VTCS, VLIM/VIS, VAD, VVT, variance...

PeteyBoy3K

:
'04 Mazda3 5d, Titanium Gray
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=33

That's a link posted here earlier that describes all of the induction technologies employed on the 2.3 liter mazda engine in the mazda 6

It seems that in my 3s wagon I have VVT (variable valve timing), VTCS(variable tumble control system), and VLIM/VIS (variable length intake manifold/Variable Intake System (as mazda calls it)). It seems the 3 doesn't have a VAD (variable intake duct) which basically is a switched, loud, second intake that clicks on at a certain RPM.... those are only on the mazda 6... instead, I have an intake muffler in the wheel well combined with the VLIM that lots of people like to take off in favor of a Cold air intake.

but yea, as far as I can tell, I have a power/time line

as I rev:
at 3750, VTCS (variable tumble control system) clicks off, meaning that the small butterfly valve right before the intake chamber stops restricting airflow to make the air more turbulent and mix with fuel better. Mazda says this is for emissions and not torque.
at 4500 RPM, the VLIM (variable length intake manifold) adjusts a valve inside the manifold to maintain hemholtz resonance, and the VVT (variable valve timing) adjusts adjusts oil pressure in the intake camshaft cog... advancing the timing. Thus the timing and intake manifold length are now optimized for the higher RPM.

Thus, my general gleaning... is that this is a system that involves more parts, but not as effective (or expensive) as honda's VTEC ... which instead of using a VVT actuator on the intake cam to increase or decrease the timing... just has a camshaft that can be shifted left or right by a servo to change the cam profile (thus, actually adjusting the valve lifts in addition to timing timing). Toyota's VVT-i also uses seems special camshaft but I don't know as much about how it works.

Mazda opted to use the more sane VVT actuator in combination with VTCS to have the same effect that the variable valve lift of VTEC gives.. but the torque band is really only shifted and not as broadened as they are in VTEC engines.

But yea, finally found something describing mazda's system, squee!

Is this pretty accurate? one of the things I'm not sure about are the differences between the 6 and the 3. It seems like in the 3, there is some "box" in the wheel well that acts as the VLIM and an intake muffler (which most people talk about removing for more horsepower). It also seems like the 3 doesn't have the VAD on the airbox.

There's no way that the resonator in the fender can act at a VLIM. It is only one set length with no valves/shutters/plates to change the length of the run.
Usually VLIM (or IMRC if it's a Ford) it on the opposite side of the throttle body from the air filter.

And yes, VTCS is designed for emissions but anything that gets more air into the combustion chamber has to be good!

VAD...thats a flap on the 6 airbox that opens when VVT is activated for flow and sound. When installing a cai the sensor for the vad is disconnected and ziptied out of the way....doesn't send cels but sends pending codes. The resonator on the 6 was waaaaaaay more restrictive that the 3:( outlet was like 58-60mm but inlet was like 7-8mm!!! The resonator is designed to quiet the engine down....many choose to beleve otherwise but what does the term "Resonator" mean? when you have that down pat...then we will move on. Removing the resonator will not give you mad HP...just free up your air flow a lil bit and give you a sound rewayd when you drop the vtcs. Other than that its the same "MZR" 2.3 VVT(S-VT) engine platform. VTCS is nice. People beleve that you loose a assload of torque when you remove the resonator or install a cai...you don't loose it....you move it farther up the rpm. With VTCS you don't move it too much since it is a intended restriction of airflow. the most you do is let a tad bit more air in so it's not as much of a restriction. and the air is spinning at an even faster rate helping you with the original intent of the valve. With a cai you can tell when it disengages from the tone of the intake. Its like (grrrrrrrrrrRRRRR'B'AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH) 'B'=Vilm and vtcs change forms causing a 7psi spike into the combustion chamber....refered to as the "Supercharger Effect". if you don't beleve me those who havn't reved that far try it...just floor it to like 5500 if you don't wanna go all the way up to 6500...either way wou will feel the car slightly jerk(Not Violent but more of a WOW) forward once it hits close to 4000. you guys can also use that site for how-to for the 3s 6i aplications that involve engine mods. not shure how the atx tranny lines are so the cooler is still in the unknown till someone in the 3s does it.

the long second gear pull

Ok, so the VLIM is actually in the resin/plastic intake manifold, and will still be there if one removes the resonator box and installs a CAI (not that I want one, I'm just trying to clear up where all of these magic valves and widgets are in my car!). Thus, the resonator box is really just a muffler on the intake that serves a pleasant side effect of smoothing out the power band and moving more torque towards lower RPM's

I agree with (I think it was) the Edmunds car reviewer who thought that second gear was the best gear in this car.

