First Car- Rx-7

Mmmm RX-7, I would drive the hell out of it! Make sure all your fluids are good. Otherwise i dont know, enjoy that thing though!

viciouswatson said:
i mean to make it faster! lol
Ooo ooo! Do some mods. I heard mods make it go faster. I think...

(weakest) sorry I'm not much help - I drive a p5. Don't know s*** about the rx-7! Have fun tho! (yes)

I have heard that racing beat is one of the best places to get stuff for rx-7s. They make alot of parts for miatas and some for proteges, so I would think that they seem to know quite a bit about mazda in general and wouldnt steer you wrong.

viciouswatson said:
i was looking at Holley intake systems on racingbeat.com... does anyone know if those are any good?[/QUOTE
You can make good power out of the stock carb, I would get a header first then exhaust then a intake, start off with the small stufff first. The holley is better with a street ported motor.
here is some pics of my bro's set up with the holley and 100 shot of nos

Attachments

• p5 and 1st gen 023.jpg
    p5 and 1st gen 023.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 690
  • p5 and 1st gen 025.jpg
    p5 and 1st gen 025.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 670
Make sure to learn all you can. They are fascinating engines! :)

I have a black 1st gen RX-7 we are doing a turboII swap on. :D

ah, reminds me of my first car... it was a 83 RX7 gs.

definately do a full tune up first (as stated in previous posts).
First places to work on are your carb and exhaust (header & catback).

in many states the older models such as yours are emissions exempt, so look into that! if you can go catless and get away with it; do it!

get yourself a new set of wheels that will support a tire with lower and stiffer sidewall (dont be excessive, a set of 15's or 16's will be sufficient), and put some good rubber on them!

if this is your first car, remember that it is EXTREMELY light and prone to oversteer (especially in the winter and in the rain). like i said, it was my first car and i made PLENTY of stupid mistakes with it (read: spun out and slammed into a guardrail on an exit ramp at about 50 mph).

go to some autox events, learn the limits of your car and have some fun!

yeah, i've heard the best mod to make the most power is to get the holley carb set up, but definately get it street ported. i've got an 88, and i'm loving it. although i don't want to compromise it's reliability, so i don't have plans to modify it.

unfortunately, it is not emissions exempt here in WA. i bought the records on the car and it appears that one of the previous owners tried to do the same thing but couldn't get away with it. The last person who owned it got a pretty nice carb., so i don't even need to worry about that for now. It think I'm gonna get the headers, the exhaust, and then save up for the TII swap.

Alright, I've been working with 1st gens for a few years now, let me share a few words.

First, carburator: PAUL YAW! He modifies the stock carburator and is the best in the business. http://www.yawpower.com/

Second, exhaust: Can you get away with a high-flow cat? If so, get rid of the stock CRAP. You have 2 precats and a main cat. They're heavy and EXTREMELY restrictive, as is the stock header. Get rid of them if you can. Note: Heat shields hide exhausts very well(wink wink). www.racingbeat.com

Third, suspension: Wheels and tires are subjective. If you can, get a set of 1983 Special Edition 14" rims. Still light, but 14"(more choises). Honestly, tires are the best suspension mod there is UNLESS your stock suspension is warn out. If you need to, replace the stock springs with Racing Beat and shocks with Tokico blue's or Illumina's(depending on budget).

Fourth, lightweight flywheel and clutch: You'd be AMAZED how fast your car will rev. Guess what? You have an '85 which means you have the lightest rotors Mazda ever made until the RX8. It'll be a bit of a b**** to drive on the street(rev higher, slip clutch more), but its a whole lot more fun to drive.

Fifth, porting: An agressive street port, or even a mild street port, will increase power by a lot...especially with the Yaw carb.

One more thing: What model is the car? If its an S or GS, you'll want to look for a rear-end from a GSL. Limited slip and disc brakes are on those, and make the car a lot better.

Back