Remove Side Moldings. Yes or No

Should I remove the side moldings on my 3 5-door?

• Yes

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 36 58.1%

• Total voters
:
Mazda 6s Lapis Blue / Mazda3 5-door Sunlight Sliver
What is everyone's opinion on removing the side moldings. Which looks better?

My side moldings saved my rear left door from a very expensive how-you-doin' with a cement pillar yesterday. Instead, all that needs repainting is the side molding, which is a cinch. Keep them. You have them for the very incident I had yesterday.

If you live in the real world (one filled with shopping carts and careless drivers), leave them on.

goldwing2000 said:
If you live in the real world (one filled with shopping carts and careless drivers), leave them on.
(mswerd) sometimes you have to think about practicality

I say keep them. Right after I bought my MZ3 HB, I was pulling into Lowes parking lot, and a gust of wind slammed a cart into the passenger front door. It hit pretty hard but the molding kept the damage to a minimum, a small dent right above the molding. If the molding wasn't there the dent would be a lot worse. You can't see it unless you look closely from the front.

don't you just wish you had a saturn? I would have the factory paint still on the car.

im taking mine off. i did that with my old protege and it looked much nicer, so i think im gonna try it with this one also.

I did that as soon as I saw someone else's 3 with that mod. I think it looks much sleeker, just make sure you don't have the "2.3" emblem on there as well, if you do make sure you remove that too.

The door molding on most cars, the 3 included, is too low on the door to be of any good. In order to protect the body from door dings, the molding must be at the widest point of the car when looking at it head/tail on. Otherwise, it's purely cosmetic.

protejay5 said:
(mswerd) sometimes you have to think about practicality

I think I prefer form over function (at least in regards to this). I mean, if I had that attitude I might as well use a bra, mud guards, 3m clear bra on the rest of the car, door trim moldings, fender moldings, etc. Door dings just add character...lol..not really, but you get my drift. Well, I will most likely take them off and take certain risks. Thanks for all the replies.

I'd take them off, provided they're not too big of a pain to do so...also if there are holes underneath (which I have no idea about since I don't have a 3) , I'd prolly leave them on - not worth the time, $$, etc.

Glad my car didn't come with them...hehe.... :p

Hell yeah, best thing I love about my saturn is the flexibility of the exterior panels. For example, approx 4mo. ago some dipshit rearended me. His whole right fender was INSIDE my left rear fender. We pull em apart and his whole fender is crumbled and Fubar'd. I looked at my car and the plastic popped itself back into place and it had a long ass scratch on the bumper. I took her home washed the car and scrubbed the scratches out. All I needed was some touchup paint and a bumper re-align. Total cost was $300 to repair, and I said screw that. The asshole who rearended me ended up with approx $2k+ in damage. I remember when I got in a fight when I was in high school, the fellow that I had a disagreement threatened that he would "KICK" my car in. I told him to on a dare. After he kicked the car repeatedly for about a min or 2 he gave up after he realized he wasn't doing any damage.
Honestly, I'd go for another saturn if they had kept building the S-series and just put a better motor in em. But whatever.

I like the no moldings on the car, makes it look much sleaker. My only concern is the part of the vehicle underneath the moldings completely painted and clearcoated?

Rock said:
I like the no moldings on the car, makes it look much sleaker. My only concern is the part of the vehicle underneath the moldings completely painted and clearcoated?

It's completely finished underneath the moldings.

I think Mazda adds side moldings at the dealership. And since the body is painted at the factory, the indentation in the doors where the moldings go are already primed and painted.

yes there painted and no holes or resessment underneath them. They change the look of the car signifigantly....if anyone removes the 2.3 badges...send em my way(smoke) I need trunk badges...was gonna shave the trunk but nobody in this area has a clue what the 6 even is(boom05) only thing you wanna do is have hair dryer, adhesive(Not Nail) remover, water, and wax......heat them up if it isn't hot as hell outside already... peel using a old credit card(Perfect Tool Evar) if you still have one around. use remover to remove left over glue and wash and wax the area or you will loose some shine from clear coat in the area you put the remover on. as stated before dings will happen regardless of moldings(except in 2nd post case scenario) so park away from the croud of rustbuckets and 2 door coupes.

Kain said:
I think Mazda adds side moldings at the dealership. And since the body is painted at the factory, the indentation in the doors where the moldings go are already primed and painted.

Indentations? What indentations?

ditch them if you know how to park your car, just park a bit further out where old women wont' ding your doors, i removed the trim on our sunfire the first day we had the car, its been going on 4 years now and not one single door dent or scratch. its all in how you take care of your stuff. if you go and park with the other monkeys dont be surprised when one of them throws sh%$ on you.

Back