Oil Filter Problems ? ? ?

1Fast3S

Just curious...has ANY one else had problems with finding a Oil Filter replacement ? or has everyone just gone to mazda to get your oil changed.....

No one seems to seel the damn thing ANY where , not even FRAM (dunno)

Nobody makes an aftermarket cartridge filter yet but it's not that expensive from the dealer. The real kicker is the price of the o-rings.

For about $40, you can swap over to a spin-on style and use the 3i filter.

rodslinger said:
I ordered mine from this place. I went ahead and bought several to get free shipping.

http://catalog.thepartsbin.com/

Are those Mazda factory filters?

Good price except that they are actually charging a premium price (higher than list) and you have to order 7 of them to get free shipping.

Last edited:
goldwing2000 said:
Are those Mazda factory filters?
They appear to be aftermarket. Made it Thailand according to the box. But the element looks exactly the same as the OEM filter that came out. Even down to the mold markings on the filter ends.

I don't mind ordering several at a time. I always keep my garage stocked with maintenance items. I already have spark plugs and a few air filters and other misc materials also. It's easier to have everything here than try to gather it up the weekend you decide to do maintenance.

rodslinger said:
They appear to be aftermarket. Made it Thailand according to the box.
(boom02) iduno on the quality of those cartriges....and O-rings were with them right?

rodslinger said:
I don't mind ordering several at a time. I always keep my garage stocked with maintenance items.
good point

rodslinger said:
I already have spark plugs and a few air filters and other misc materials also. It's easier to have everything here than try to gather it up the weekend you decide to do maintenance.
tell me the pannel filter is K&N at least...J/K wish I had the rom for stock parts pulled fof the car let alone extra for future maitnence...

Yeah, i ordered the replacement filter and O-ring along with it also, iwas just wondering, i was kinda sketchy when they didnt sell a reg. spin on filter....kinda wierd....

Any one know why mazda chose to use a cartridge on the 2.3 and a spin on on the 2.0? I'm just worried that if I switch to the spin on it may not flow as much.

Some say it's because of the Green bunch. I think it's because it filters better. A lot of high end cars are going to the cartridge filter. I first noticed them on the first Acuras in the 80's. Back in the old days, before the late 50's all filters were cartridge filters.

did my oil change today (0W-20)! I didn't find the cartridge too hard to figure out....now the techs at the DIY shop did....reason I say you are better off doing it yourself if you don't let dealers do it. make shure you get both(2..one big one small) o-rings cause parts didn't know it existed till I said it did!!!...one for cartridge itself and drain plug on bottom of cartridge. the old filer element was spiraled as if there was some serious flow going thru it...with the cartridge I only got 1 drop of oil on my shoe....I wanted to get the spin off but don't see a real point in it....if you wish to convert over...http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=35

If you choose to be like me and baffle everyone who is an "Expert" at changing oil then this is the link....http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=35
(HINT....bookmark and/or print this out for later date)
If you do spin on conversion you can follow the link above but skip the cartrige procedures...as for the bolts...goldwing mentioned them in another post for the splash guard.

For those who noticed thats not a 3 in the how-to....good attetion to detail....same engine same cartridge filter and parts.

also just to add on........get dish wahing gloves(IE. thick rubber gloves) cause I decided not to wait till the engine cooled and the oil was real hot and sticks to whatever it touches. I used the gloves and wasn't burned as bad as I could have been.

Latest posts

Back