EssentialSPEED Mazda3 CAI

canada3

:
2004 MAZDA3 GT - GFX
Hi all

Been a busy weekend and will post pics tomorrow after work

The CAI ES made for me is working awesome. I notice a big difference as soon as I drove it away. The accel has picked up and i also noticed the top end improved. Love that sucking sound. I even noticed that the exaust sounded a little deeper than before. Man you should see the plastic ES took outta there.(pics to come)

I would recommend anyone to go with ES instead of AEM etc.

Please don't ask me on the pricing as since it was the first CAI they put in on a 3 I am sure I got it cheaper then the next one but I will say it was/will be cheaper than the AEM out now.

Thanks to ES for the hardwork they put into it.

Anything I get I will be getting the work done @ ES. The guys there where great.

heres a link to their web site
http://www.essentialspeed.com/

now why would you recommend this over the AEM? any proves that this one is better? what about the research time? whp and torque gain? price range? looks? anything to compare the two?

let see if i can answer all those. and yes I have seen another 3 with the AEM in person.

the AEM uses 2.5" piping and so does this one.

looks I would say the AEM looks a little nicer (will have pics soon) but no complaints from anyone who has seen it. and yes the vent for the battery is retained.

the route is almost the same.

The ES one has a little stronger sucking sound compared to the AEM.

I have had it 3 days no cel and no other noises except the sucking.

Has made the who intake/exaust sound a little deeper

As to whp gained I don't think spending 100 bucks to dyno to find out that i gained whatever hp is worth it. But I will say that this shop did a mazda6 (2.3l) with 3 inch piping and it was dyno'ed and it made 20.2 hp at the wheels but the drawback was the there was a consent cel but that hasn't effected the 6. Like I said before I noticed a big difference and maybe when a redo the exaust again and once someone comes out with a chip that then maybe I will go get dyno'ed unless I find someone who will do it cheap

research time? I dont follow on what you mean?

price - like I mentioned before that since I was the first one the shop did I got it in my opinion cheaper that anymore that they would do would be a little more. But the AEM here is 450cdn and I paid about 40 - 45% cheaper. And my price included the installation.

I hope this helps with your questions and if you have more I will answer what I can.

I should also mention that there is a prospect looking for them to get a turbo put in his 3 but that is not yet confirmed and I beleive the total cost for the turbo + install will be about 5k - 5.5k cdn in case anyone wanted to know. They expect to turn out about 300 whp which is a bit more than the proteges they have turboed but it might be awhile before it happens.

Cheers

Nice

Pics tomorrow and PLEASE keep us posted. Congrats again. I'm insanely jelous. (bang)

research time as in how much time did they put in research and number crunching so that the fuel/air ratio is good so that it won't burn lean. The reason I ask is because it might take longer then a few days for the ECU to detect burning too lean and throwing a CEL. I am still afraid that my AEM will throw me a CEL in the next couple of days..but I know that was their number 1 on their list.

As for whp, i haven't dyno mine either..but the number for another mazda 3 is 6.5 hp peak, and 10. something ib ft of torque peak at 1200. The reason I am interested is that is because i want to know where the gain is. If the gain is in the higher rpm, there is not much use for it.

As for the AEM CAI, it costed me $300 cdn shipped. GST and Brokeage got it up to $369. No where near the 450 mark. I did do the install myself tho.

Last edited:
time researched is mostlikely gonna be under 100 miles....on the 6 it took 100 miles to throw the initial cel and after that it was cool unless you have the 3.0 cause they throw codes all tay long. Injen didn't even research it long enough to detect it. and as for dynos...I'd get the aem cai from a friend and install both on the same car cause aem poped off 12hp for my sri alone! not tat I don't beleve it but maybe the conditions were "Too Right"

anyone can make a CAI...

heck i could make one in my backyard with the right piping!!!

but its the R&D that provide maximum power gains without throwing a CEL or other issues..

yes anyone can make one....but it takes skills to not throw cels the entire time you have it... the section where the maf is MUST BE EXACT SAME DIAMETER AS STOCK or you will have that nice lil orange light on for a good minute. so you can do whatever you want and make the diamiter change to imitate the V2 design as long as that section the maf hooks up is same as stock. Just remember too many bends and crush bent piping isn't IDEAL.

well its been about 3ookm and nothing yet...I have been busy the last few days so I havent had time to take photos and I am now off to my second job for the night so maybe tomorrow afternoon.

its the same diam. as the AEM one and there are 3 bends...a 45, then a 90 the another 90...thats off my head I will have to look again to make sure...teh 45 is right out of the TB then a peice of straight piece where the MAF is the a 90 down to another 90 ending up behind the driver side fog lamp.

The filter is a vibrant as well as the couplers if anyone cares about that as well....

Cheers

canada3 said:
well its been about 3ookm and nothing yet...I have been busy the last few days so I havent had time to take photos and I am now off to my second job for the night so maybe tomorrow afternoon.

its the same diam. as the AEM one and there are 3 bends...a 45, then a 90 the another 90...thats off my head I will have to look again to make sure...teh 45 is right out of the TB then a peice of straight piece where the MAF is the a 90 down to another 90 ending up behind the driver side fog lamp.

The filter is a vibrant as well as the couplers if anyone cares about that as well....

Cheers
Thanx, I am considering this fro my car as well. let us know if you get a cel..

Tim

canada3 said:
Pics will be posted today around 2pm-3pm est

I was actually considering this company (Essentialspeed) for my CAI, but noticed that their prices are identical to AEM's (whether i convert AEM's price in USD to CDN, or buy it locally in CDN).

I think I would, personally, like to have a more proven (if not just slightly more proven) 1-piece performance part, then a 2-piece part from a company that doesn't even offer dyno run results.

Am I wrong here? :)

~Bart~

canada3 said:
no comments on the looks? on and BTW no CEL in 700km

My mama always told me that if I don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

But since you asked...

I think it looks like a galvanized steel fence post.

Back