Miata & Miata MX5

undefined

I have recently been looking for a pre-owned Miata for my son. Will someone please tell me the difference between a Miata and a Miata MX5?

Thanks.

Lynn

No difference.

The Miata is badged MX-5 Miata in the U.S. and Canada. In Europe, it's the Mazda MX-5. In Japan, it'sthe Mazda Roadster, and it used to be sold under Mazda's Eunos brand, as the Eunos Roadster.

The '04 Miatas in the U.S. are still called MX-5 Miatas, except for the factory turbo model which is the Mazdaspeed MX-5. Rumor has it that next year they will no longer be called Miatas here at all, and will all be MX-5's.

They're great cars, and they last forever. They're also reasonably safe. If your son is a new driver, make sure he has some training or experience driving a rear wheel drive car in the wet before you unleash him on the streets. I'd suggest having him autocross it on a rainy day. I learned more about RWD and skid control in one day of that than I did in years of driving.

Lynn,
I agree with foolish about the names. A Miata, MX-5 whatever, is generally an extremely reliable car, not to mention fun.

I also agree that any inexperinced driver should practice with the car to be able to use the car's capabilities to avoid an accident. The best and safest place to do that is at an autocross. Both of my children had to autocross for year after they got their driver's licenses. They have both become better drivers as a result. Eventially, I am sure they would have developed the same skills but autocrossing brings it out faster. Check out the sites in my signature and you can see the pictures.

Just my opinion.

Thank you so much for your response and excellent suggestion.

You have very nice cars.

Lynn

dolphin said:
Lynn,
I agree with foolish about the names. A Miata, MX-5 whatever, is generally an extremely reliable car, not to mention fun.

I also agree that any inexperinced driver should practice with the car to be able to use the car's capabilities to avoid an accident. The best and safest place to do that is at an autocross. Both of my children had to autocross for year after they got their driver's licenses. They have both become better drivers as a result. Eventially, I am sure they would have developed the same skills but autocrossing brings it out faster. Check out the sites in my signature and you can see the pictures.

Just my opinion.

Thank you so much for your reply and excellent suggestion. Another member thought to suggest the autocross, also. Sounds like an excellent suggestion.

Your cars are beautiful.

Lynn

Foolish said:
No difference.

The Miata is badged MX-5 Miata in the U.S. and Canada. In Europe, it's the Mazda MX-5. In Japan, it'sthe Mazda Roadster, and it used to be sold under Mazda's Eunos brand, as the Eunos Roadster.

The '04 Miatas in the U.S. are still called MX-5 Miatas, except for the factory turbo model which is the Mazdaspeed MX-5. Rumor has it that next year they will no longer be called Miatas here at all, and will all be MX-5's.

They're great cars, and they last forever. They're also reasonably safe. If your son is a new driver, make sure he has some training or experience driving a rear wheel drive car in the wet before you unleash him on the streets. I'd suggest having him autocross it on a rainy day. I learned more about RWD and skid control in one day of that than I did in years of driving.

Lynn,
Thank you. We enjoy them. The Mazda6S is my wife's car, the MP3 is mostly used by my daughter, the MX-6 is used mostly by my son and I time share the MSP and Miata. When one is in for service, they get shifted around.

Hopefully you will find a car that fits your needs. Let us know what you do. There are tons of nice and helpful people on here with a lot of knowledge.

Back