tires for the 17" wheels

Mikey444

:
Mazda 3 & RX-8
The stock tires that come with the 17" wheels Good year RS-A, I find them to be pretty bad, the only reason why the car stay on the road with those tires is because the car is good, if you read reviews about these tires you will find a lot of complaints about tread wear and road noise and a lot of ppl say it does not stick to the road at all. I only have 11 000 kilometers on my car and I am already looking for new tires

So I was wondering, I found a really good tire out there, but the size is P205/45 ZR17 and the stock is P205/ 50 R17. I am wondering is having the car lowered by an inch with this tire would be a big problem. Or else i will just pop on some Michelins Alpin Pilot A/S

Last edited:
It's not the lowering that is a problem, it's the decrease in diameter. If you put those tires on, your speedo will read faster than you are actually going. Like your speedo will say 120 but you'll only be going 100.

There's technically nothing *wrong* with it but people generally do not go to a smaller tire. The decision is yours, of course.

I understand, is there a way of reseting the speedometer, if not, I'll just pop some Michelins on. The reason why I was thinking of putting those other tires on is because I read some extremely good reviews about them, no negative coments, thnx for your input.

the company doesnt make the tires in the size you need? there really is no way of resetting the speedo as far as i know. i'd pick a pair of tires that actually fit your car. there are enough good brands out there to make a tire in your size. give toyo a try. i love their tires i use the fz4's

sndsgood said:
the company doesnt make the tires in the size you need? there really is no way of resetting the speedo as far as i know. i'd pick a pair of tires that actually fit your car. there are enough good brands out there to make a tire in your size. give toyo a try. i love their tires i use the fz4's

I would love TOYO tires, but they dont make my size

if you want Toyo's, keep in mind you can get a little bit of a wider tire (someone with a Mazda3 chime in here to suggest sizes) but something like 215/45/17 is only slightly smaller in diameter than your stock 205/50/17 and should still fit on your stock rims without rubbing anywhere.

play with the tire calculator on miata.net to see different size tires and how they would affect you:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

PS: You can get Toyo Proxes4 (for example) in 215/45/17 if you are dead set on Toyo.

yea but the smaller diameter will cause my speedometer to not give the actual speed, I will look into slightly wider tires but not change the diameter, thank you for your input though. I really apreciate it

If your tires are done after 11,000km it's got to be the way you drive that wears them out, not the tires.

goodyears aren't that good....michelin mxv4+(Better as a snow tire) are only like 1 step up but aren't worth the price you pay for them.....dealer charged $160 per tire when I had to get another set....could have gotten falkens cheaper all around for what I paid...someone managed to squeeze on 225 45 zr17"s o their stock 6.5 17 rims...funny thing is thats the tire and size used in rev it up...

Last edited:
Mikey444 said:
yea but the smaller diameter will cause my speedometer to not give the actual speed, I will look into slightly wider tires but not change the diameter, thank you for your input though. I really apreciate it
right.. i know how it works.. which is why i suggested the 215/45 series.. it is smaller yes, but only a wee bit smaller (speedo is off less than 2%) .. the 45 is a percentage of 215 .. just like the 50 is a percentage of 205 .. so 215/45 is very close in diameter to a 205/50 ..

45% of 215mm = 96.75mm versus 50% of 205mm = 102.5mm

difference is only 5.75mm (less than of an inch)

Garfinkle said:
If your tires are done after 11,000km it's got to be the way you drive that wears them out, not the tires.

I think so not, I didnt wear out the tires on my Altima nearly as fast, far from the Good Years.

fkmp5 said:
right.. i know how it works.. which is why i suggested the 215/45 series.. it is smaller yes, but only a wee bit smaller (speedo is off less than 2%) .. the 45 is a percentage of 215 .. just like the 50 is a percentage of 205 .. so 215/45 is very close in diameter to a 205/50 ..

The problem with a 215 width is that it does not crunch thru the snow as a tire that is not as wide

yeah but on my toyo fz4s i got over 75,000 miles out of them with a few days of autocrossing thrown in. sure beats the milage you got. have u looked into nitto?

Roywhitep5 said:
i heard that next year falken will come out with 215/45/17 azenis like they had at rev it up
(boom01)....they weren't 225?...

fkmp5 said:

It's actually 5.6% smaller.. Speedo says 100, yer doin' 94. At 100 000 miles on the odo, you'll only have driven 94 400...Still not a big difference.. Less chance of tickets, I suppose ... :) More torque too!!! LOL

Edit: spelling

bvmazda3 said:
It's actually 5.6% smaller.. Speedo says 100, yer doin' 94. At 100 000 miles on the odo, you'll only have driven 94 400...Still not a big difference.. Less chance of tickets, I suppose ... :) More torque too!!! LOL

Edit: spelling
overall diameter is only 1.8% less .. this means at 100mph you're really only going 98.2 mph .. source = miata.net tire calc

actual sidewall height, however, is 5.6% smaller..

i would definately accept that size as a replacement..

Da 6 said:
(boom01)....they weren't 225?...

I think he is right, after looking at the pics of the Rev-it-up cars they do look alittle different then mine.
I'm happy with them till 215's come out.
--Herb--

Back