Shifting Resistance on the 5 spd

Hello Mazda Brothers, and Sisters. Awesome Site first of all!!! Thank you to all who had a hand in it!! I'm a damn pround new owner of the Mazda 3 5-Door here in the US of A. I picked up the 5 spd wanting to get back into it. I've had to rag around in an auto for about a year...yuck. Anywho, I've got less than 900 miles on it, and the issues I'm having is that at certain times, moving, or sitting a red light I've getting different levels of resistance from Very light, to needing moderate force to get her through the gears. The cluch hits the floor with every shift so I know its fully disengaged, and there's no hesitation with the power....Can anyone help me out, or tell me I'm paranoid??? Thank you all!!!

Last edited:
Every shift is tough?

If the tranny is at all similar to ours then going into 1st and then into 2nd should be a pain. Wait a while, see if that changes. If not, then maybe some different tranny fluid?

If the problem hasn't resolved around 3k-4k miles, let us know again. Or better yet, contact your service dept. Sometimes the clutch during the wear in period isn't broken in right. People who might have taken the car out for a test could have romped on it. It's not abnormal, just keep shifting smooth. And if it resists you, use that moderate force to push it into gear. That will help it break in, as you will be wearing out what ever is keeping it from sliding into gear in the first place.

my 02 pro was a b**** to get into 1st, 2nd, and reverse. the 3 hasnt given me much trouble yet. sometimes it doesnt like 1st, but if you just wiggle it a little it pops right in. most of the time it does it to me is from a dead stop tho.

My first couple thousand miles I couldn't get into first if I was rolling at all. Over time though it will shape up nicely.

On the P5, reverse is always tough...I don't know about the 3. Just make sure your foot isn't too hard on the brake and let the car roll a little to get it to slip in. Sometimes I have to nudge the car forward in first a few inches then try reverse again.

Thanks

I'll keep that all in mind. I realized too. When I bought it, it only had 1 (yes 1) mile on it. The sales guy joked around it NEVER being out of 2nd gear. So the "break in period" that you guys suggested may be whats up. I'll keep tabs on it, and write again it is persists over 2K. Thanks all!! I'm sure I'll have more questions as time passes.

Back