oil consumption during break in

I've got 2500 miles on my 3 S now and have had to add oil now twice. I've only had to add about an eighth of a quart each time to bring it up too the full mark but it still kind of freaks me out. Is this normal?

Bill

umm..I think you should call up your dealer, never heard of oil burning during the break in period plus the break in period is 500 miles read your manual.

mmmm seems like a little much to me, you probly have a really slow leak, have you had your oil changed yet? if you havn't you need to now, and if you have its possibly the oil pan nut or the filter

willy65000 said:
I've got 2500 miles on my 3 S now and have had to add oil now twice. I've only had to add about an eighth of a quart each time to bring it up too the full mark but it still kind of freaks me out. Is this normal?

Bill

If the oil is between the two marks on the dipstick, your OK. As long as the oil stays above the lower mark your not going to do any damage to the motor. If you were using a quart or more between oils changes, then I'd think there was a problem.

Do not go to your dealer about using 1/4 of a quart over 2500 miles, there is nothing wrong with your car.

I agree, a quart between changes is considered normal for almost all manufacturers. You should ask your dealer if you feel there is a problem but I wouldn't be concerned over adding 1/4 quart in the first 2500 miles. (wrc)

Consumption of oil in variable valve engines is normal in Honda engines. The more you get into the agressive cam, oil seems to burn. This is especially aparent in the breakin period. Of course, I understand you don't drive a Honda but I believe that unless the consumption of oil is ridiculous and the engine shows no show of taking a diet, everything should be ok

yes on breakin it wil consume a lil bit......when you topped off the oil was the car driven hard(like it was stolen) prior to your dipstick check? if so you might be adding oil when it might be still in the head. we had a few guys do that and the oil was an inch past the full line on dipstick when the car finally sat long enough for the head to drain. but if not then yeah get it checked.

Hoeboe2k said:
Consumption of oil in variable valve engines is normal in Honda engines. The more you get into the agressive cam, oil seems to burn. This is especially aparent in the breakin period. Of course, I understand you don't drive a Honda but I believe that unless the consumption of oil is ridiculous and the engine shows no show of taking a diet, everything should be ok

The Vtec Honda I just sold with almost 180k on it didn't burn this much oil. It the ten years I drove the car i probably added a total of two quarts of oil. I'm hoping it's just a break in thing.

Da 6 said:
yes on breakin it wil consume a lil bit......when you topped off the oil was the car driven hard(like it was stolen) prior to your dipstick check? if so you might be adding oil when it might be still in the head. we had a few guys do that and the oil was an inch past the full line on dipstick when the car finally sat long enough for the head to drain. but if not then yeah get it checked.

The first time I noticed this problem the car had been sitting for a couple of hours. I then did as the manual suggests and brought it up to operating temp, shut it off and waited five minutes. The dipstick still read the same.

Back