Replacing wheels on car with tire pressure monitoring ?

jtallon

:
Mazda3 5-door
If I get a 2nd set of wheels & tires for my Mazda3 with the 'tire pressure monitoring system', and that 2nd set doesn't have the fancy valve stems that report the pressure, what does the car do ? Does it report it as an error, or just realize that a different set of wheels is installed without the capability...

Thanks !

You'll get a yellow flashing light on the dash on start up with a few short beeps.
If you stack the old wheels with tires in the same garage where you park the car, the RF transmitters will fool the brain, so that won't happen for about 10 minutes down the road.

If you clip the wire to the brain, the yellow dash light stays on...no beeps.
If you clip the wire to the light, no light.

You can always transfer the TPS emitters to the new wheels...should fit many wheels, but not all wheels. May have to go to the dealer to get them "recalibrated".

Good luck..

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. It's a bit disappointing that I have to live with that annoying yellow light on the dash, unless I want to get out the wire cutters. You'd think Mazda would have SOME way of disabling the tire pressure monitoring system...

I couldn't re-use the sensors, since I got Kosei K1-TS wheels, which use two valve stems per wheel. The wheels come with very nice red anodized valve stems, so using the stock black one in one hole wasn't really an option...

If it works, below is a picture of the car with the new wheels...

Attachments

• 2004-6-17 Pictures 016 (Medium).jpg
    2004-6-17 Pictures 016 (Medium).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 930
I would think that there is a fuse you could pull or something. You shouldn't have to go around cutting wires willy-nilly.

goldwing2000 said:
I would think that there is a fuse you could pull or something. You shouldn't have to go around cutting wires willy-nilly.

The control box for the tpms is under the back seat in the sedan. Might wanna check to see if you can simply disconnect it there.

--HERB--

jtallon said:
I couldn't re-use the sensors, since I got Kosei K1-TS wheels, which use two valve stems per wheel. The wheels come with very nice red anodized valve stems, so using the stock black one in one hole wasn't really an option...

If it works, below is a picture of the car with the new wheels...
Two valve stems per wheel? What is this all about?

ZippityZoomZoom said:
Two valve stems per wheel? What is this all about?

For looks only I think. Although it *sort* of makes sense - they are opposite each other, so they should lead to a more balanced wheel without any stick-on weights... But it's pretty much for looks only.

The wheels are very nice. The Kosei K1-TS wheel is 14.1 pounds in the 17"x7" size, whereas the stock 17"x6.5" alloy is 22 pounds. So the weight savings per corner is HUGE...

Latest posts

Back