Isn't the MS Protege a "TUNER" car?

I keep hearing different reactions from people on this forum on how they like the performance numbers of the MS-P or they don't. I thought Mazda was doing a good thing here in that they are actually selling to the TUNER community. A tuner to me is a person who wants to get the most out of the vehicle they are driving by adding either bolt-on products or making custom modifications to boost horsepower. If that is the case won't most of these MS-P's get "boosted" in some way or another? Some of you have mentioned adding larger turbos, chips, intercoolers, BOV's, and timing kits. The 170hp claim by Mazda is a nice starting point. I can't imagine it would take much tuning to get a nice 200hp out of this car. That is the beauty of turbos. I am looking forward to driving this car. I hope to be very impressed.

I know Mazda is supposed to be selling Mazdaspeed performance parts. What I would like to see is a line of upgrade parts from Mazda. Bigger turbos, ecu's, etc. Do you think Mazda is looking at the huge aftermarket peformance offerings and saying "hey, I want some of that action."? If so and they plan to produce some great products with a warranty, I may be persuaded to buy some.

I am number 1 on the MS-P list at my local dealer. I would love to know when these cars are going to make it to the dealers so I can know when to sell my '93 Honda Civic Si. I think I am going to leave this car pretty much stock because it is going to be my daily driver but I will be very curious to see what modifications the rest of you will make on your MS-P's

Jonny

nice first post.

anyhow, mazda has got to see that they can make some serious cash by doing exactly what you say. if they do offer "performance parts", they are only going to do it at a few dealers...i say let all of them be able to sell the parts, not necacarily stock them...i dunno, just more thinkin out loud.

Re: nice first post.

derrick1623 said:
anyhow, mazda has got to see that they can make some serious cash by doing exactly what you say. if they do offer "performance parts", they are only going to do it at a few dealers...i say let all of them be able to sell the parts, not necacarily stock them...i dunno, just more thinkin out loud.

I would rather have only Mazdaspeed-certified dealers to offer these parts, as they have been (or should be) properly trained in installing Mazdaspeed performance enhancing parts on stock Proteges (or Mazdaspeed Protege). There are too many dealers out there that simply ain't competent enough to even simply maintain their own line of cars :(

this also enhances the exclusivity of have Mazdaspeed-prepped cars ;)

First off.... Jonny Miata, Welcome to our happy little corner of the net. There is a BIG fridge in the corner with just about anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. (stash)

make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!! (stash)

well....as far as the aftermarket goes....I really don't think Mazda gives a flying rats butt about getting into that part of the market...even if there is a lot of money to be made there....its just not their main focus. and as far as Service people either knowing or NOT knowing what they are doing....I don't believe that being an AUTHORIZED MAZDASPEED dealer is going to have any bearing on that at all....for if they were crumby mechanics before...they will be now. the only thing that will be different is that the OWNER had enough bucks or stroke to get the franchise for Mazdaspeed, nothing more. Which is why I would like to see the entire line of parts available through ANY dealer.

of course Mazda COULD go the route of wanting to keep their cars PURE...and not have a bunch of imatations running around....I have seen this done before where the only way you can purchase the "special parts" is if you actually own one...and have proof. it could happen!!!

(stash)

the deal with MAZDASPEED dealers is that they will offer the mazdaspeed parts.....and they are the only authorized dealers to sell the MS-P......its just like ford does with SVT, Saleen, Roush, Steeda and Kenny Brown......only those dealers can get those cars and parts and keep them under warranty....the same goes for mazdaspeed dealers.....all the parts they sell and install will have a warranty.....and mazda is gonna continue further into the import scene.....they're gonna be like ford....they have a little of both sides....the fun cars and the big peoples cars....anyways...thats my 1 1/2 cents...later

My only worry about having these "exclusive" dealerships is for people in smaller markets where there may only be one or two Mazda dealerships. What happens if neither of these dealers can get the Mazdaspeed license...then everybody in that area is out in the cold? Doesn't seem like a good way to keep your own customers happy to me....

I wouldn't worry about the mazdaspeed dealers....there should be one close by to where u are.....Personally i wouldnt think mazda would let itself lose business by makin the requirements to become a mazda dealer so high that only these major cities could have em.....the one thats by me doesnt do alot of business....but they sold all their MP3's quickly and when the MSP's come in...they'll prolly be gone just as quickly....if there isnt a dealer in your area....i would talk to mazda corporate...get friends to call in too...and say that its not fair there isnt a MS deaaler in your area because of the requirements to become a dealer.....and let them know they are losing business by doin this....they'll most likely change....thats more of my 2cents..later guys

Back