Mazda3 and Factory DVD Navigation System

blackdubs

I'm quite interested in getting my hands on a 3. My question is with regards to the factory DVD navigation system. Since my job requires a significant amount of driving (often in areas I am very unfamiliar with), I am interested in getting one. however, for those who have one, I do have a couple of questions:

1) How does the systems perform?
2) Is it easy to program?
3) Any cons?

Also if anyone knows of any links to reviews of the navigational system that would be great. Anyone know of any pictures of the system in a Mazda3?

Thanks,

dubs

I don't have the Mazda one but I have played around with GPS systems before and I have a handheld unit that I got just for fun. My take on GPS is it can be helpful at times but you can't rely on it in all situations. The places you can loose a signal seem like some of the most likely places you can get lost -- city streets among skyscrapers or in a overgrown forested area with really tall trees. I'd be interested in knowing how people like the Mazda system as well as other GPS systems geared towards cars and driving too so thanks for posting this. I'm particularly interested in how quickly it aquires a signal and how well it holds it.

Tonys3 said:
Buy the portable one that Best Buy Sells and save your self 1300$

Better yet go to REI. Even if it's slightly more than Best Buy they have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee there. So if you change your mind or if a better model comes out that you want you can take it back and getting something else. For a techno trinket you can't beat that.. That's what I did.

ive got one in my car and i dont have any complaints. and it doesnt loose signal that much either, i drove to canada through the tunnel (under the detroit river) and it stayed with me the whole way. also driving in downtown detroit around all the tall buildings i never noticed it loosing signal.

blackdubs said:
It seems as if nobody recommends the system. Is it because of a lack in quality or the cost? (or both?)

The cost kept me from seriously considering it. When it comes to gadgets like this I figure there is a decent chance that it will be to some degree obsolete by the time I pay off the car in 3 years, but at the same time I can see the how people could enjoy having this option.

I'm glad the 3 has this option though cause I'd like to get just the flip up screen part someday maybe. It would be a fun project to build up a small pc based off a mini-itx mobo for the glovebox. There's a lot you could do with that for even less money.

blackdubs said:
It seems as if nobody recommends the system. Is it because of a lack in quality or the cost? (or both?)
its just becasue we are haters (no) /........lol

mazda3zoom said:
ive got one in my car and i dont have any complaints. and it doesnt loose signal that much either, i drove to canada through the tunnel (under the detroit river) and it stayed with me the whole way. also driving in downtown detroit around all the tall buildings i never noticed it loosing signal.

Cool, that's good to hear. How quickly does it aquire a signal when you start up the car? I know for my handheld it can take a minute to get a signal if I've had it turned off, and it can acquire the signal faster if I'm sitting still than if I'm moving. I really don't mind waiting but if my gf is with me she tries to hurry me along it's kinda funny.

dulog said:
Cool, that's good to hear. How quickly does it aquire a signal when you start up the car? I know for my handheld it can take a minute to get a signal if I've had it turned off, and it can acquire the signal faster if I'm sitting still than if I'm moving. I really don't mind waiting but if my gf is with me she tries to hurry me along it's kinda funny.

signal is aquired in a few seconds of the system starting up.

the GPS system/hardware is pritty much set and there isnt much upgrading planned, and the OS and maps are updatable via getting a new DVD from mazda. (around 50$ if i remember correctly).

The tracking is really good because it uses multiple GPS readings to find your location and it's resonably accurate. you do however have to drive for a few minuets for it to get really accurate, so when you just turn it on and your in a major urban area, the computer may be a little confused while its truely trying to pinpoint you, but that happens with all recevers. (the GPS signal from the satalites have a random built in error of about 15-20 meters to prevent non military users to get exact coordinates that the military are privy to.)

the GPS is also a little confused when you are on a highway that has a 'car only' and 'cars and truck lanes'. (due to the error it cant really tell which lanes you are useing). with those lanes you have to ignore the left/right commands and follow the exit names/numbers. its not that big of a deal tho.

Do not get me wrong, the system is EXCELLENT, just has a few quirks that may be annoying to some, but these quirks are inherent to all GPS systems and there isnt anything you can do about it.

blackdubs said:
I'm quite interested in getting my hands on a 3. My question is with regards to the factory DVD navigation system. Since my job requires a significant amount of driving (often in areas I am very unfamiliar with), I am interested in getting one. however, for those who have one, I do have a couple of questions:

3) Any cons?

Also if anyone knows of any links to reviews of the navigational system that would be great. Anyone know of any pictures of the system in a Mazda3?

Thanks,

dubs
I have the factory NAV and have found it useful. It works very well and is easy to use. There are a lot of viewing options and the ability for the system to auto-reroute if you miss a turn or request detour if your route is going slow is nice. The points of interest lookup is nice to use. I was caught in the middle of nowhere and needed gas, it was able to direct me to the closest station. Being incorporated into the vehicle is good also as you can close the screen and follow using the voice prompts played through the sound system. I personally found it worth the premium over a portable system as it is integrated and cleaner looking that junk stuck on the dash with suction cups and cords running around. I also wouldn't consider it a wasted investment as any options purchased typically provide a better return when it comes time to sell the car.

up-to-dateness

From a friend who got one in atlanta... I heard that the disc they shipped with was really out of date, and there were no updates for it yet... thus all the new sub developments and streets and such were not in the map

otherwise, that is what new discs are for, I'm sure you wouldn't be hard pressed to wait more than a 1/2 year for a new one. and it seems like it would be a blessing when you go on road trips

has anyone bought a the factory system for their mazda3 AFTERthe fact? I was told by my mazda dealer its not an "afterthought addon option" the car has to be build with the factory unit. I've however found a few people selling used ones...most coming with the screen/vent unit, DVD Rom and Remote control device that sits in the center console. I guess the reason i ask this question is this: is the GPS locater unit that transmits your location (not sure if that's what its called) inside the rom drive or the screen unit itself? I wondered if that was why they said its not available as an afterthought option. Any help from fellow mazda fans is WELCOMED! Also curious about hearing people say they are putting mini computers in their cars....anyone have details on how one would do this and/or what is entailed as far as making a system that would have gps capabilities.

3) Any cons?

I just bought my mazda 3 in september it is an '08 model, and it came with the dvd navigation system. I personally do not like it. it is easy to use but annoying. It will not let you use it while driving even when i have a passenger with me. so i have to be completely stopped to do it and sometimes trying to do it at a red light is not long enough. In my previous car I had bought a gps unit from best buy. It had great features, it allowed me to switch to turn list whenever i wanted to, it showed me how many miles i was from home and other saved places (worthless facts but sometimes fun to know), and the best feature was point of interest where when times when i was low on gas i needed to find a quick gas station and i would do it but in the mazda gps you cannot do any of that unless you are at a complete stop even when you need to find a gas station. since it is a dvd navigation system I am currently looking to switch out the dvd navigation to another dvd navigation system. That is how i found this forum.

I recommend saving thousands of dollars and not buy it from mazda but by it at best buy or even ebay and/or craigslist.

Back