My MZ3 5door's handeling sucks on the freeway!!

Ok guys, I don't know if it is just me and i hope it is(and they can fix the damn problem), but when I'm driving on the freeway it feels like I am getting swayed back and forth pretty badly. I live in AZ and the winds here can get pretty bad, but I'm noticing that I'm swaying around a lot more then say the vans, and trucks!!!!!! I'm thinking something must be wrong with the tires, balancing something! It pulls to the right a TINY bit. I'm kinda worried here guys. Anyone have any ideas on what to do? I already gave them my car for a alignment and they said that they didn't ahve the Specs yet because it was to new, but they did a manual alignment.

Mine is smooth and stable at highway speeds. I haven't driven in a lot of high wind though.

IllBinfrontofya said:
when I'm driving on the freeway it feels like I am getting swayed back and forth pretty badly. I live in AZ and the winds here can get pretty bad, but I'm noticing that I'm swaying around a lot more then say the vans, and trucks!!!!!!
1) Vans and trucks weigh A LOT more than the Mz3. You're looking at at LEAST 2 tons more than a Mz3 Sport....so it's not surprising to me that there is a little movement in the car on the highway.

It pulls to the right a TINY bit. I'm kinda worried here guys. Anyone have any ideas on what to do? I already gave them my car for a alignment and they said that they didn't ahve the Specs yet because it was to new, but they did a manual alignment.
2) Roads are naturally curved. This is a throwback to the Romans, when they built their marvelous roads....they realized that with curved surface roads, water will not collect on the surfaces and therefore drain to the side of the roads. So when you drive on the right lane, usually the car will pull to the right.....esp. when you're driving at hwy speeds too (which in turn will cause the pulling to go even faster than say on a normal road).

Anyways, it's okay, don't worry.

Stable

My 5DR has some sway at high speed (85+), but I traded a full size Bronco for it and nothing sways as bad as that thing did @ high speed. The car is light and boxy so I would expect to have SOME sway @ high speed in high wind situations.

Tim

i just took my 3 1300 miles to the coast and back and it didnt feel bad at all. we even went thru some pretty strong winds over the prairies and it was still smooth, but it did sway some when there were strong gusts. i would excpect to feel it a little more in a hatchback vs a sedan tho. only things i can think of are a new set of springs and another alignment once they get the specs(even tho thats crap and i would expect mazda to already have them).

Yea!~

sam1 said:
i just took my 3 1300 miles to the coast and back and it didnt feel bad at all. we even went thru some pretty strong winds over the prairies and it was still smooth, but it did sway some when there were strong gusts. i would excpect to feel it a little more in a hatchback vs a sedan tho. only things i can think of are a new set of springs and another alignment once they get the specs(even tho thats crap and i would expect mazda to already have them).
I think it is really stupid also that they can produce a car, align it at the factory, but not send outy the SPECS to the dealers!!! HELLO, WE NEED ALIGNMENTS to save our TIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't noticed any pull yet, apart from what occurs due to the shape of the road. I do have an intensely annoying drivers door rattle, so it's going back to the dealer to have that fixed. I occassionaly have trouble shifting down from 5th to 4th, but that's probably me just getting used to a stick again.

We put about 700 miles on it this weekend going to Port Aransas and doing some other stuff... I noticed that while it can really move, it's easy to get up tp 95/100 mph without feeling like you're going over 70!

Oh yeah, and I managed to scrape one of my alloys slightly... think the dealer will replace if I beg??

I've notices some pull, enough to make you stay awake will on the highway.
I figure its the suspension. When the Eibachs come in I'll let you know if that makes a difference.

RonH said:
Mine is smooth and stable at highway speeds. I haven't driven in a lot of high wind though.
(mswerd)

You guys need to take a ride in my old KIA sportage, then come to me about sway in the 3. LOL

Hey Forum...
Well that problem happened to me about 2 1/2 months ago..I fixed the problem the factory tire pressure is pretty high...so I lowered it and the problem solved..and it was a nasty tremble like a sort of jumping feeling at 70+mph also I found a nail stuck in my right front side wheel and I went two times, two hour, trip around with that...problem solved...no more tremble in my 3...

Take Care
Hope this helps
PRBOY3

one thing to take into consideration is torque steer...the 3 and 6 both suffer from it...pulls right verry little bit is normal pull right alot isn't. If you havn't noticed this try launching with no hands(In safe area so you don't damage car or property) and you should notice the steering wheel jerk right. also another thing is to check the tire pressure and make shure it is the same on both sides.

With the Eibachs no more swaying in the wind! Much better than stock.

Some of the tourque steer is caused by our tires. They have asymentric tread, this pulls the car to the right a bit when you loose traction.

Thats my next goal is to get some good tires.

Last edited:
How much are people paying for the eibachs and how much does an install run? I am really considering it!! Also, can the dealer do it? :) Just asdkin

IllBinfrontofya said:
How much are people paying for the eibachs and how much does an install run? I am really considering it!! Also, can the dealer do it? :) Just asdkin

You'll pay around $200 for the springs but I seriously doubt the dealer would do the install. Even if they did, they would charge you too much. If you can't do the install yourself, try to find a good spring/suspension shop.

Midas or Pepboys will do it. They'll charge about another $200.

It really isn't that hard, its just easier with a buddy helping. I did it myself and it took me 3 hours, mostly figuring out how to get the first srut out of the base. The brute force method with a little wd40 works best. I just took about an hour to figure it out.

dealership won't touch it...hell even told me I voided the warrenty on my calipers by just painting them;)

rjison said:
Midas or Pepboys will do it. They'll charge about another $200.

It really isn't that hard, its just easier with a buddy helping. I did it myself and it took me 3 hours, mostly figuring out how to get the first srut out of the base. The brute force method with a little wd40 works best. I just took about an hour to figure it out.
Did you use a compressed air gun or just brute force and rented spring compressor? I might just do it myself if I can rent the spring compressor and get a friend to donate a day to my cause.

IllBinfrontofya said:
Did you use a compressed air gun or just brute force and rented spring compressor? I might just do it myself if I can rent the spring compressor and get a friend to donate a day to my cause.

Goldwing has a pretty good guide to DIY without a spring compressor here

PeteyBoy3K said:
Goldwing has a pretty good guide to DIY without a spring compressor here

Thanks, Petey. It doesn't involve much brute force, either.

I'm a firm believer in "Work smarter, not harder."

I'd suggest playing around with your air pressure. For me, I run 37/38 front, and 32/33 rear, and the ride is great well up into the 90-100 MPH range. If your tires are pumped up to low 40s, or more, I can see that causing problems.

From the dealer, my tires were set at 28 btw, way too low. We also read here about people who have gotten their cars with it set at 45 all the way around, which is way high IMO. Experiment a bit, and I'm sure you'll find a more comfortable, and easier to manage ride.

Back