Interested in buying a Protege5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheez

Looking for anything $10,000 and under, with less than 40,000 miles. Even though it's like the 3rd least popular color, I've always liked midnight blue. Autotrader has a bunch of protege5s but they are all incredibly...overpriced...

Any ideas?

id say under 10k is going to be difficult. around 11k your options open up more. ive seen a few p5s going for around that with around 25-35k miles on em.

Thanks for the tip - any idea where to look? Autotrader is a good site I know, but any others? (Local newspapers have had absolutely no protege5s in them for some reason)

try cars.com, craig's list

i know there are tons but im not in the market so i havent really researched.

good luck :)

I just purchased a 2002 P5 last week. I mainly relied on autotrader. All local papers were a waste of time. You can try Mazda's website and check for certified used cars (i think). Also check Carmax though they have the no haggle pricing. If nothing else these will give you an idea of what's out there and what you might pay. You may be in for a waiting game unless you don't mind traveling. I waited probably 6-8 weeks before I found one that had all that I was looking for and was within an hours drive: 5-speed, power moonroof, tint glass, 24K miles, remainder of factory warranty. Paid 11.5 plus tax/fees and felt like I got a good deal. This price was below KBB, Nada, and black book values (retail in excellent condition). Hope this helps.

it took me a coupld weeks to find one in midnight blue with low milage, but they are out there if you look hard enough

I bought mine last month for just under $10K with 45K. No sunroof or ABS, on the original tires, but has leather and is in great shape.

I noticed the pricing on Ebay seemed high. I have seen some with salvaged titles trying to get $9K. (wow)

Just keep looking, they pop up all the time.

used p5 price

I got mine in march for $10.500 with 17k on it, a tiptronic, so if you are patient, they are out there. Check craigslist in your area, these are mostly private party sales. I saw a few of these cars on it for decent prices although a few people still were not clued into the fact that Mazda had seriously undercut the price of this car.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm obviously going to have to expand the color choices otherwise I could be waiting for months haha. It seems like autotrader and craigslist seem to be the best choices to look. I have a car for now, so luckily it's not urgent....but it does happen to be a very old ford explorer that was just handed down to me...yeah it's time for an upgrade.

By the way, how would you rate the car's quality as the mileage goes up? I mean in terms of engine, interior, exterior, all holding up as the mileage increases. Is it still as good of a car at 50,000 miles as it was at 15,000? Would many parts need replacing by then?

i have a p5 for sale.

02 with 49xxx red, 5 speed, with a sun roof and rack. tinted windows, full cat-back and intake. new tires, plugs and brakes, small dint in hood from highway..
$9500.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back