used it, so I figured it wasn't doing any real good.

What better to scare the bejesus out of some oblivious soccer mom who dares trespass in my lane than a set of semi-truck/freight train air horns? (rockon)

Here are the horns:
horns.jpg

Here is the air compressor and 130psi storage tank that runs the horns:
comptank.jpg

And here's a short video of how they sound (before and after)

http://home.comcast.net/~goldwing2000/Hornhi.WMV

All the brackets are custom-made (by me) and powder-coated in anthracite. All the wiring is hidden, all the hoses are either hidden or camouflaged and the power is routed through relays mounted directly in the under-hood power distribution center with an arming switch inside the car.

Total installation time, including fabricating the brackets and creating a wiring diagram, was about 25 hours. Total retail cost of all the components and powder-coating would be about $450.00 (that's not what it cost me). That's not including any kind of labor if you had to pay somebody to install it.

The horn kit is manufactured by Hadley Products

and can be purchased from JC Whitney.

Now that I have my CAI installed, I think I may move the compressor down to the area where the factory intake resonator was to help clean up the installation and get rid of the vibration resonating through the firewall.

Oh, and I have TWO pairs of the same horns on my Goldwing. (nana)

lol

That is the s***! My wife is laughing her ass off, not at the 450.00 though. I could have used them once or twice today. Driving back from MA to PA got cut off twice...those babies would have come in quite handy. Was I mistaken or did you say you have them on your bike as well. OMG! That must really get that poor M-F'S attention as he is trying to ignore you as he pulls infront of you. LOL.
Seriously, it looks good dropped but the HP has got to come first (cheaper too) remember, I'm a cheap bastard. So, where did you order the CAI from and the springs too. My wife just went to bed and I'm about to order a CAI in polished. Won't she be suprised. Now where the hell is her credit card......

Haha, that's awesome. I installed a PA in my car so if someone cuts me off i start yelling at them, or maybe just flip on the siren really quick. I was thinkin of going with an airhorn too, but for now the PA gets it done.

I was actually planning on getting the Train Horn kit from JCwhitney...it's as loud as a train..mwuahahahahaha. I'm serious about it too..not kidding. I plan on enjoying it thoroughly. I'll hook it up so that when I lock it, it honks normal horn though..cause I don't think the 4 blocks around me would enjoy a train horn sounding every now and then. Good some other people have caught on, that the louder the horn, the better. How qucikly did they ship that to you man?

Loose: Yes, I have two pairs of those horns on my bike. "Loud pipes save lives", my ass. You have to have the noise going forward!
I got the springs from shox.com but I got the only set they had and they said they won't be getting any more till at least the end of this month. The CAI is used and I got from a member of the Mazda3 Forums who was selling it on eBay. It has a little rash mark on it but it's not visible when installed. There are other people selling them on eBay for about $185 shipped. Or ptuning.com has them for a decent price.

CGCG04: I don't know if I would be able to keep my temper with a PA. Stupid drivers piss me off to no end. (rant) (pissed)
I sure like the looks on people's faces as they frantically scan their mirrors for the freight train, though. (thumb)

mazdaspeedpower said:
How qucikly did they ship that to you man?

I actually have had the kit in my garage for a while, just didn't have the right vehicle to install it in. :D

I've always had good service from Whitney, though. No more than a week, usually less.

Don't count on their "train horn" to be as loud as a real train, though. You wouldn't be able to fit an air tank big enough to actually run them anywhere in the car! The two-trumpet "train horn" they have is 115dB. Not bad but not as loud as mine. (lol2) The three-trumpet one is only for vehicles with on-board air systems. (boom07)

Careful with the PA. My friend and I were pulled over and ticketed for talking over it while driving. And we were even saying stuff to people we knew. My buddy was driving so he got the ticket. Disturbing the peace or something really stupid. The cop was in an unmarked Grand Prix so we didnt even know there was a cop around until his lights were flashing. Totally sucked.

Awesome!!

I installed air horns on mine recently, but they are a lot wimpier (better than stock, still!)

Are these really 133db in volume?! Mine are 118db, and I though they were pretty loud.

How about this though--152db! I don't know whether that's possible to install on a Pro/Mz3.

Astral said:
Awesome!!

I installed air horns on mine recently, but they are a lot wimpier (better than stock, still!)

Are these really 133db in volume?! Mine are 118db, and I though they were pretty loud.

How about this though--152db! I don't know whether that's possible to install on a Pro/Mz3.

I actually looked at those. :D

Besides the fact that they are so huge that you'd have to mount them on your roof, the air consumption is so high that you'd need a 5-10 gallon air tank and full time compressor with it's own engine to recharge the tank. Those horns are made for vehicles that already have an air supply (trains, semis, etc) and would be next to impossible to adapt to passenger vehicle use. Of course... where there's a will, there's a way. (lol2)

I'd love to see people who cut you off swerve out of the way when you lay down on those (spin)

TuRbOtEcTicS said:
this is abit off topic but where is the airhorn located on the mazda3?

Well, it's not on "the" Mazda3. It's on MY Mazda3. And you can see it behind the bumper in the very first picture.

TuRbOtEcTicS said:
i meant the stock air horn. :) hehe

No such animal.

The Mazda3 does not have stock air horns, it has an electric horn attached to the frame rail behind the left corner of the front bumper, very close to the intake resonator.

is the tone of stock the same as the 6? the stock horn is actuly manly compared to my last vehicle...now the air horns...(laugh) not anywhere near girly man at all!!

do you guys also have 2 of them..I have 2 horns(boom01) !

Last edited:
Back