define "limited edition"

:
07 F150 HD
One of the big selling points on the MS-P that got me to put down my deposit a month or so ago instead of buying a wrx or something along those lines, is its uniqueness. Without a substantial amount of work to their cars, chances are I would not see anyone else driving around in the same car as me. My car would stand out and cause double takes like the MP3s do. But more and more I see signs that this "limited edition" car will be produced over and over again. My dealer told me that he believes there will be a second color run in april os mazdaspeeds but no one has been able to confirm this. Now I was looking around on automobile magazine's site because I was told the MS-P got a write up in the latest issue and I find this quote "It might be a good idea to get your order in early; Mazda plans to limit first-year North American sales to a mere 2000 units." FIRST-YEAR.....doesnt really make it sound like a limited production, more like a regularly produced car in smaller numbers.

What does everyone think about this? Do those of you with a deposit on a MS-P find it discouraging to hear that there will be more cars like yours on the roads next year? what about you MP3 owners? If my MS-P is going to be as common as a civic SI then i might have to think about this a little longer..........

oh ya, the link

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/0206_mazda_protege/

Yeah, it sounds like they are limiting production of the first year to get really big hype on the car, and to see how big the demand is for the car....then they might mass produce....maybe....of course I don't work for Mazda so they might have a completely different game plan.

your posts title...DEFINE "LIMITED EDITION"....well simply put...its when a manufacturer KNOWS exactly how many units of a particular item its going to produce BEFORE it makes the first one....in the case of the MS-P....I don't even know if WE know the exact number yet....but needless to say Mazda tells us its going to be a limited production of this years car....regardless of the fact that they MAY OR MAY NOT make the car next year......the upcomming MS-P will be unique in that its the FIRST YEAR, and its of limited production....to a TRUE collector.....those are some things that are VERY desirable....first year, and the lower the production number, the better.

Just think about how many cars there are out there on the road and how many civics or any other regular production car is made in a single year....10's of thousands if not over 100K of any specific unit....you said it yourself....its unlikely that you will see anyone else driving a car just like yours.....it will be unique....and even if you do happen to see another one....they will be very few and far between.

Savor the knowledge that you will own one of a few thousand.....and not one of a few hundred thousand.....you will NOT be like every other kid on the block.

slug420...

when i firdt read your thread name, 'define Limited Edition'..i thought you wanted a definition of my name!...haha :D

Well, i'll add my input....
Mp3's were called a limited edition car as well and they made 2000 copies of them and they stopped. They kept their promise with only 2000 Mp3. After looking at different competitors they realized that the 140hp they had offered was below most real driving enhusist wanted. Compared with Ford's SVT - 170hp and Honda's SIR - 160hp etc... They thought that they could use a boost with the Protege's power. There we have it with a turbo 170hp.

IMO, i think this is really the last of it's 'Limited Production' Proteges....if they were to make another 'limited edition' car like the MS-P, they will either redesign it and call it something else...
If they plan on releasing more MS-P's than said, then there was no point in telling us, customers that this was a 'limited edition' car in the first place... :rolleyes:

I've been hearing rumours as well, that there will be another production run next spring.

Limited Edition:

There were only 1500 MP3's not 2000...just a note.

Hopefully they'll do what Acura did with the ITR (Integra Type R) and limit the production, but make limited quantities each year. I highly doubt this will happen, but who knows.

Limited...

C'mon guys how many Mp3 owners saw an other Mp3 besides them at a stop light. Not many I bet. At least not me. You rarely see one on the road. Not many Civic SI owners can say that. 1500 or 2000 per year is very limited. What Mazda will probably do is change the color every year like Chrysler did with the Prowler. The only thing that pisses me off is that the laser blue mica was suppose to be an exclusive color for the Mp3. Check out the Mazda usa web site and you'll see that the P5 will have that color available in 2003. :mad:
Are they gonna do the same thing with the orange the year after... :confused:

i dont think us orange MS-P buyers have that to worry about, no one seems to like this peachish spicy orange color so i cant imagine they would make it into a option for regular production cars

:D

Well, I've NEVER seen another MP3. As far as I know, I'm the only one :)

As for the orange. The only reason why the orange is going to sell this time is because it's on the MS.

Orange P5? Can't see anyone but the ricers wanting it.

Yeah. Even though I think the orange looks pretty nice, I don't see it as a color that many people will sort out for, especially on a regular production P5. When I was deciding to get either a MP3 or MS-P, the color/look is one of the main things I have to consider. The other is the price tag. :p End up compromising a little performance with a fatter wallet and better looking color & rims (IMHO) by settling on a used yellow MP3. :D

MPChi said:
Yeah. Even though I think the orange looks pretty nice, I don't see it as a color that many people will sort out for, especially on a regular production P5. When I was deciding to get either a MP3 or MS-P, the color/look is one of the main things I have to consider. The other is the price tag. :p End up compromising a little performance with a fatter wallet and better looking color & rims (IMHO) by settling on a used yellow MP3. :D

If you're going to buy a blue MP3 and paint it yellow, why don't you just buy the MS-P and paint that yellow?

No, no, no. odp, you misunderstood me. I didn't buy a blue MP3 and painted it yellow. I wouldn't do that. I bought a yellow one instead. But I have to ship it all the way from Massachusetts to California, which cost me quite a bit. But still it was a few grand cheaper that the MS-P. That's the only yellow one I could find in the States at the time I bought it, while a few blue ones were available in other states. And boy, am I so glad I spotted it before it was gone! :D

At a meeting we had with a Mazda rep last month that was confirmed to us that Mazda would be producing a second wave next spring of 3000 MSP in Yellow. Will see if that happens.

Raptor

Man, this is an OLD thread, but we now know that there were:

1750 '03's
2750 '03.5's

Rickman said:
Man, this is an OLD thread, but we now know that there were:

1750 '03's
2750 '03.5's

875 - Black
875 - Orange
875 - Yellow
875 - Titanium
500 - Silver
500 - Blue

I think that's right?

Too bad yor numbers dont add up slug420...I thought there was 1000 black and 750 orange for 03 in the lower states?
Matt

Back