Anyone dyno a 3 yet?

Gen1GT

I tried to do a search on this, but can't have a word less than 3 characters. Anyway, has anyone baselined their 3 yet?

Gen1GT said:
I tried to do a search on this, but can't have a word less than 3 characters. Anyway, has anyone baselined their 3 yet?

See sig...
I will be going soon to get the AEM dyno'd.

--Herb--

I am going on tuesday for a dyno should be interesting...are those the base numbers for our 3's?

Yeah thats my stock baseline.
Those are the peak numbers & rpm's from the dyno:
138.38Torque @ 4200rpm & 141.49Horsepower @ 6100rpm

I plan to add every bolt on that comes out and see how far I can get without getting into the internals. I might drop in some cams if that is what it takes to break 200whp. While I'm doing that I will build another engine for FI, most likely a turbo. Just got to see when someone releases a self tuner so I can reflash the ECU.

--Herb--

You won't get 200whp NA without opening it up. You would need stand-alone engine management too. I'd love to see how far you can go though, so keep us posted. Check out the NA Tech section for lots of usefull information.

We will be very close if not there with bolt ons. And as for the stand alone, I'm waiting on one of the self tuners that will be coming out, SCT. (rockon)

--Herb--

AzMz3 said:
We will be very close if not there with bolt ons. And as for the stand alone, I'm waiting on one of the self tuners that will be coming out, SCT. (rockon)

--Herb--
ceramic coating is a good way to go before FI....but than mean tearing a part the whoel engine or liek you said buidling another one...maybe from a wreck

canada3 said:
ceramic coating is a good way to go before FI....but than mean tearing a part the whoel engine or liek you said buidling another one...maybe from a wreck

Herb sounds committed to the NA route...no blame there.
Lets see how far he gets with bolt on's.
140 wheel against a 160 rate is pretty good to start with. About the same as a 175 rate Nissan Spec V....so depending on who you believe... he's not too far off already....maybe Mazda3 ponies are bigger than Nissan ponies?.

The ceramic coating is cheap and helps distribute the heat better on the piston top...got that for my FM2 Miata. Has little value for a NA car.

I think AEM already has a wide band 02 package out for under $400 which might help dyno tune up another 10hp or so. Best to wait until all the bolt ons are in place before finalizing the tune with an AEM and some sort of piggy back management system.

badAzLava3 said:
Herb sounds committed to the NA route...no blame there.
Lets see how far he gets with bolt on's.
140 wheel against a 160 rate is pretty good to start with. About the same as a 175 rate Nissan Spec V....so depending on who you believe... he's not too far off already....maybe Mazda3 ponies are bigger than Nissan ponies?.

The ceramic coating is cheap and helps distribute the heat better on the piston top...got that for my FM2 Miata. Has little value for a NA car.

I think AEM already has a wide band 02 package out for under $400 which might help dyno tune up another 10hp or so. Best to wait until all the bolt ons are in place before finalizing the tune with an AEM and some sort of piggy back management system.

Piggy back management systems will not work on the Mazda3 ECU. You will either have to go stand-alone or use a self tuner package that will allow the user to flash the stock ECU.

--Herb--

Like I said, don't forget to check out the NA Tech section. Lots of good information there, and there are a few of us doing some serious builds...

AzMz3 said:
Yeah thats my stock baseline.
Those are the peak numbers & rpm's from the dyno:
138.38Torque @ 4200rpm & 141.49Horsepower @ 6100rpm

I plan to add every bolt on that comes out and see how far I can get without getting into the internals. I might drop in some cams if that is what it takes to break 200whp. While I'm doing that I will build another engine for FI, most likely a turbo. Just got to see when someone releases a self tuner so I can reflash the ECU.

--Herb--

wow, so the M3S Auto must have something like 132 whp + 129 wtq. Interesting. I hope someone designs a Ported, Powder Coated - Intake Manifold which might add more ponies.

The Mz3 MTX has dyno'd around 140 WHP (+/- 5 hp) on multiple occassions.

The few Mz3 ATX dyno's are showing around 125 WHP, or about a 15 WHP loss vs the MTX, which would also explain the rather large difference in performance between the two.

crossbow said:
The Mz3 MTX has dyno'd around 140 WHP (+/- 5 hp) on multiple occassions.

The few Mz3 ATX dyno's are showing around 125 WHP, or about a 15 WHP loss vs the MTX, which would also explain the rather large difference in performance between the two.

Yes, I definitely noticed quite a bit of difference. Oh well, I don't actually plan on modifying the performance of my ATX 4DR. Just wanted to know what it came with stock. 125 whp looks to be about right.

have a lil fun with it...you might not be as fast as a manual but you will enjoy each performance mod you do. as long as you aren't tap dancin in VVT all the time you actually inprove MPG with mods like intake, exhaust, and 0W-20 next oil change.for oil changes "2.3" refer to link below...(print or bookmark link ASAP for later recovery!!!)
http://mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=35

the vehicle in the how-to isn't a 3 but has the same exact engine.

You also may refer to the rest of the site for more info like how the engine and vvt works in the 2.3 http://mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=14

Mazda Sales said:
wow, so the M3S Auto must have something like 132 whp + 129 wtq. Interesting. I hope someone designs a Ported, Powder Coated - Intake Manifold which might add more ponies.
Essential Speed makes custom intake manifolds

Its the same difference with the 6's too. :(

A 6s ATX (v6) dyno's around 155 WHP...only 15 more then a 6i MTX!!!!! (And weighs over 300 lbs more!!!)

The 6s MTX dyno's around 180-190 WHP...which is a massive difference vs the ATX.

cheaper and faster...only time that's a good thing.

Back