:
Mazda 3 MS sedan
is this another resonator??

and it can be removed?

Attachments

• resonator.jpg
    resonator.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 444
ummm....goldwing you get that far at "familiaizing" yourself with the engine yet? would say iac bit its way before the tb...?

the thing is befor the tb and it is only holded by 2 screws

oh and i got it out hehe coudnt resist... (btw i covered the hole that it left)

Attachments

• DSC00094.JPG
    DSC00094.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC00093.JPG
    DSC00093.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 278
I believe....

My limited experience would lend me to believe that thing is a sound baffler or so sort of device for the ELEV design. Goldwing is very knowledgable w/ these things so ask him for clarification.
Tim

Last edited:
Bad idea!

TX2000 said:
the thing is befor the tb and it is only holded by 2 screws

oh and i got it out hehe coudnt resist... (btw i covered the hole that it left)
Don't cover the hole on the bottom of the air box. That is where your car now gets air from.

nono i covered the hole that "the thing" left because it is after the filter.. the bottom hole is open

TX2000 said:
nono i covered the hole that "the thing" left because it is after the filter.. the bottom hole is open
OIC. iIn that case congrats and welome to the resonator-less population who burn more gas because they love the sound of thier 3 w/o that giant POS thing on thier car.

Tim

I'd have to agree with the consensus. Since it has no other inlets, outlets, wires or doors (does it?) it pretty much has to be an expansion resonator.

Since it's peripheral to the air flow, I don't see how removing it will have any benefit, though. I'm just going to leave mine on until I install the CAI. Since it gets removed with a CAI installation, it can't be that important, now can it? :p

yeah good point...I lost a entire vad and sensor with the cai...it serves some purpose but nobody knows.... entirely since that bellows tube is replaced with a coupler from aem...

malebastard said:
so no one knows what this is and what it does???

Like I said, "Since it has no other inlets, outlets, wires or doors it pretty much has to be an expansion resonator."

They have similar things on household plumbing to control expansion and noise. This is the first time I've seen one on a car, though. They must have been going really nuts with trying to keep this thing quiet.

i just did my own set of ground wires...

from battery to engine block and ETB and from the ETB to the fuel rail

ok i was driving around and noticed that i can hear more the "whoosh" when the engine is breathing..

Hi Forum..
Well "TX2000" looks like you are from my island... please if you have messenger add me to your contacts...nice buddy for 3'ing is pretty good...Have a BlackMica Mazda3 Sp HB AUTO...one question?
How did you cover the hole when you took out the "resonator"? Is it worth it?
Take Care..
PRBOY3

well i just noticed that it sound better now but is a pain to get it out so i say leave it there... u wont ger any performance gains..

BTW prboy3 PM me with ur email so i can add you to my messenger list

"resonator"

That "resonator" is just an intake muffler. They've actually been putting them on cars for years, and its sole purpose is to keep intake noise down by providing extra air when you need it so you don't hear it sucking from the outside air. Take a look at a Subaru under the hood, they have a quite a few.

Latest posts

Back