about the variable valve timing...

Mz3_4u2nv

:
Mazda 3s 5 door, black mica
when does it start to hit on a 5 door mz 3? i understand that honda has one of the most hardest hitting v tecs on the market but how does our mazda 3's hold up to that? thanks for the answers....

The Mazda's is much more mild so the powerband is much more natural. You can kind of tell by the engine size's and power numbers.
For example, Honda makes 200 hp even 240 hp from the 2.0 L in the rsx type s and old S2000. The Mazda3 makes 160 hp from 2.3L.

right at or very close to 4k rpms is when the entire system mutates causing a 7psi intake charge(SuperCharger Effect) and tone of intake and exhaust change...should feel a slight "Pelvic thrust" in 1st and 2nd in an autostick and not shure on manual....what you do is slowly coast to 4k and the punch it(shocked)should feel a violent jerk(but in a fun type of way)and car stand up causing everyone near you to gasp for air for the exilerating sight...ok maybe not that intense but you will get the picture if you coast till 4k and punch it tho...

Fore more info on the entire systems and terms you might see me or others use like vvt vilm vtcs and such read article below...

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=14

Last edited:
Da 6 said:
right at or very close to 4k rpms is when the entire system mutates causing a 7psi intake charge(SuperCharger Effect)...

That's the second time I've heard you mention that. Where did you find that number (7psi) and how exactly does one go from vacuum to pressure without forced induction (T or SC)? (scratch)

And another thing, I hgave tried your idea, by slowly taking it up to 4k and then punching it! NOTHING HAPPENS!! I get more of a punch from 3K then 4K!! I have a Mz3 5dr Manual. Now, at around 2700 or 3k, i get a surge of power almost, and that goes pretty much all the way through till 6K. I never noticed ANY kind of surge at 4K in my car. Maybe i am having some weird problems or something?

goldwing2000 said:
That's the second time I've heard you mention that. Where did you find that number (7psi) and how exactly does one go from vacuum to pressure without forced induction (T or SC)? (scratch)

I just read it too. There could be a 7psi charge but it would only be for a split second. It would not sustain like a supercharger, its physically impossible.

Sorry for the whole beltless internal supercharger scandal that ran rampid while I was gone... that is apon vvt everything works simotaniously causing a slipt second 7psi charge...(same effects as a supercharger..but not a supercharger)

and that was for my autostick I4...in automatic mode 3k is where I feel it(cause it downshifts alil and 4k is where it shifts again and about 4k(3720 iirc) is in manual mode where it is my 2nd gear isn't the same as your manual...
1.842 (7.561) V.s 1.497 (6.208)...hell reverse isn't even close but your 2nd gear is close to the V6 tranny tho...
....only rode as passenger of I4 manual durring autocross in one and didn't even notice he was even hitting the limiter....I also have a SRI and that also plays into factor of felling seing and hearing even on an auto when it starts... more on the engine is in the link I posted in last post above...

Last edited:
If there were cams availeble to drop in...you would move the power either to far out of reach or peak before it should on a almost stock engine....unless you do some serious N/A mods or FI then the timming is ok for now....how far have you revved before shifting...also are you applying a steady WOT thruought the rpm range?...have you taken it up to 65k? or "Accidently" to 72k? once you hit past 65k it's just excessive revving cause pcm literally kills torque at 65k. Once you shift afer 65k wou willl notice you don't get that umph that you get when shifting a 50k or or dead on 65k. also I say run your car and then get a cai and the run it again to see what I mean about you knowing when it changes tone.

Back