Mazda 3 audio inputs

thebern

What inputs are on the back on the Mazda 3 radio?
Can I add a 3rd party MP3 player where the factory
MP3 or tape player would go?

I'm not as up to date as I should be about the Mazda3 but to my knowledge the only thing that can be interfaced as of yet is the factory MP3 and tape players. I don't bel;ieve anything aftermarket exists yet.

You'd have the best luck searching in the car audio section.

There aren't any AUX inputs on the back of the radio. There are a couple of "hacks" floating around the internet that will allow you to attach your mp3 player though.

bluntman said:
There aren't any AUX inputs on the back of the radio. There are a couple of "hacks" floating around the internet that will allow you to attach your mp3 player though.

could you please tell me where the "hacks" are or what they are.

thanks

bucky43 said:
could you please tell me where the "hacks" are or what they are.

thanks

Well, here's one, and here's another one. Eventhough the walkthroughs are for an RX-8, the HUs are virtually identical.

Here's a bonus one for you. This uses and FM modulator in a Mazda3. The only thing I don't like about this is that you have to wire in a switch to turn the modulator on or off.

Last edited:
bluntman said:
Well, here's one, and here's another one. Eventhough the walkthroughs are for an RX-8, the HUs are virtually identical.

Here's a bonus one for you. This uses and FM modulator in a Mazda3. The only thing I don't like about this is that you have to wire in a switch to turn the modulator on or off.

Thanks! I am gonna look into trying hack number 2. Though my solder
skills probably are not that good.

I used the kenwood fm Modulator for my music keg. I also noticed Best buy sells some kind of fm modulator for generic use and a specific one for the Ipod.

Don't know how well they work though.

Krs

krstofer said:
I used the kenwood fm Modulator for my music keg. I also noticed Best buy sells some kind of fm modulator for generic use and a specific one for the Ipod.

Krs

A couple of people tried both methods and found that with the 'hacks' they enjoyed a much better quality of sound. But it is slightly more involved than the FM modulators... I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with that kind of thing. It looked pretty basic, and a good starter project for anyone wanting to tinker with their 3's electronics.

~Bart~

audio upgrades

krstofer said:

Krs

as far as I can tell, inlinemod w/o cassette player > cassette adaptor > inlinemod w/cassette player (splits signals) > Stereo FM modulator > Monaural FM modulator

the Griffin iTrip, while inscrutably super cute (like most everything apple makes *hugs 12" powerbook*) has fuzzy audio quality and is only monaural. I think the easiest thing happens to be the cassette adaptor, especially if you have a cassette player.

Well I hooked up the fm modulator and I have static. I didn't ground it yet so I am hoping that it fixes the problem. The static disipates the louder the volume, but it never disappears. I am considering hooking up my kenwood HU in the glove box and mounting an IR repeater in the dash. Depends how desperate I get to have good quality audio. :(

Line-In Solution

I have a new 05 Mazda 3 on the way in Sept, and had hoped it would have a line-in or a AUX connection in the stereo so that I could plug in my MP3 player. I had hoped, because so many 3 buyers are on the younger side and younger people are generally more tech savvy, that Mazda would see the value in adding a MP3 player line-in right away (and because Nissan offers this in the Sentra). This didn't happen and it doesn't sound like the 05's have this feature either. So I have been looking for a way around this problem.

FM modulators were invented for this exact reason. However they require a power source and don't have the best sound quality (ground loop issues, etc.). Anyways after some more digging I was able to find a solution: http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8831

This PIE solution uses to components:

1- MAZ/PC-ALP ( http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=445 ): This device is a protocol convertor (originally designed to allow you to hook a Alpine CD changer up to the stock Mazda radio) and connects to the back of the radio and "translates" the electronic signals from the "language" of the mazda radio to the "language" of Alpine. It gives you an m-bus connection with the Alpine "language".

2- ALP/M-RCA ( http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=124 ): This attaches to the m-bus connection above and gives you standard RCA input jacks.

All you have to do is get these 2 components and hook them up to the stock radio and then hook in your iPod (or any other music player, laptop, DVD player) and hit the CD button twice and then you have sound. Lots of people have had luck with this solution. Only problem seems to be if your car has a NAV screen (not going to be much of a problem for Canadians).

According to what I have found this will work for the 3, RX8, 03-04 Protg, 03-04 Tribute, 03-04 Miata, 02-04 MPV, 03-04 B-Series. I'm assuming that it will work for all these models in the 05's unless Mazda makes big changes to the radio.

I hope this works. Let us know how it goes. I would love to get rid of the FM modulator. I am also looking to add an auxillary head phone jack in the car for audio input from my archos media player.

Krs

zoom-zoom2 said:
I have a new 05 Mazda 3 on the way in Sept, and had hoped it would have a line-in or a AUX connection in the stereo so that I could plug in my MP3 player. I had hoped, because so many 3 buyers are on the younger side and younger people are generally more tech savvy, that Mazda would see the value in adding a MP3 player line-in right away (and because Nissan offers this in the Sentra). This didn't happen and it doesn't sound like the 05's have this feature either. So I have been looking for a way around this problem.

They are probably not going to offer this feature, as they sell their own MP3 player as an option. They would be cutting their sales of the MP3 module if they offered a line-in option.

bvmazda3 said:
They are probably not going to offer this feature, as they sell their own MP3 player as an option. They would be cutting their sales of the MP3 module if they offered a line-in option.

ding ding ding we have a winner lol

besides, all you young savy tech guys should go aftermarket stereo anyway ;)

About the PIE method:

I was going to install a PIE adapter in my family van (a Honda) and a lot of those users have complained about interference caused by the alternator, especially when an MP3 player is powered by the car's power outlet (which I often do--darn MP3 batteries never last as long as promised). They suggest either using a ground wire (which the PIE for that model has) or a device from Radio Shack.

The van will be a "guinea pig" install before I do it on my M3i. However, I am concerned that the same issues will arise with the Mazda. This time, however, there is no ground wire with that Alpine PIE adapter and the Radio Shack part would be harder to install as well due to different ports on the adapter.

Anyone have similar issues with the Mazdas as far as noise interference and how did you fix it?

zoom-zoom2 said:
According to what I have found this will work for the 3, RX8, 03-04 Protg, 03-04 Tribute, 03-04 Miata, 02-04 MPV, 03-04 B-Series. I'm assuming that it will work for all these models in the 05's unless Mazda makes big changes to the radio.
So this will work even if you already have the in-dash 6-disc?

Cool. So one last question. With the Alpine adapter, which input am I switching to to hear my mp3 player? Preference would be the MD/Tape button.

Press the CD button twice (once the PIE module is installed) will display an EX 1 on the LCD screen.

Back