Need power!!

loriderroo

:
04 Mazda 3 GT
undefined
Had my 3 for about a month now and would love to make it fly. AEM hasn't released its intake in Canada yet and can't find an exhaust to save my life. I need the whole system I'm not interested in hack jobs. Any info you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks (dunno)

mp5jeff said:
gona take alot more then intake/exhaust to make that car fast =)
Oh I agree it will take much more but I need to start somewhere. Thanks for the info... any new stuff please pass along. Thanks Roo (thumb)

yea starting somewhere usually begins with intake/exhaust, do it right the 1st time though so you won't have to re-do it later. If you can, find a shop that mandrel bends, and get exhaust there...you probably only need 2.25 inch piping(go catless, its fun!)

mp5jeff said:
yea starting somewhere usually begins with intake/exhaust, do it right the 1st time though so you won't have to re-do it later. If you can, find a shop that mandrel bends, and get exhaust there...you probably only need 2.25 inch piping(go catless, its fun!)
I hear that I've done my last two cars and cut some corners which only came back to bite me in the end. This time all perfect or not at all. There is guy in T.O. that does all custom work for exhausts I think its time to pay him a visit. Have you heard anything about turbo kits for the 2.3 anytime soon.

hey loriderroo, what guy in TO do you know that does exhausts? maybe if we get him to bend 2 sets we could get a deal going!!! I've got an orange 3 sport, and I'd be up for a new exhaust. what kind of muffler do you plan on installing? I want power, but I want it quiet (why is that all too often exclusive?)

loriderroo said:
I hear that I've done my last two cars and cut some corners which only came back to bite me in the end. This time all perfect or not at all. There is guy in T.O. that does all custom work for exhausts I think its time to pay him a visit. Have you heard anything about turbo kits for the 2.3 anytime soon.

HiBoost was working for a 6i kit. It should work for 3s

yeah but if it's not in canada, preferably in the southern ontario region (or the states near the border) then it's too far away for me

Airman Jack said:
yeah but if it's not in canada, preferably in the southern ontario region (or the states near the border) then it's too far away for me
There is a guy who works for Zorro muffler that does all custom piping right down to one of a kinds. He is supposed to be one of the better guys. He did an exhaust for my CRX a few years back and it kicked but. As far as mufflers go I'm not sure what will look and sound best. I'm not into a loud raspy sound, I like tuned and throaty. Some others have gone with the Magna Flow but I don't know enough about them to use their product. I would also like to be original if possible. We should contact Zorro and see if this guy can do a set for both our cars. If so I'm in.

are you planning on taking out the 2nd cat? I've read on other posts here that it improves engine breathing somewhat and does not trigger any check engine lights... I'm going to get my oil changed at the dealership next tuesday so I'll ask them about the cat... and I've heard good things as well about the magnaflow mufflers on the 3's. I'll be gone for june and july but I will still have net access and hopefully we can get something hooked up for late august maybe? Oh yeah, do you have the sedan? and would the piping runs be identical for the sedan and the Sport? (*crosses fingers*)

Go to Magnaflows website. They are working on a cat-back for the 3. You can actually see a video and hear the exhaust for yourself. Call them and see when they expect it to be released to the public.

Airman Jack said:
are you planning on taking out the 2nd cat? I've read on other posts here that it improves engine breathing somewhat and does not trigger any check engine lights... I'm going to get my oil changed at the dealership next tuesday so I'll ask them about the cat... and I've heard good things as well about the magnaflow mufflers on the 3's. I'll be gone for june and july but I will still have net access and hopefully we can get something hooked up for late august maybe? Oh yeah, do you have the sedan? and would the piping runs be identical for the sedan and the Sport? (*crosses fingers*)
I'm not sure about the 2nd cat idea yet...let me know what your dealership says about taking it off. If it is all good then why not? I have the sedan and I think that the exhausts run the exact same (I hope as well). I was talking to another friend of mine and he said that if we cannot get someone to mendral bend a full exhaust we can get the pieces and have it welded together. I would still go to Zoro to get the welding done though. Keep in contact and I'll post any updates that I get.

Jeff, what makes you think that I & E won't do anything for the 3? The guys on Focaljet with the same 2.3L motor were getting low 14s with CAI, header, & full exhaust.

Apex has the AEM CAI (http://www.apexr1.com/mazda3.html) & check out the Magnaflow site like RHAGEL said. If you want to go further, an exhaust shop could probably do the piping to give you a full exhaust with a single hi-flow cat. After that, you just need someone to develop a header & you're set. (thumb)

Black Majik MSP said:
Jeff, what makes you think that I & E won't do anything for the 3? The guys on Focaljet with the same 2.3L motor were getting low 14s with CAI, header, & full exhaust.

Apex has the AEM CAI (http://www.apexr1.com/mazda3.html) & check out the Magnaflow site like RHAGEL said. If you want to go further, an exhaust shop could probably do the piping to give you a full exhaust with a single hi-flow cat. After that, you just need someone to develop a header & you're set. (thumb)
Thanks for the info... I'm not looking for an insane machine I had one already and I need some drivability plus the car is under warranty I don't want to blow that away. I'm going to use the AEM CAI as soon as we can get it in Canada and then check the magnaflow site for exhausts. If you hear anything more please pass it my way.

hey loriderroo, have you heard anything new from zoro for the exhaust? has anyone installed a muffler other than magnaflow on a 3?

Black Majik MSP said:

draxas sells the cai as well and mazda made a better head to squeeze a few more ponies so intake and exhaust is all thats needed for small sakes....2.3 already comes with a 4-2-1 manifold. if you get piping get stainless unless you wish to replace it after winter is over...

Airman Jack said:
hey loriderroo, have you heard anything new from zoro for the exhaust? has anyone installed a muffler other than magnaflow on a 3?
Hey Jack, I was at a T.O.P meet in Cambridge on Sunday and I talked to a guy that put an exhaust on his 3 and he used the magnaflow muffler and then used custom 2 1/4" piping from the muffler back to a tip. It sounded and looked good. Another guy had used a Vibrant muffler which he had installed without a tip on the back behind the lower control arms. I wasn't too impressed with that one. It seems if you are going to put the exhaust in after the control arms there is going to be a fair bit of trimming of the body work to make it fit and plus if you are going to lower it, it might pose a problem with clearence. I think I'm going to go with the vibrant muffler mounted halfway back and then run custom piping to the tip from there. I talked to the guys at Essential Speed in Cambridge and they said they could fabricate me one and there work that I have seen thus far looks to be good quality. I might have to be a bit of guiney pig. Let me know what you are thinking.

Back