On my way to work there is this 10-15 degree hill that you have to climb up after taking a right... it's the perfect place to just lay on half throttle and find how smooth the power-band is.

There isn't a jerk anywhere in acceleration, but instead a gradual increase in pull up the hill that starts at 4000 and becomes really apparent at around 4500. At this point, I sometimes worry about how much gas I am losing doing a 1/2-3/4 throttle yank up a hill, but it usually goes away as I realize that I am passing all the people that haven't yet hit the speed limit because of the hill. :-D

The mazda 3 also a lot less cantankerous than my 99.5 2.0L Golf was, which would start feeling like it was at a tractor pull (just straining way to hard to make it up this silly slight incline at a decent clip). The only jerkiness I ever felt in the mazda 3 was when I dropped into 3rd gear at around 70 MPH to pass some silly person... and that was more of a yank! :-D

Speaking of silly person... it was some lady in a Sebring who started slowing down... in the left lane... on a downhill... thus I was coasting but still went from about 5 car lengths to 1.5... not to mention I was expecting the Sebring to pull back into the right lane because she was slower traffic and there was plenty of room. Apparently she got really upset that I was creeping up towards their bumper (I try my best not to use brakes on the highway... it tends to cause lots of accordioning up the line...). I see a finger... and then brake lights... Thus, instead of finding out whose brakes and reflexes were better... I just whipped into the right lane, pushed into third, and slammed the gas... my theory being that the farthest away I get from this horrible driver the better. (Anyone who slams on brakes on the highway for no better reason than to make a point is a horrible driver... and probably a horrible person too)

I think that was the first and only time I hit the rev limiter (2thumbs)

yay segues

PeteyBoy3K said:
Ok, so the VLIM is actually in the resin/plastic intake manifold, and will still be there if one removes the resonator box and installs a CAI (not that I want one, I'm just trying to clear up where all of these magic valves and widgets are in my car!). Thus, the resonator box is really just a muffler on the intake that serves a pleasant side effect of smoothing out the power band and moving more torque towards lower RPM's

I agree with (I think it was) the Edmunds car reviewer who thought that second gear was the best gear in this car.

On my way to work there is this 10-15 degree hill that you have to climb up after taking a right... it's the perfect place to just lay on half throttle and find how smooth the power-band is.

There isn't a jerk anywhere in acceleration, but instead a gradual increase in pull up the hill that starts at 4000 and becomes really apparent at around 4500. At this point, I sometimes worry about how much gas I am losing doing a 1/2-3/4 throttle yank up a hill, but it usually goes away as I realize that I am passing all the people that haven't yet hit the speed limit because of the hill. :-D

The mazda 3 also a lot less cantankerous than my 99.5 2.0L Golf was, which would start feeling like it was at a tractor pull (just straining way to hard to make it up this silly slight incline at a decent clip). The only jerkiness I ever felt in the mazda 3 was when I dropped into 3rd gear at around 70 MPH to pass some silly person... and that was more of a yank! :-D

Speaking of silly person... it was some lady in a Sebring who started slowing down... in the left lane... on a downhill... thus I was coasting but still went from about 5 car lengths to 1.5... not to mention I was expecting the Sebring to pull back into the right lane because she was slower traffic and there was plenty of room. Apparently she got really upset that I was creeping up towards their bumper (I try my best not to use brakes on the highway... it tends to cause lots of accordioning up the line...). I see a finger... and then brake lights... Thus, instead of finding out whose brakes and reflexes were better... I just whipped into the right lane, pushed into third, and slammed the gas... my theory being that the farthest away I get from this horrible driver the better. (Anyone who slams on brakes on the highway for no better reason than to make a point is a horrible driver... and probably a horrible person too)

I think that was the first and only time I hit the rev limiter (2thumbs)

yay segues
yes but with the cai it's inbetwen tug and mild gradual tug....I like the engine alot even for a I4. the vtcs is located in the intake mani on other side of the tb not the air box or resonator...the vad is a 6 only aplication....and as for the limiter.....I found it on the testdrive of the 3s....7200 is the exact limiter in manual mode(sssh) also found out if you try and shift at 7000 it will not shift in time and hit the limiter in 2nd gear... Before you say anything I do have a tranny cooler, I'm waiting for inline tranny filter before installing it since the filter on our 6i trany is non servicable....

Back