Straight pipe any one?

TuRbOtEcTicS

:
Mazda3
has any one just take off the stock muffler and put a pipe to fill that gap on their 3? did u guys feel any power gains? and how loud is it? im thinking of doing it so some feedback will really help.. thanks

wait till the afternoon(Everyone is awake!!!) and do an experment withought the muffler....then see if you would like it.... after you see the loss in lowend and increased buzzzzz(Honda hitting Vtec with fartcan) you will then decide to wait for draxas mufflers or get custom muffler made...

When I put my Borla muffler on the guy at the shop tried to talk me into doing it. He said it would be ok to do, he said it would sound good and I wouldn't have to drop 175 dollars into a muffler. I decided to go with the muffler but if you want do it.

bjfaircloth said:
When I put my Borla muffler on the guy at the shop tried to talk me into doing it. He said it would be ok to do, he said it would sound good and I wouldn't have to drop 175 dollars into a muffler. I decided to go with the muffler but if you want do it.

can u get a sound clip of the borla on ur 3, i want a borla for mine but donno how it sounds

i cut out the resonator and put a straight pipe in its place. then used a magnaflow muffler and put it where the factory muffler was. it sounds good.

Da 6- someone on here told me that the factory cats were so constrictive that takin out the muffler wouldnt cause any drops in low end torque.

damn I forgot you guys have...2 Seperate Cats...and a resonator.... It would be loud without cause I had the same idea till someone threw on a lesser restrictive muffler and it was almost as loud as my intake now. like above...remove the muffler when everyone is awake and see 1st hand what it would sound like before spending any money on the project....with windows down drive under overpasses...tunnels..alleys...parking garages in between 2 semis with box trailers also gotta get on the freeway and hear the "Drone" once you hold a cruising rmp for a minute or so. yes it might free up some power but the noice might canel out the point of even doing so. Catback for me would do lil gain since my exhaust is from the V6 model...but you guys have the opportunity to swap out and delete a cat in the process. For the person who cut the resonator did you put stainless steel piping in place of it? reason being is once it snows(If it does where you are) the road salt will start eating at it....

Last edited:
Da 6 said:
damn I forgot you guys have...2 Seperate Cats...and a resonator.... It would be loud without cause I had the same idea till someone threw on a lesser restrictive muffler and it was almost as loud as my intake now. like above...remove the muffler when everyone is awake and see 1st hand what it would sound like before spending any money on the project....also gotta get on the freeway and hear the "Drone" once you hold a rmp for a minute or so. yes it might free up some power but the noice might canel out the point of doing so. Catback for me would do lil gain since my exhaust is from the V6 model...but you guys have the opportunity to swap out and delete a cat in the process. For the person who cut the resonator did you put stainless steel piping in place of it? reason being is once it snofs(If it does where you are) the road salt will start eating at it....

i actually had a muffler shop do it since i dont own a welder (if i did ide do it myself) and i dont know what kinda pipe they used. they have a lifetime warranty on the pipes and welding so if it rusts ill make them replace it. when i was gettin it done i had them just put the magnaflow muffler on without takin out the resonator and it had NO noise to it at all, then i had them cut out the resonator and then i had some sound. and yes it snows here, i live in Michigan and i hate it.

mazda3zoom said:
i actually had a muffler shop do it since i dont own a welder (if i did ide do it myself) and i dont know what kinda pipe they used. they have a lifetime warranty on the pipes and welding so if it rusts ill make them replace it. when i was gettin it done i had them just put the magnaflow muffler on without takin out the resonator and it had NO noise to it at all, then i had them cut out the resonator and then i had some sound. and yes it snows here, i live in Michigan and i hate it.
have you driven your 3 in the snow yet? both the 3 and 6 are nice cause they are FWD! I pissed off my friend with a mustang when I could get my neon out the snow in 3 seconds..LOL 6 went like there wasn't snow at all. yep it it life time hold them to it and yep snow is fun...as long as you live somewhere people are use to it snowing...if it rains here 5 cars crash in front of you in the 1st 20 mins...when it snowd that tripeld in 6 mins! the fact they don't salt as much and use tractors to plow instead of snow plows makes the situation worse... Was it that quiet? I still say for those who wanna run no muffler at all...try the suggested method above...

mazda3zoom said:
if anyone can tell me how to get a sound clip onto here ide be more then happy. im not the best with computers. (dance)
if you use a hand recorder and place it next to the mic if your computer had one. under assessories then entertaiment there is a program called Sound Recorder....open it up and press play on the hand recorder and record on the sound recorder....not the THX quality but gives enough of a "Idea" what to expect:) I beleve you can upload it to this site...if not someone here can support it...

Last edited:
mazda3zoom said:

Even without the resonator, mazda3zoom's car is still really quiet. It sounds good but it's definitely not "fart can" loud. The cats must be pretty restrictive in these cars. Makes me think twice about that VRS system that loses the resonator AND the rear cat. (hmm)

man....if it's that restrictive....damn is all I can say!

goldwing2000 said:
Even without the resonator, mazda3zoom's car is still really quiet. It sounds good but it's definitely not "fart can" loud. The cats must be pretty restrictive in these cars. Makes me think twice about that VRS system that loses the resonator AND the rear cat. (hmm)

thats kinda what i was goin for, i didnt want it soundin like s*** (or a honda)
ill try and get a sound clip on here ASAP.

question... if I remove the cats am I going to loose any torque? and if I do remove the cats do I need a CAI??

removing cats will send a permanent cel(unless you ran the simulator)and loose low end torque....also cause the "angry swarm of bees effect"

hyck said:
question... if I remove the cats am I going to loose any torque? and if I do remove the cats do I need a CAI??

now why would you need a CAI because you remove the cat? and WHY would you want to remove it in the first place. Think of how you will be poluting the air.

Every single passenger car on the road combined produces less than 25% of the overall air pollution. I seriously doubt one Mazda 3 without a cat is going to tip the scales for global warming.

goldwing2000 said:
Every single passenger car on the road combined produces less than 25% of the overall air pollution. I seriously doubt one Mazda 3 without a cat is going to tip the scales for global warming.

Damn if I would have said that the "tree huggers" would have been all over me. (strike)
I will be ditching both of the cats soon.
--Herb--

Back