5040miles= CEL! 10th anniv. ARGH!

changedman

Banned
Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
well i was out driving my dads miata. it is always stored winters. we had to completely charge the batt this year ( didnt disc neg cable) so i was driving and noticed the CEL on. I was like, argh- wtf. my dad is going to think i did s***. So i reset the ECU, its off--- for now.

anyone have ANY ideas on what it COULD be ?!

Just have an auto parts store pull the code when the light pops on again. :) That's the only way to tell, because hunnie, there can be HUNDREDS of different codes for a CEL.

well it could be only a few different CELs considering....

i could eliminate 97% of CELs but im just trying to think which it could be.

no it hasnt come back yet. although i reset the ecu and let it run no more than a minute or two...

pdhaudio83 said:
no it hasnt come back yet. although i reset the ecu and let it run no more than a minute or two...
I wouldn't worry too much man. I was gone for a few weeks and when I got back I was taking the Speed, and the rest of the fleet, out for a welcome home spin when out of nowhere I threw a CEL. I was trippin because I had never thrown a CEL before and what more I was going 30 mph. No revving, no boost, nothing. I did what you did, came home and rest the ECU. Over a month later, still CEL free.

I hate to agree with Micah, but I think it is just one of those quirks of Mazda's ECU programing.

Better to be sensitive with minute tolerances than like most of the older domestic OBDI systems I have seen working at the auto parts store for YEARS--they only trip off when the car is about BROKEN DOWN! :eek:

mazda did that for laughs... dont worry, unless it continually comes back...

honestly the right combination of temp, humidity, and gas quality will set it off. its so fragile....

Why did you reset it without reading the code?

The same thing happened to me today. I went straight to the nearest Autozone and they loaned me a OBD-II reader. I pulled the code, and it said "Idle Management System: Idle too high". Doesn't get any simpler.

OMG WHAT COULD IT BE, LEMME ERASE IT SO I CAN NEVER FIND OUT! (freak)

KpaBap, the object to see if it would indeed cycle though again. guess what. it didnt. it was a loose gas cap i bet.

There is no "too much" when you are talking about our babies.

(I buy mine birthday presents)

:D

Back