Air Intake

Mikey444

:
Mazda 3 & RX-8
I want to get a new air intake for my Mazda 3, Any sugestions on some good ones that would not void my warranty on the powertrain? And a price would be nice to have. Many thanks!

shouldn't void it unless your dealership is asses like that or you f*** something up while installing it like abs and headlight harness that tend to become really expencive and timely to replace...

None of them will void your warranty (well none that I've heard of). The only one that's available is the AEM CAI (KN, Injen, etc should be out within a month or so). It's selling for 200-250. Do a search! Every other post in this forum talks about getting this type of MOD. Seriously, you can't miss them...

Sir. SpeedALot said:
None of them will void your warranty (well none that I've heard of). The only one that's available is the AEM CAI (KN, Injen, etc should be out within a month or so). It's selling for 200-250. Do a search! Every other post in this forum talks about getting this type of MOD. Seriously, you can't miss them...

Wow, 200-250 that's nothing, is that for the Injen, and does it ad horsepower, like aproximately how much?

AEM is always gonna be assload cheaer than anything Injen puts a stamp on....

So what is the best intake system that I should buy, and how many extra ponies will it give me?

Again, there are many threads on this subject. They will be very helpful. Also, you can go to AEM's web site to look at the DYNOs for HP gain. None of the others are out yet, so we don't know the gains for them.

hey I saw a pic on another thread of a CAI installed and with the plastic engine cover back on, it looked like it was pushing up the corner of the cover. Is this correct? or was it just a matter of positioning? Canada3 what dealership do you use? have they given you any trouble about the intake?

what dealership? I never go to the dealership.....Any mods I have had when i went to the dealership for say a recall or something like that I have never had any problems...

I dont think I have ever heard of a intake causing a problem to the engine......its when you start adding turbos and nos and changing the internals and such that you might run into problems but bolt ons like intake and exaust should cause you any grief.....and if it does say thanks for your comments and move on to another dealership

Last edited:
I added the AEM to my 3 and it went in with little to no trouble. Everything came out easily and only the bolts for the lower air box were a bit of a beeatch. I put all the plastic covers back on with no disruption to anything in the engine. Easy install, nice sound, more power who could ask for anything more.
Airman Jack...I think i'm going to get Essential Speed to do my exhaust and use a ractive or vibrant shorty canister muffler. They say it should be no probs. I'm just waiting to get my springs first so that I can get the bends around the rear arms right once lowered.

Hey cpt'n those wheel flares that you have on the web site are they for the 3 sport only or will they line up on the sedan as well.

loriderroo said:
Hey cpt'n those wheel flares that you have on the web site are they for the 3 sport only or will they line up on the sedan as well.
they will fit the sedan i am told

Let me know when you have seen it done and then I would love to get a set. They'll look sweet when I get the 18" 's on. I just want to be sure they work on someone else's ride before I start shipping stuff up to Canada.

loriderroo said:
I added the AEM to my 3 and it went in with little to no trouble. Everything came out easily and only the bolts for the lower air box were a bit of a beeatch. I put all the plastic covers back on with no disruption to anything in the engine. Easy install, nice sound, more power who could ask for anything more.
Airman Jack...I think i'm going to get Essential Speed to do my exhaust and use a ractive or vibrant shorty canister muffler. They say it should be no probs. I'm just waiting to get my springs first so that I can get the bends around the rear arms right once lowered.
Sounds good. Take some pics when you get it done.

loriderroo said:

sounds sweet!! (yippy)
you going to have this stuff done 'round August when I get back into the real world from this swamp known as Manitoba? If so, mind if I come and take a look? (shocked)

Airman Jack said:
sounds sweet!! (yippy)
you going to have this stuff done 'round August when I get back into the real world from this swamp known as Manitoba? If so, mind if I come and take a look? (shocked)
OOHHHHH Manitoba...Sorry, anyways yeah for sure, let me know when you get back to reality and come down to Cambridge and take a look, if you like what you see then we can go to Essential Speed and get yours done. They're pretty nice guys and there work that I have seen is pretty impressive. They did a race header for a friends Civic all motor drag car and it is unbelievable. Never thought I would see metal bent in that manner.

Short intake coming...

this week. I didn't go with the CAI because sometimes the rain can be a b**** where I live. I know there's a part that will shut off the moisture though.

Anyway, I used to have a Montero Sport and I installed a 3000GT open element that fit and worked nicely, so I think I can swing the install...

In the engine compartment, what's with all the covers? What's the worst thing that'll happen if I take them off?

Back